DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Tricks for faster set up

+1 on the Rock N Roller cart! I've had mine for years and it is the best purchase i've ever made for drums. (Other than the drums themselves of course!) It extends the exact length of my hardware bag. I place that on it first. Load the bass drum and floor tom next on top, followed by the two racks on top of those, with the snare in the middle. Wedge in my drum rug, slide my cymbal bag in the side against one of the handles, wrap it in bungees and carry it all in one trip! I refuse to have to make two trips. I never get to park close enough to the venue, so i maximize my time with one trip and have more time to set up.

Also I've found throwing down your drum rug as soon as possible "saves" your space from encroaching guitar amps! Then I unload my drums in the spots they will be on the rug and quickly un-bag them. My soft bags all nest inside of each other and I unpack drums large to small so I can nest as i go. Bass drum and pedal, mount with toms on top, snare and stand, floor tom and legs, then all cymbal stands around everything else. I move everything away as soon as i can to let everyone else set up without my stuff in the way. The I go back and put the cymbals on the stands and check the positions. It takes me about fifteen to thirty minutes tops. And I can't stress enough about always giving yourself more than enough time to set up! It's so much more stress free and you get to be precise and not get sloppy and set up something wrong and only notice halfway though the first song!

Last edited by RockNGrohl; 04-04-2015 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:28 AM
"Uncle Larry"

How do you deal with stairs with a 4 wheel cart?
Old 04-04-2015, 02:39 AM

Funny you should ask that, Larry.. I can use the cart to get me to the door and then I have to unload it all and carry piece by piece... yup. One of two stairs is okay. A whole flight, nuh-uh!

BTW shame on any club that uses long staircases! I played at club in Portland, ME that shall be nameless. The side entrance for us was a door that opened from the inside only. Lucky for us, a member of one of the other bands held it open for us as he was in the know about the venue. The you get in and it's one long set of stair sup to the main club floor, and another long set of stairs down to the "green" area, which is really just a ratty hallway where you store your gear and cases. Up one to unload, set up, then down the one, around the little turn, and down the other. Whew! i'm winded just typing about it! How we ever got loaded in so fast I'll never know.. maybe it was adrenaline for the show which was going to be on local cable tv.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:47 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I play a club in Philly from time to time that has THE steepest staircase I know of. It's downright dangerous. I have a 2 wheel rock bag type of hardware cart, which I can pull up staircases. But I don't have a 4 wheel and still make 3 trips to my vehicle. Then at least 4 trips up those stairs. Luckily I can park close to my gigs and leave my vehicle there. This particular bar...the wonderful Philadelphia Parking Authority will have a ticket on your windshield in 10 seconds after your meter expires, it's brutal.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:11 PM

A lot of great tips so far. I like Bermudas cymbal topper things and I am looking to get some.
I always bring my rug into a gig first. It has black sharpie marks on it where I traced my pedals and rack feet so I can get my kit back the way I like it.
I bring in my stealth racks and place them exactly where they go by lining up the marks on the rug. then add my bass drum and floor toms.
my hardware bag has my snare basket, bass drum tom mount, and cymbal arms. I simply drop the cymbal arms into the rack tubes till they reach the memory locks and tighten the wing nut. same for the snare basket. I use a double pedal and have tape on the connecting rod to get it the same each time. the last thing I do is add my cymbals. by the time I do this, the kit is already complete so I take my time while sitting behind the kit and do each one as it comes out of the bag. the hi hat clutch doesn't bother me because im not rushing by this point.
Return of the Andy Nemesis
Old 04-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

Agreed about the carts. The number of trips back and forth from stage to car are what eats time. I have a small folding flat-bed cart for when I have my little car packed with PA and drums, but if I can fit my Rock-n-roller cart in without the PA, then I can do it all in two trips. One if I steer the cart with one hand and guide the wheeled hardware bag with the other.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

I play a bop kit and setting up / tearing down seems to take forever (can't use memory locks b/c I have to fold my stands to fit in their case; can't use tape b/c most places we play are pretty small so I use their rugs and get in where I fit in).

