DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:04 PM

Default Playing covers vs. playing originals... or both?

Hello all,

My brother and I are both drummers. He's 41 and I'm 28. We both have been playing our entire lives due to our father being a drummer as well.

Our dad was big in the cover scene, played a few originals, but mainly did covers for paying gigs. Which is fine, he was great at that.

My brother likes to influence me on trying to get into a cover band. He was lucky enough to go on tour with an old Oi hardcore punk band throughout the 90s and has now been just playing covers. That's cool for him, its obnoxious when he seems to brag and sends me texts like "So, I have 2 unexpected gigs this week for $125 ea. You keep bitchin' about being broke and I'll keep playing covers. Too bad you're stubborn and don't see the value in learning covers people will pay to hear...."

What he doesn't get is that I do see the value, I have played covers, I have nothing against playing covers. I just choose to play original music for the time being because that's what I like to do.

Am I wrong because I don't care to play for money right now? Or should I consider learning and playing covers and getting paid?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Playing covers vs. playing originals... or both?

Short answer, do what makes you happy, bro.

Long explanation: A lot of us here cut our teeth on covers and making the rounds playing covers can be a very rewarding experience, both monetarily and musically. Right now I'm in 2 bands, one a totally original band, the other a tribute band. The tribute band is fun and everything, and it pays, while the other band doesn't get the same offers as much. But for me, writing and playing originals is worlds more satisfying to me. The process of writing, arranging, and constructing your very own drum part for a tune and then displaying it on stage and on record for an audience I think you'll find is more rewarding in a musically spiritual sense. The financial gains may be few and far between, but that's when you start asking yourself if it's worth it. For me it is. Playing covers, as well as competing with all the other cookie cutter cover bands for gigs in my area, while fun and entertaining for a while, gets old and dissatisfying pretty quickly, at least for me. Just my opinion.

TL/DR: No you're not wrong. I do this for fun, not to be a rock star. IMO, nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

I am with you on this. I make no money, spend a fortune on gear, play in the shittiest, seediest metal bars you can imagine in front of almost nobody most of the time. And I absolutely love every minute of it. I cant imagine playing in a cover band would be nearly as fulfilling. Everything I play I have written and I have a personal connection to. I have help write and compose every one of our songs and I am more proud of them than anything else in my life. I cant imagine playing covers could ever offer even a fraction of the satisfaction I get playing originals.

That being said, keep doing what your doing. There is more to life than money my friend.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Why are you playing?

If it's for more gigs and money - covers are your best bet.

If covers don't provide the musical satisfaction you're seeking and don't mind less gigs and perhaps little to no money - play covers.

Some bands get away with a mix of both.

I've done done both. I've done all the gigs I ever need to do in my life and have gotten that out of my system. I play for me and could give a rip about any of it.

I'd sell every piece of gear I own before I'd play in a cover band again or be subjected to play a 2/4 back beat all night. I have no interest in listening / watching or participating in any of it. Musically, it leaves me feeling like I've been eating junk food for the last 10 months.

Then again, I'm a jazz drummer who loves to play with the people I play with on my terms.. Not for the money - for the music.

Last edited by dmacc; 06-18-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

This always an interesting debate, but I thin there's a middle ground here. I'm a jazz guy and I spend 90% of my time playing jazz with various groups. It's rare that anyone is playing an original song, but we're also not playing covers. If we play Autumn Leaves (for example) we're playing our own arrangement of it.

I've done the same for rock/pop tunes with other groups. I've been playing with a rockabilly group lately which has been doing it's own arrangement of a Rolling Stones song (I forget the name "please allow me to introduce myself"). And crowds go crazy for it, because they know the lyrics and the melody, but they can feel that it's our arrangement, and we're happy because we're not churning out something that sounds like the rolling stones.

I can't imagine anything more boring or soul-draining than sitting there playing the greatest hits of the 70s and 80s all night, exactly as they were played back then, but some of those songs are pretty good if you come up with your own arrangements.

I think the key for any band is to find a their niche, and their passion, and use that to their advantage rather than trying to play like other people. Find the style/sound that you love and then you can write originals or play arrangements of tunes that people know, but make them your own.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:11 PM

I can see both sides of this. I am in an original band that plays between 20-40 shows a year on average and get enjoyment out of playing songs I have helped create. It is awesome when you get people coming up to you enjoying songs you have taken time to create. Pay tends to be about $300 per gig.

