DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default 2015 Guru Snare Competition Entry Details - ENDS SOON!

Well, you wouldn't think so, but I've been working on this for days. I had to work out the IT side of things for myself. Awe man it was painful (& it cost me too :(

Anyhow, I'm pretty proud of this, imperfect though it may be. This is the second year of this competition, & I was determined to raise the bar. I'll leave it for the web page to give the details, but I'm stoked that we got Yolanda on board with this. Kinda cool for a drumming competition not to be judged exclusively by drummers. Good of Evans to chime in on the prize pool too.

Thanks to all who offered advice, & I've tried to take on board as many criticisms as I could from last year's event. For beginners who find the track daunting, check out the short version with click track - anyone can groove to that :) For the accomplished amongst you, dare to try the full length track without click ;)

I hope you can all get behind this, & please share with friends & contacts.

Feedback appreciated http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/#!snare-competition/c1lag

Cheers, Andy.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2015, 01:23 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: The 2015 funky Guru snare competition starts now! Entry details :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post

Feedback appreciated http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/#!snare-competition/c1lag

Cheers, Andy.
Thank you for doing this again Andy, it's really cool and fun. Yolanda is such a good sport. Wow does it allow space to cut loose...if you want.

Nice job, it's an easy track to get your funk on to. A good practice tool as well!

Last edited by larryace; 03-06-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

Yowsers!

Just one question, which I didn't see covered in the rules, as a relative n00b, do I get to enter in the n00b category and in the any amateur category, or are entries limited to one per person?

And is Straya included in the "within reason" part of anywhere in the world?
Old 03-06-2015, 04:44 AM

Wooh! So I have about two months to come up with drum parts. This is soo nerve wracking yet exciting! Amazing Andy! Can't wait to see what the other drummers come up with. Also is it ok to create a thread posting practice clips and ideas for the competition using this track?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:49 AM

Woooo the voting ends on my birthday. Cannot wait to try and dig into this track although I am just learning the ideas of funk drumming :)
Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Wow does it allow space to cut loose...if you want.
Nice job, it's an easy track to get your funk on to. A good practice tool as well!
Thanks Larry, & yes, this track was chosen specifically because you can play very simply along with a click version, or go for all out glory with the full track & embrace that sea of accent / syncopation opportunities :) Gratifying & attainable for the beginner, but super challenging for the professional player too if desired.

As a side point, I've lifted the bass track slightly just to make "hooking in" a little easier. Such a clever bass line, & I love how the intensity is ramped up as the song progresses. If I was to give one piece of advice on this, it's really listen to that bass line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Yowsers!

Just one question, which I didn't see covered in the rules, as a relative n00b, do I get to enter in the n00b category and in the any amateur category, or are entries limited to one per person?

And is Straya included in the "within reason" part of anywhere in the world?
Straya's fine, Antarctic isn't! I've included your point about multiple entries in the text. Please keep all entries in the category that best applies to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyruleherojoe View Post
Wooh! So I have about two months to come up with drum parts. This is soo nerve wracking yet exciting! Amazing Andy! Can't wait to see what the other drummers come up with. Also is it ok to create a thread posting practice clips and ideas for the competition using this track?
Well, I'd be looking to put in something as soon as possible. Remember, the sooner you enter, the more voting exposure you get, & that's an extra opportunity to get into the final judging!

As for running a thread - yes, by all means, but please use the competition page as the source / reference for the audio links. I'm not overly keen on the audio files being posted outside of the competition framework, unless it's attached to a video. I know Yolanda is fairly guarded in this respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrench501 View Post
Woooo the voting ends on my birthday. Cannot wait to try and dig into this track although I am just learning the ideas of funk drumming :)
That's great, & I'm sure there's an entry category that's representative of your experience. The chances of winning this competition are fairly high. Last year, we got 30 entries. I'm hoping for more this year, but I doubt we're talking 100's. As competitions go, those are very very good odds, plus there's the Evans snare kit prizes too!
Old 03-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Joker View Post
Hi Andy,

I'm going to give this my best shot. I've not had the pleasure of trying a Guru yet, but this is too tempting to pass up. I've downloaded the track, and will begin working on it straight away.

Thanks for your effort in this.

Best,
Jonathan
Excellent Jonathan! Chances of winning are high, great prizes, fun music - what's not to like :)
Old 03-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

I've just put a link to the original track on the competition site if you're interested in hearing it :) http://thedeepmo.bandcamp.com/track/are-you-ready
Superb "old school" analogue deep funk :) I strongly suggest you use this for context only, & bring your own style to the table.

