DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 PM

Default Food before shows

I was wondering what you guys eat before show's. Mine is pasta/ spagetti. and I drink
gatorade and maybe eat a candy bar. What food do you think is the best fuel for 3 set .
cya Denny
Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Food before shows

I always eat minimal before and find I'm starving afterwards... and that's when I tend to eat.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Petrol. Although it's hard to get hold of leaded four-star these days, I find that is the best supplement for those ridiculous hours I have to put in. That and some good old-fashioned anti-freeze and I'm well on my way.

Jesus Christ. What next? Shoes? Oh wait, we've covered that.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Jesus Christ. What next? Shoes? Oh wait, we've covered that.
Shoes! Really? Sounds like I missed out big time on that one. Please do fill me in ;)
Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Bananas, great for those nerve cell synapses.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 PM

I can't eat a big meal before a gig. I almost never eat anything within 5 hours of playing. I think I play better hungry. I also try never to drink alcohol and play. I am a consummate recorder of gigs and I can tell a huge difference in my playing with and without alcohol. The alcohol tends to make me overplay *gasp* a bit for a blues band.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average View Post
I can't eat a big meal before a gig. I almost never eat anything within 5 hours of playing. I think I play better hungry. I also try never to drink alcohol and play. I am a consummate recorder of gigs and I can tell a huge difference in my playing with and without alcohol. The alcohol tends to make me overplay *gasp* a bit for a blues band.
I agree! Besides, who thinks of food whilst they're playing onstage? Having a bad stomach from the result of food though... yes.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
Shoes! Really? Sounds like I missed out big time on that one. Please do fill me in ;)
Yeah, shoes. Christ. I mean, is playing the drums actually important or is all the preparation more so?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Yeah, shoes. Christ. I mean, is playing the drums actually important or is all the preparation more so?
Ahh yes. Superstitions. Don't get me started. Maybe drummers (myself included) are the only group of people more superstitious about performing than baseball players.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

I Gotta Eat! I always eat! If you've seen my pics, Im sure that you all know that I never miss a meal. Especially a FREE MEAL! Free food and Im there! I don't have a particular diet for playing. I do drink sports drinks as I play. I simply eat whatever food is available at the venue, or nearby. I limit myself to one beer per hour. I alternate the beers with the sports drinks. There is no combination better than playing music with good friends, eating good food, and moderate drink! Im definitely A Foodie!
We all bring food to all of our practices with both bands that I play with.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 08-05-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

I never eat before I play. All I can think about at that point, all I can be about, is playing music. That's my "food." I just have no appetite when I'm going to play, all I can think about is playing.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I Gotta Eat! I always eat! If you've seen my pics, Im sure that you all know that I never miss a meal. Especially a FREE MEAL! Free food and Im there! I don't have a particular diet for playing. I do drink sports drinks as I play. I simply eat whatever food is available at the venue, or nearby. I limit myself to one beer per hour. I alternate the beers with the sports drinks. There is no combination better than playing music, good food, and moderate drink!
If there's a choice of catering or buy outs, through my own experiences I choose to have it afterwards when I'm the most hungry..and I don't care if it's cold or not. Nibbles beforehand if there are any and depending on the gig I may have a wee drink or not.... I always know my limits. If it's something that involves me to push my technique to the limits then I wont touch any. Just common sense.
More importantly though, why am I even writing and sharing this with you all? Am I really that bored this evening? Yes!! Someone will be created a post next called.. " poo.... pre or post gig. Importance"?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Someone will be created a post next called.. " poo.... pre or post gig. Importance"?
You mean there isn't?! and we call ourselves drummers...
Old 08-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

I like to drink as much liquid as possible before I go on. Having to urinate and not being able to definitely makes me play better.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If there's a choice of catering or buy outs, through my own experiences I choose to have it afterwards when I'm the most hungry..and I don't care if it's cold or not. Nibbles beforehand if there are any and depending on the gig I may have a wee drink or not.... I always know my limits. If it's something that involves me to push my technique to the limits then I wont touch any. Just common sense.
More importantly though, why am I even writing and sharing this with you all? Am I really that bored this evening? Yes!! Someone will be created a post next called.. " poo.... pre or post gig. Importance"?
I've been going with the groove myself! Just staying in the pocket! Im hungry now! Im gonna cook me some marinated venison steaks on my grill with some corn and sweet potatoes! Im also gonna have another Martini, cause Im not gigging tonight.
See Yas later bye!
Old 08-05-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I've been going with the groove myself! Just staying in the pocket! Im hungry now! Im gonna cook me some marinated venison steaks on my grill with some corn and sweet potatoes! Im also gonna have another Martini, cause Im not gigging tonight.
See Yas later bye!
Mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm....Sounds good!

Speaking of food. Does anyone have any good recipes? Oh sorry I forgot we're on a drum forum.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:36 AM

I'll go along with pasta and Gatorade. Load up on carbs and electrolytes. Probably just earlier in the day rather than right before.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdgdw View Post
You mean there isn't?! and we call ourselves drummers...
What do you mean.. PRE or POST... I always made sure we had at least two songs in our repertoire that didn't require drums... Just in case... @;) But, actually, I'm serious..! @:-O

And, Sports drinks...?! Is Johny "Walker" a sports drink..!?!