At the same time, I get enjoyment out of playing cover songs. Seeing people sing along, having fun, dancing and having a great time. It is not something you get with originals too much. No one knows the words. People rarely dance. The pay can be the same or a bit better, but little to no creativity goes into it!

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy!
Old 06-18-2015, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

I've done most of my playing in original bands. It is much more satisfying, IMO. I think the cover band songs get old really quick, and songs that used to be some of my favorite soon become my least favorites. People's songlists are so predictable too. The same old songs but with a different set of cast members. It all gets so tired and uninteresting after awhile and it seems like they and their simple minds are the only ones having fun while they try to sing Hit Me With Your Best Shot for the hundred thousandth time. The reason the songs get old so fast is that you're not just hearing that same old song, you're hearing the crappy cover band version of the song for the hundred thousandth time.

I have to say, most of the bands I see are crap, be it cover or original. That's why I just like to play for fun and love of the instrument. I like my jam band where we show up and just jam for 3 or 4 hours. No gigs set, no song list, no idea what we'll play until we start to play it. Unfortunately this band is on hiatus, so I'm forced to play more covers just to keep up my chops and have more time in the saddle so-to-speak.

Last edited by Midnite Zephyr; 06-18-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Why are you playing?

If it's for more gigs and money - covers are your best bet.

If covers don't provide the musical satisfaction you're seeking and don't mind less gigs and perhaps little to no money - play covers.

Some bands get away with a mix of both.

I've done done both. I've done all the gigs I ever need to do in my life out of my system. I play for me and could give a rip about any of it.

I'd sell every piece of gear I own before I'd play in a cover band again or be subjected to play a 2/4 back beat all night. I have no interest in listening / watching or participating in any of it. Musically, it leaves me feeling like I've been eating junk food for the last 10 months.

Then again, I'm a jazz drummer who loves to play with the people I play with on my terms.. Not for the money - for the music.

My thoughts exactly. I like what I do now. I still have that creative fire inside of me burning red hot. I have band practice tonight and I couldn't be anymore ecstatic to jam on songs I'm proud of writing.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

The conversation you had with your brother:

"its obnoxious when he seems to brag and sends me texts"
"You keep bitchin' about being broke and I'll keep playing covers."
"Too bad you're stubborn and don't see the value in learning covers people will pay to hear...."

The issues you have here have nothing to do with playing drums. They have to do with your relationship with your brother.
Work on improving your relationship with your brother and you will get more enjoyment out of playing the drums.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

I was the other way round, I cut my drumming teeth playing originals. In some ways its easier cos you play what the song suggests and comes naturaly to you, on the other hand you are depending on your creativity to lend the song its feel. Also, no one can tell you you are playing it wrong. Ha.

Playing covers can be both easier, as you have a structure and drums to follow, or more difficult if the drumming is not your style or is beyond your skill level.
I tend to go for the flavour and groove of the song but make the drumming my own, unless its a signature drum song like "Levee" or even "All right now". Those, If we ever covered them, I would leave as the recording as the drumming is essential to the feel.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
The conversation you had with your brother:

"its obnoxious when he seems to brag and sends me texts"
"You keep bitchin' about being broke and I'll keep playing covers."
"Too bad you're stubborn and don't see the value in learning covers people will pay to hear...."

The issues you have here have nothing to do with playing drums. They have to do with your relationship with your brother.
Work on improving your relationship with your brother and you will get more enjoyment out of playing the drums.

Yea, true. My brother has this controlling issue and thinks he's correct always. Our relationship is fine otherwise.

I do enjoy playing my drums. So much that I choose to relocate to the city we practice in, instead of driving an hour to it.

beyond the brother issue, I wanted to hear thoughts on cover bands as I would possibly consider it in my later years.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

I've only ever sat in for a few songs with cover bands but it was a lot of fun and I can definitely see the appeal of playing a broad set of styles with familiar material. But if I were ever to seriously think about getting into that world, it wouldn't be for the money. I never understood that justification. I have a regular job for providing a livelihood and stressing me out. Playing in a band needs to be satisfying and fun.