But the hi-hat clutch and cymbal wingnuts never even registered as problems ... just a quick whisk-whisk and they're on/off. Wonder what I'm doing wrong.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:23 PM
Gold Member

So far here are a few things I have learned:

Cymbal topper
quick release HH clutch
Leave mics and clips assembled (though I will need to find a container of some sort since the mfg has cutouts in the foam.
Use your throne as a table.

Here are a few that you all reaffirmed for me:
don't telescope stands
mark the rug
choose a packing and set up/tear down sequence

Great stuff. Thanks to all that have added to this thread.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

My signature tricks are single-braced hardware and bass-drum mounted cymbal holders. My drums aren't particularly small but I can have a three-cymbal set up (2 20"s and a 21", plus hi-hat) with only two stands which frees me up to have a snare-mounted tom. Another modification I made to my kit was to have legs on the floor tom. Saves you spending forever faffing around trying to get the cymbal stand's position right when you're finding the 'sweet spot' for both. I don't bother with wing nuts either.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:26 PM

I use a 3 piece PDP rack with a 6 piece kit (3 up 1 down), memory locked for major pieces. The cymbal arms and tom mounts are easily adjustable. The only seperate stands or pieces are the snare & hi-hat stands, throne, pedal, and floor tom legs.

It can be setup in under 10 minutes, most of that time is unbagging and setting up the cymbals. Teardown time is roughly the same, though I can clear the stage in a minute or two as a majority of the pieces are on the rack. That is a two man operation though.

Last edited by uhtrinity; 04-07-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Gold Member

I also have. The ride that mount to the bd hoop with the dw attachment. Saves 1 stand. Have a crash that mounts to the most rearward leg of the floor tom saves another stand.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Recently I replaced my hard cymbal case with a soft backpack style which has several dividers inside. Saves time in two ways:

Less trips to the car. The cymbals go on my back while the drums and rug are stacked on a small trolley and the stands are in a hardware bag with wheels. I can bring the whole 4 or 5 piece kit in one trip from the car, if its a smooth, flat path.

Saves time unpacking/repacking cymbals. I stand the case on my drum stool, unzip it and pull out the cymbals in any order. Same packing up. No need to stack them in size order and do up a wing nut. Just slide them into the bag and zip it up.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I play a club in Philly from time to time that has THE steepest staircase I know of. It's downright dangerous. I have a 2 wheel rock bag type of hardware cart, which I can pull up staircases. But I don't have a 4 wheel and still make 3 trips to my vehicle. Then at least 4 trips up those stairs. Luckily I can park close to my gigs and leave my vehicle there. This particular bar...the wonderful Philadelphia Parking Authority will have a ticket on your windshield in 10 seconds after your meter expires, it's brutal.
Which club is it Larry? I played at one in Philly that sounds the exact same! Longest set of stairs ever and they go straight up! Definitely did not enjoy providing backline since I was climbing, what felt like, a ten story building.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:10 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzDrummer View Post
Which club is it Larry? I played at one in Philly that sounds the exact same! Longest set of stairs ever and they go straight up! Definitely did not enjoy providing backline since I was climbing, what felt like, a ten story building.
The Twisted Tail, 509 S. 2nd St. Phila. They have a badly headed and tuned 80's 4 piece Ludwig drumkit there to use, no thank you. I'd rather risk my neck hauling my kit up those stairs.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
The Twisted Tail, 509 S. 2nd St. Phila. They have a badly headed and tuned 80's 4 piece Ludwig drumkit there to use, no thank you. I'd rather risk my neck hauling my kit up those stairs.
Ok, the one I was at was Bourbon & Branch 705 N. 2nd St. Phila. Only 2 miles up the road. Building pretty much looked the same, makes sense the stairs were probably as deadly!
Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Matt Bo Eder

One word: minions.

If they're female and pretty, that's even better ;)