Back to post... Man when I use to do weddings... I would scarf it down..
Old 08-05-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Doc Yak View Post
I'll go along with pasta and Gatorade. Load up on carbs and electrolytes. Probably just earlier in the day rather than right before.
Yeah nothing too heavy. Like you said - earlier in the day is better so it has time to get out of your stomach. Feeling full while playing is distracting, at least for me. I find I have more of an edge if I'm hungry.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

I like a light meal but nothing heavy. People of middle-European background perish if they don't eat (at least!) every 4 hours, but a big meal makes me feel like blobbing out.

I enjoy alcohol with playing - not a bad life, playing music and enjoying a few drinks! One or two glasses of red is nice while playing or during a break but not beforehand. I can relate to others here who talk about overplaying if they drink too much.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm....Sounds good!

Speaking of food. Does anyone have any good recipes? Oh sorry I forgot we're on a drum forum.
You need ask..? Chicken. Drumsticks, of course. For seasonings, if you like, sage, rosemary and thyme.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I like eating 2 or 3 hours beforehand. I only eat good carbs (veggies, whole grains) to avoid the inevitable crash later, and make sure I eat some protein. I can't do alcohol at all, so water is the thing to drink, for me. No sugar either. With whole unprocessed foods, the kind you find on the outer (refrigerated) aisles of the supermarket, and water, it's all the energy my body needs.
Providing yourself with the foods that your body requires is the single most important thing you can do for yourself. If you give your body the wrong fuel (sugars, white bread, red bull)...it's like running a gasoline engine on a fuel other than gasoline, and your body won't "run" as good as it is capable of.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
red bull)...it's like running a gasoline engine on a fuel other than gasoline, and your body won't "run" as good as it is capable of.
Dave Lombardo fuels himself on red bull and it doesn't do him much harm. But just eating healthily in general is just common sense. Whatever you do.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

A kamikaze or two!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

I used to have a whole series of what I would eat and drink to make sure I was in the best shape and mindset before a gig, but now, when I play gigs more nights than I have off, and occasionally have 2 or 3 full length gigs in the same day, I have learned that you just gotta do what you can. Yesterday we played a music festival on empty stomachs, because Google Maps was WAY off on how long it would take to get there, and we basically arrived and ran right onto the stage. After that, our options were...cheesesteaks. So I wolfed one down, and we were on the road to a community pool party we were playing. Got there with about 30 minutes before we had to hit our first note, so we threw the gear up, soundchecked, and started right away. Between sets, we were brought cold chicken nuggets and fries. Whatever. Gotta eat...all of this time playing was outdoors in 90 degree heat. Still have to play at the top of your game though.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM
TFITTING942

[quote=Pollyanna;600349]
I enjoy alcohol with playing - not a bad life, playing music and enjoying a few drinks! rQUOTE]

Beer, is there anything it can't do?

Whatever Marco Minnemen eats to play like he does, that's what I want. It's gotta be the food!
Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

I tend to carb up in the morning for an evening/night show, catch a Jamba Juice with some energy boosters and protein in it on the way to the club to set up and get me through the show, and plenty of gatorade or water to get through the set. I try not to drink alcohol prior to the set, but after everything's packed up and taken to the car... well, that's a whole different story.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

I always have something to eat before I play.... I don't like the weak feeling you can get when you have not eaten in awhile from low blood sugar...or shakes. So I have something but not right before I play. Plenty of water also ( much like when I bike) is also a good thing...cleans you out and makes me feel much more clear headed.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 PM

i eat mostly "food" (more lyk pure sugar) that doesnt get to heavy while your playing (i hate that feeling of being kinda heavy), before the show, wit plenty of Coke (yes i know, bad for your health) but all the sugar keeps me real awake, and gets me pumped up with energy. I cant really call it eating because i eat normally at breakfast and at lunch but i dont really eat anything consistent in the evening before the show. By the way my band plays metal, and i with all the headbanging and stuff i dont think its recomended to eat tons of pizza/pasta.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:23 PM

I eat about three bananas forthe potssauim to keep me limber and i drink some water when the gigs over i chow down.I once had a full three course meal then played a gig what a mistake that was.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretsch88 View Post
I was wondering what you guys eat before show's. Mine is pasta/ spagetti. and I drink
gatorade and maybe eat a candy bar. What food do you think is the best fuel for 3 set .
cya Denny
More important than food (within reason) is WATER, you should ALWAYS hydrate before a gig. Getting overheated and dehydrated can make you feel like crap during a gig.

Heavy coffee drinking and alcohol consumption depletes your hydration also, so be careful with that as well.

Eating PIZZA as your main sorce of fuel will get you DEAD just like all the pizza guzzling players in the Ramones. RIP Joey and Johnny.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace

Last edited by Vipercussionist; 08-05-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
Heavy coffee drinking and alcohol consumption depletes your hydration also, so be careful with that as well.
and makes you have to pee in the middle of the set too!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Anything w/ alot of carbs so i have energy. I try not to drink too much just because i dont want to have to 'excuse' myself halfway into the show. But i usually take a few sips of water and bring a water bottle w/ me.