To be fair, plenty of originals bands get hung up on money and oversimplifying the music to make it "accessible" to some target audience, so it's not a given that there's more creative latitude there. Also, if money were the big driver, there's far more of that, plus glory, with an original band that manages to break through.

All my favorite bands - the ones that inspire me - are original, and almost all of them would have been great even without their success. Plenty of great bands are never heard outside of their local scenes.

My Band
Old 06-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

If you have a well-paying day job, and play purely for you own enjoyment then just do whatever makes you happy---If you have responsibilities like a house, and a family you suck it up and do what it takes to keep your kids fed and clothed properly---I'm 50 now, and can do what I want, but I don't regret playing Sweet Home Alabama until it made me sick so my kids had nice shoes for school!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblastbeats View Post
Yea, true. My brother has this controlling issue and thinks he's correct always. Our relationship is fine otherwise.

I do enjoy playing my drums. So much that I choose to relocate to the city we practice in, instead of driving an hour to it.

beyond the brother issue, I wanted to hear thoughts on cover bands as I would possibly consider it in my later years.
As I stated before, playing covers is fun until it's not. If you decide to go that route, I'd suggest finding ways to keep it fresh. Make the parts your own. Stick with the intent and formula of the tune, but put your stamp on it. That way there's still a little bit of creative wiggle room, while keeping things exciting.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:08 PM
"Uncle Larry"

A good song is a good song, doesn't matter who wrote it. All songs were original at one time. I'll never understand the delineation. They're all songs. Original songs are great, but so are the tried and true songs. The reason people play covers is because these songs have proven themselves to be well liked and if there's one thing I can say for certain...most audiences would rather hear stuff they know.

I don't get the snobbery. I get into the zone playing a good song. Whether that song was written by us or not us doesn't really even matter.

I take my hat off to anyone who can insert a popular song into the culture. It's not enough to be an original song though. Original and bad is still bad. It has to be a really great song to be of any real value.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
A good song is a good song, doesn't matter who wrote it. All songs were original at one time. I'll never understand the delineation. They're all songs. Original songs are great, but so are the tried and true songs. The reason people play covers is because these songs have proven themselves to be well liked and if there's one thing I can say for certain...most audiences would rather hear stuff they know.

I don't get the snobbery. I get into the zone playing a good song. Whether that song was written by us or not us doesn't really even matter.

I take my hat off to anyone who can insert a popular song into the culture. It's not enough to be an original song though. Original and bad is still bad. It has to be a really great song to be of any real value.
Some covers are great, and every band I've done we have had at least one cover song in our set.

I wouldn't mind doing a Black Sabbath and Led Zep band called Black Zeppelin, or Stairway To The Grave..
Old 06-18-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

I believe it's all relative Larry. A good song IS a good song, until I've heard it for the millionth time at my local watering hole, whether it's coming from a jukebox or a live band. Then it's just annoying. I wouldn't call that snobbery. Snobbery would be saying, "I'm too good to play in a cover band. That's beneath me." I don't think that way by any means. I'm not too good for anything, and it's quite difficult to get beneath a snake's ass, which is where I sit in the music industry food chain. I'm just saying I have to mix it up a bit to keep from getting complacent both in my playing and my appreciation for good music.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:31 PM

play in a cover band a couple times a month to help finance your originals projects.

If your brother doesn't admire that then you can at least tell him how great you feel making money and fulfilling your own musical identity.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Right on my drumming brother !

Good to know.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDrummernamedJoe View Post
I believe it's all relative Larry. A good song IS a good song, until I've heard it for the millionth time at my local watering hole, whether it's coming from a jukebox or a live band. Then it's just annoying. I wouldn't call that snobbery. Snobbery would be saying, "I'm too good to play in a cover band. That's beneath me." I don't think that way by any means. I'm not too good for anything, and it's quite difficult to get beneath a snake's ass, which is where I sit in the music industry food chain. I'm just saying I have to mix it up a bit to keep from getting complacent both in my playing and my appreciation for good music.
This... totally. Heck, when I "accidentally" turn the radio on and still hear the same stuff that was played when I turned it on 40 years ago, I shake my head. I can't believe someone still wants to hear it.

Obviously I'm in the minority.