BTW, if you're visiting that page, consider buying the album - it's superb!
Old 03-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Gold Member

Great competition Andy,

If I could figure out how to enter I would (I'm hopeless when it comes to recording/uploading)

However, I'll follow everyones entries with interest.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

What I don't get is what's the benefit of multiple entries?
Old 03-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Gold Member

What's the ruling on electronic drums? Does that cheapen it a bit? ;) P.S. I'm really enjoying the track.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What's the ruling on electronic drums? Does that cheapen it a bit? ;) P.S. I'm really enjoying the track.
Noooo. electronic drums are just great, & most welcome. It just establishes a greater need for a lovely acoustic snare drum :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
What I don't get is what's the benefit of multiple entries?
I've been asked by a number of people, & I can't see why not, although I personally think it's fruitless.

Quote:
I think you did a great job! Very minor things I thought:
-It's a lot of text, maybe a short and informative overview would have been helpful? It is clear though.
-The "like" popup didn't work on my computer, it said something about blocked site when I pressed "like", but maybe it's my firefox preferences...?
-At the bottom of the page it says
"It is essential that you visit the competition page on our website to download the play along sound files & read the full competition conditions before"
but isn't that what I've just done when I got there?

I hope for thousands of entries! And yes, I'm gonna enter too, I haven't heard the track yet but I'm positive :).
I think you'll love the track - so many possibilities.
The "like" popup not working doesn't bother me so much unless it gets in the way of voting numbers later on. As there's no entries yet, it's difficult to test, but I did a dummy run yesterday & it worked fine.

As for the apparently pointless instruction to visit a page you're already visiting, that sits on a landing page which is embedded into the website competition page. That landing page also sits on Facebook & other platforms, hence the instruction. Confused? - I certainly was :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Great competition Andy,

If I could figure out how to enter I would (I'm hopeless when it comes to recording/uploading)

However, I'll follow everyones entries with interest.
I'm useless on it too, but I've learned to work through such things. Thanks for the support, it's appreciated :)
Old 03-07-2015, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

This is really awesome and I can't believe you only had thirty entrants last time. I'm not one who usually would participate in a competition but I would love to support this effort-I love Guru drums and want to see it thrive. I don't really have any realistic expectations to win but it sounds like it will be fun in a creative musical way-so it isn't just a competition of chops but creativity too? That is an awesome idea to even the playing field, and that is a challenge I like too. Kudos to "Brainiac" Andy.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:15 AM
Administrator - Mayor

why do the short with click and the longer with click show the same time of 6:10
Old 03-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

There's an amount of silence at the end of the full version, maybe at the end of
the shorter one as well? They probably forgot to match the length of the audio
tracks with the bounce selection in the DAW...?
Old 03-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
so it isn't just a competition of chops but creativity too?
Creativity, musicality, interpretation, groove, dynamics, are all at the top of the list. "Chops" just help you get there, or not, depending on your choices. The selection of the 4 category winners is down to Yolanda, so it's worth bearing in mind you'll be judged by a bassist, not a drummer. She respects chops for sure. She plays with some of the worlds most talented drummers almost weekly, she's seen it all before, so creativity is likely to get her attention more than chops I suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
why do the short with click and the longer with click show the same time of 6:10
Ah, you got me Grunt :( A slight mistake on my part. The tracks are much shorter than that, it's just that I saved a file of that length. To avoid confusion (& several minutes of silence at the end of the track) I'll rework those today.

Quote:
There's an amount of silence at the end of the full version, maybe at the end of
the shorter one as well? They probably forgot to match the length of the audio
tracks with the bounce selection in the DAW...?
Ah, we posted at the same time :) I cut these down in iMovie, then just exported the audio file, but I forgot to trim the video file length they were attached to.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:49 AM

I've had a listen to the track. My my...fantastic piece of music. Victory or no victory this is going to be a very instructive exercise for me personally :)

Thanks for giving us a chance to win something that is financially out of most peoples reach!
Old 03-07-2015, 10:35 AM

Hi Andy,

Great you're doing this again, I hope it will be a big success!
Cool track BTW.

Eric
Old 03-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Ok, download audio tracks now reworked to correct file length. I can't work out why they won't list in the order I want them to, but that's a very minor point.

