DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:03 PM

Default How should i set up my drums/heights etc...

http://

Here's a picture of me on my kit, I honestly didn't think I look liked that on the kit, and it just looks unusual. None of the drummers I've seen look like that on the kit compared to their drums. I know this isn't a very good explaination, but does something look wrong? Snare height? Throne? Hi hat height?
Old 05-22-2016, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How should i set up my drums/heights etc...

Setup looks fine to me. Does it feel comfortable and easy to play?

What looks unusual to you in the picture?
Old 05-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Setup looks fine to me. Does it feel comfortable and easy to play?

What looks unusual to you in the picture?

I agree looks good to me. It doesn't matter how other drummers you've seen have their kit setup. That may not work for you, you need to set them up so you are comfy. Snare looks like it's at a good height, throne height looks good, tom height looks good. Very ergonomic setup in my book. Also keep in mind the angle of the pic can make the perspective look odd, in the image you posted the camera is fairly low looking up, may look different if the camera was higher and more at shoulder level for you

Only thing I would ask is how's the height of the crash feel?

BTW nice looking kit!
Old 05-23-2016, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

I think the biggest mistake many drummers make is trying to set up their kit based on look instead of feel.

It doesn't matter how it looks and it doesn't matter how it compares to other drummers. Your drumset needs to be set up so you are comfortable and you feel the most freedom to play what you want.

If you are unsure, tear everything down and start from scratch. Remove everything and start with the throne. Make sure the height is comfortable. Too high or low and you'll feel tension in your legs when playing hi hat/bass drum, or you won't feel stable and balanced. Add the snare and make sure you have height and angle that gives you the most freedom to play naturally. Place your pedals where your feet naturally want to be on the floor. From there I'd try a little air drumming to see where you naturally want hi hat, tom, and cymbal height/angle/placement to be.

Try playing in the dark or with your eyes closed. If you hit what you're wanting to, it's probably in the right place. If not, well...

What you end up with might not look like what you'd expect or what other drummers' kits look like, but it might be the most comfortable way to set up for you.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

Play to be comfortable :) I tend to sit lower than you so my legs are at 90 degrees. Apart from that, All looks great
Old 05-23-2016, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Looks good to me.

I'd personally have the hi-hat and snare a inch or so further apart, but that's not about ergonomics, just back beat power, personal technique and preferences and all that...
Old 05-23-2016, 12:52 AM
The SunDog

Ditto on all points. I've seen a lot of drummers do their thing and you don't look strange or awkward at all. You sit a bit higher than I do, but many others do too, I sit with my thighs parallel to the ground, so a lot of drummers sit higher or lower than me. I can understand you being interested in how it looks to others when you play, but maybe don't be overly concerned. First off your posture looks good, pretty textbook, and second, most drummers look like apes when they play. Put a mirror up across from you. I used to rehearse in a ballet studio, with mirrors on every wall so the dancers could see their form. It works for drummers too.

Last edited by The SunDog; 05-23-2016 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 AM
Administrator - Mayor

The only thing I see from many is the lack of 8 cymbals 3 feet above the drums. If you can sit there and play, reach everything without stretching and get around you kit for fills etc, then that is your set. Not to fear. Play on.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

It's a weird angle to really determine if anything should be possibly moved, plus if everything feels right for you then that's all that really matters!

I'd personally move the hi-hats up 3-4 inches, lower the floor tom 2-3 inches and possibly move the rack tom in closer but that's just my preference, does anything FEEL off to you when you're playing???
Old 05-23-2016, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Setup looks fine to me, you're not overstretching to hit anything.

Best thing is your snare is at a good height. Bit of a pet peeve when you see a drummer with a snare below the knees and bruised thighs.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:42 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Two notes. One, higher hi-hats will cause sticks to wear much faster because of the edges, and two, I like the floor tom being level with the snare. Makes for balanced playing. But again no right, or wrong.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Just from my perspective, your seating position is just a bit high and your cymbals seem quite low. Snare looks well positioned for your seat height with your hi-hat being a bit low in relation to the snare. But yeah, if it works for you that's all that counts.

I've always used two rack toms so that has a way of pushing the ride cymbal up for me. I like my ride cymbal about bicep height and my crashes a little above shoulder height, but not much. As long as they clear each other on any up and down movement, I'm good.

Keep Rockin!

Cheers,
JR