For the record (at least in my case) there's plenty jazz standards I hope I never play or hear again as well. Why? Heard and played a million times over every which way to Sunday.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with your bro.

I play covers and have only been at it for just a year. I think it's a fantastic experience, big learning curve and just about the best way to earn a bit of pocket money. I would never get as much stage time playing originals and I'm sorry to say that you get a much better reception from the audience by playing stuff they already know. Some of it sucks but you can learn to like it or at least get a kick out of making someone else smile. I have learned music and music history that I otherwise wouldn't have known.

Playing covers has made me much more confident playing live. So I have lots of good things to say about it.

I also play originals and get to explore all my progressive timey stuff. And I practice all my chops and double bass at home. I have the time to do both so I don't have to choose between them.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

I played a lot of covers in my early 20's. At once point I was playing 3 nights a week for cash.

The cash was nice, but I got to the point where I realized this is just not why I spent all that time taking lessons and practicing. So I stopped playing covers, moved to Los Angeles and threw myself into the original scene.

I may not have found fame or fortune, or made any money, but it was the best decision for me.

Covers are fun, but my heart is in original music.

Now in my mid 40's, I have a wonderful wife and two kids. The thought of having to go play in some dank bar playing Mustang Sally or whatever for the 10,000,000th time just to make $50 or $100 or whatever sounds insane. I'd rather be home with my family.

Music can be commerce, but music is also art, and sometimes you can't put a price on art.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Music is music so play what you want to.

Make sure you are not sticking to originals because you think it's cool. Playing other people's music is how most musicians learn their craft and develop their own ideas.

And, forget all about money because you are not going to make any :)
Old 06-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
Music is music so play what you want to.

Make sure you are not sticking to originals because you think it's cool. Playing other people's music is how most musicians learn their craft and develop their own ideas.

And, forget all about money because you are not going to make any :)
All true.

Playing other people's music is definitely how I learned to play and shaped how I see the instrument, and music in general. I still sit at home learning covers, but that never translated into me wanting to be in a cover band.

Love your line about the money! Funny as it is, it's also worth taking seriously. Making friends with that (likely) reality will set you free to enjoy the experience of just playing for its own sake. I lost count of all the players I've seen burn out and hang it all up once they realized there was no real money in it.

My Band
Old 06-18-2015, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

I think that the solution is to start an Allman Brothers tribute band with your brother.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
.... Playing other people's music is how most musicians learn their craft and develop their own ideas....
A total true and valid statement. Though at some point you reach a point to compile it all and make it your own.

Continuing to listen intently to music is critical in this process. I don't play covers any longer and will never again, but it doesn't mean I don't bring in ideas from what I listen to.

I guess my point is one does not need to play covers to do bring in new ideas.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
I think that the solution is to start an Allman Brothers tribute band with your brother.
PERFECT !.......

Old 06-19-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Or a Kinks tribute band!
Old 06-19-2015, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer View Post
Or a Kinks tribute band!
Did the Kinks have two drummers also?
Old 06-19-2015, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Did the Kinks have two drummers also?
No, but they had brothers who argued.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I love this forum.............

Old 06-19-2015, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
OK, thus the correlation.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:01 AM
Gold Member

Right now I'd be happy just to play. But I can't, because half my stuff is in a container on its way to the mainland. Covers, originals, original interpretations of covers, I don't give a sh!t. I JUST WANT TO PLAY.

Do what makes you happy, and tell anyone who gives you grief for your choices to STFU and stop being such a douchecanoe.

Bob Davis

www.reconstructinghistory.com
Old 06-19-2015, 04:58 AM
Senior Consultant

I have never played in a cover band. It never appealed to me.
It all comes down to what you want. The points have already pretty much been made.
In the end, we all take what we want and we all pay for it.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
....Am I wrong because I don't care to play for money right now? Or should I consider learning and playing covers and getting paid?
If you have a day job that pays the bills, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:06 AM

Playing in a cover band is good for beginner drummers because it forces you to play different styles. And you learn arrangements. But ultimately it becomes a death sentence for creativity, mainly if you are doing steady Fri Sat gigs every week.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

I see cover bands the same way I see corporate restaurants; they are super professional, busy, and provide a quality product, and you make good money... but it's the same as the one in the next city, they'll never get any better, the money usually won't change, it can surpress creativity as you're working in more of an assembly line fashion, the "menu" is so big that you can do a pretty good job at a wide cariety of styles, but never really excel at one.