Quote:
I've had a listen to the track. My my...fantastic piece of music. Victory or no victory this is going to be a very instructive exercise for me personally :)

Thanks for giving us a chance to win something that is financially out of most peoples reach!
Thank you, & this is exactly the attitude I'm hoping for. Win or not, it's a great thing to be a part of, & hopefully learn something along the way. There is a great chance of winning something though :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
Hi Andy,

Great you're doing this again, I hope it will be a big success!
Cool track BTW.

Eric
Thank you Eric :) Are you having a go?
Old 03-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Thank you Eric :) Are you having a go?
I fear my complete lack of any drumming or music related skills would be completely inappropriate :-).

And I would feel guilty because of 2 'reasons' you already know ;-).
Old 03-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Victory or no victory this is going to be a very instructive exercise for me personally :)
Same here! It's a wonderful competition because of its inclusivity, and also because you genuinely want other people to do well!

I'm finding the track very difficult, if I'm honest, but that just means I'm going to get more out of the work I'll put in.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 03-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

I'll give it a whirl
Old 03-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
I'll give it a whirl
Very cool! I'm really looking forward to your submission :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Same here! It's a wonderful competition because of its inclusivity, and also because you genuinely want other people to do well!

I'm finding the track very difficult, if I'm honest, but that just means I'm going to get more out of the work I'll put in.
I genuinely want people to do well too. This competition isn't easy, & frankly, why should it be? Sure, if all I was after was exposure, I'd devise one of those silly easy question type deals, & watch the shares go into the 1,000's. It's not about that. I put a lot of effort into making the prize. That drum represents a fair cost to us, simply because of the numbers we produce. I also put a lot of effort (& some cost) into setting up the competition, so I think it's reasonable to expect the contestants to put some effort in too!

The enjoyable side to me is that the low numbers entering potentially rewards contestants, & the creativity / inclusiveness aspects make for a satisfying experience for all. By introducing voting, I've opened up the competition "fairness" still further.

As for your submission Madge, I'm stoked you're having a go :) I advise practicing to the short version with click. Start by just playing along to the click, & let the music fall around you. Then as you become familiar / comfortable with the track, start to work your drum parts around the music, & take it to wherever you want to go from that foundation :)

Quote:
I fear my complete lack of any drumming or music related skills would be completely inappropriate :-).

And I would feel guilty because of 2 'reasons' you already know ;-).
Well, I'm sure you're putting yourself down there, & as for "guilt", existing Guru customers are super welcome to take part :)
Old 03-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
As for your submission Madge, I'm stoked you're having a go :) I advise practicing to the short version with click. Start by just playing along to the click, & let the music fall around you. Then as you become familiar / comfortable with the track, start to work your drum parts around the music, & take it to wherever you want to go from that foundation :)
Right you are! And of course I'm having a go: I'm going to need the snare to match the kit, aren't I :D

Quote:
existing Guru customers are super welcome to take part :)
One can never have too many Gurus.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 03-07-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Well, I have to agree on that.
OK, funk may be out of my comfort zone but I'll give it a try.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Thanks Andy for the effort. If I can find a way to get my video and audio on Youtube I'll be there.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Thanks Andy for the effort. If I can find a way to get my video and audio on Youtube I'll be there.
Excellent news!!!

Grunt, if you have a computer with either Moviemaker or iMovie (commonly found package programs), merging video & audio is easy. There's lots of other programs that can do that too. Download the audio from our site. Listen to the track on your mp3 player (headphones, buds, etc) whilst playing along & recording yourself by whatever means (iPhone, Zoom recorder, etc). Load your performance video into the program, then add the audio file you downloaded from our site. In these programs you can align the audio with the video, balance the volume between the two to taste, then export the finished video to your desktop. From there, upload to youtube then follow the admission instructions on our site.

I hope that helps :) Others who are more used to this than me may have other / better suggestions.

Quote:
Well, I have to agree on that.
OK, funk may be out of my comfort zone but I'll give it a try.
I'm sure you'll nail it Eric :)

Quote:
Right you are! And of course I'm having a go: I'm going to need the snare to match the kit, aren't I :D
You're a trooper, & an inspiration to others :)
Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

I've got to say - major props on submitting the first video of the competition, & so quickly too - wow!