Conversely, an original band is just like opening an independent restaurant: it's often more exciting and creatively satisfying, you can make your own rules and do things your way, you have the ability to grow to be as big as you want (if you put in the work), you can find your niche and focus on that style... but it's going to be very slow at first, it's hard to build a following, you need to put in a great deal of time and effort, you have to be able to write the songs and the music, not everyone is going to like your stuff, you're going to appeal to smaller percentage of the population.

The third solution is more what I do, the consultant. I don't come accross many "cover" bands in jazz, but we have GB bands that play all Sinatra or stuff like that. As a hired gun, I get to work as much as I want, with all sorts of groups, I don't need to memorize or learn someone else's parts, I'm pretty free creatively, the money is usually pretty great, and I'm constantly making new connections and meeting new people... but I have to constantly hustle, I'm a slave to the busy seasons (often from November to December I have a gig every night), which usually means there are no nights/weekends off or family time, I'm also a slave to slower seasons, where I might only have 4-5 gigs a month, there's a lot of competition (especially with there being so many music schools in the Boston area), I sometimes have to take gigs that I don't really enjoy, and although I'm working all the time, I'm all by myself, so my success depends on these other groups whch can be out of my control.

That's how I've always seen the music scene. I know that others may have different experiences than me, and that I'm mostly in New England and New York... I have no idea what the scene is like in Texas or Califronia. Each of these paths has it's pros and cons, and there are great players accross all three, it all depends what you are looking for.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:33 PM

These are all great!

A few good laughs. I see it as my brother is just hungry for money and never really had the creativity that I do, he has always done covers and so that's cool for him for sure.

I work full time as an engineer and need a creative outlet from corporate America. Like I mentioned before, we throw covers in from time to time on stuff we really want to play.

The most I've made from my musical career has never been enough to live off of, but just playing for myself, and better yet in front of people. Just sharing my music has been all the satisfaction I've needed to keep me going for the past 20 years.

I also like to think that if I were to get paid to play and make it a job, that entails "work" (that four letter word that hurts peoples feelings) and along with work takes the fun out of everything.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

If you wanna make a living playing music you will end up playing cover tunes at some point.

Then again, I made a pretty nice living playing OPM (Other People's Music) for 25 years. Then the realization struck that just playing OPM would not give me any long term gains so I began focusing on the original stuff.

So now I do my best to keep a original project or two brewing and will take pretty much any decent gig that comes across my bow. "Decent" boils down to three things: Money, Music and Hang. Two of those have to gel.

If the Money's great and the music sucks but the hang's great, then yes. If the money sucks but the music and hang are great, then yes. If the money sucks, the music's great but the hang sucks (as in someone's a raving polarized a-hole) then no. I can play great music and get crap pay with people who are fun to be around.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 06-19-2015, 08:29 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I guess I'm just in an ornery mood lately, but I have to take issue with the so called lack of creativity that's being pinned onto the whole cover band thing. It mildly gets my goat on a few different levels. Maybe they are unjustified, feel free to blast, but here they are:

When I hear people say they want to be able to be creative onstage, and that they can't do it with covers, I feel that if they can't do it with covers, they can't do it with originals. Most bands don't do covers note for note, not even close. I know I play the songs how I would have recorded it, without losing the elements that made it work in the first place. But note for note? No. IMO there's just as much room for creativity in a cover tune than in an original tune.

Also when I hear people say they want to be "creative" on the bandstand....I have to wonder if they go off into their own world and are not team playing anymore. If I have the urge to get creative....when no one is expecting it....how will that impact the other players? Drums don't float over the top of things, if they move, the whole song moves. I assume being creative must automatically mean that whatever is being creatively played, will fit in with everyone else. Just like in any other song right? Even a cover song. I don't see any difference.

Another thing, being creative, to me is a single person thing. On a bandstand, I feel a team mentality works best. So being creative comes at a team cost....unless the person knows how to satisfy his team....and themselves...at the same time. Nothing wrong if that can be done. But if it can't? Being part of the team trumps individual personal satisfaction every day, in my world anyway.