Video (semi pro category): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7pI...ature=youtu.be

All video submissions can be viewed & voted on here: https://www.facebook.com/GuruDrumsLt...15720611858523

Also via the competition page here: http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/#!snare-competition/c1lag

Please get voting, & remember, the sooner you put in a submission, the longer it's available for people to vote on it. 1 of 4 final category places are generated by voting alone. The other 3 are chosen by the Guru team. Read the competition page for full details!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
... if you have a computer with either Moviemaker or iMovie (commonly found package programs), merging video & audio is easy. There's lots of other programs that can do that too. Download the audio from our site. Listen to the track on your mp3 player (headphones, buds, etc) whilst playing along & recording yourself by whatever means (iPhone, Zoom recorder, etc). Load your performance video into the program, then add the audio file you downloaded from our site. In these programs you can align the audio with the video, balance the volume between the two to taste, then export the finished video to your desktop. From there, upload to youtube then follow the admission instructions on our site.

I hope that helps :) Others who are more used to this than me may have other / better suggestions.
If you are a youtubing sensation you can look away now.

I am less used to this than you, but I have another much simpler suggestion (and this is how I intend to do it):

Download the track and put it on your iPod* and play it through something capable of being heard with your drums playing.

Video using the device of your choice, capturing the audio as you go.

Et viola :) audio and video in synch with one another.

* Other devices are available
Old 03-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

I am working out the logistics of how I will record my entry, and also when I am going to find the time to learn the song and come up with something cool to play, while simultaneously surviving through one of the busiest times of the school year. Ah joy. Looking forward to doing it though!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

Guys & girls, please remember, this is the only playing competition I'm aware of in drumming, where a beginner stands just as much chance of winning as a pro. That's by design, & I find that exciting. Don't be daunted by entries from others. There's 4 categories. Also, I'm calling on the pro's here to have a go. It shouldn't affect any endorsement agreements you may have, so Derek, Jon, Todd, Gavin, etc, etc, get involved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I am working out the logistics of how I will record my entry, and also when I am going to find the time to learn the song and come up with something cool to play, while simultaneously surviving through one of the busiest times of the school year. Ah joy. Looking forward to doing it though!
Looking forward to your video Al :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
If you are a youtubing sensation you can look away now.

I am less used to this than you, but I have another much simpler suggestion (and this is how I intend to do it):

Download the track and put it on your iPod* and play it through something capable of being heard with your drums playing.

Video using the device of your choice, capturing the audio as you go.

Et viola :) audio and video in synch with one another.

* Other devices are available
That's a perfectly great way of doing it. Andy approves!!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

I'm just back from rehearsals, & noticed this FB post from Yolanda that I hope you find useful

:)
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Also, I'm calling on the pro's here to have a go. It shouldn't affect any endorsement agreements you may have, so Derek, Jon, Todd, Gavin, etc, etc, get involved!!!
They possibly read their own respective threads exclusively...!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Matt Bo Eder

I guess this will give me an excuse to really dive into my new recording gear then ;)

I will attempt to summon my inner Zigaboo, but it may be a lost cause.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
They possibly read their own respective threads exclusively...!
Quite possibly. Personally, I think they're running scared ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) (Oh Andy, you're so going to pay for that remark!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
I guess this will give me an excuse to really dive into my new recording gear then ;)

I will attempt to summon my inner Zigaboo, but it may be a lost cause.
Yes, get on it Bo! You've read Yolanda's remarks / hints. There's so many ways to approach this, it's wide open :)
Old 03-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

I would like to give this a go, but I simply have no place to record/video at the moment. I'll also need some time to woodshed, because this is outside my usual comfort zone!

Maybe I'll figure something out before the contest ends, but who knows. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to more entries and I'm listening to the track, percolating ideas.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I would like to give this a go, but I simply have no place to record/video at the moment. I'll also need some time to woodshed, because this is outside my usual comfort zone!

Maybe I'll figure something out before the contest ends, but who knows. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to more entries and I'm listening to the track, percolating ideas.
Do you have a Zoom Q3 or similar?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

& another early entry. Well done Mathew!! This time, in category 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRkvTsTr0Y

Remember, like Mathew, entrants in category 1 & 2 have the option to use the shortened version of the track, or the full version if they wish. You have a choice of with or without click too :)

Also, remember to view all videos & vote for your favourite here :)
https://www.facebook.com/GuruDrumsLt...15720611858523
Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you have a Zoom Q3 or similar?
No. I actually have a firepod so I could record anyplace I can set up my computer, (only the old desktop has firewire ports) but I have no place to play right now, other than when I play at bars.

I'll see if I can come up with a spot.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

I'll try to throw my hat in the ring as well. Could be a few weeks but I"ll get to it. Thanks for putting this on.