DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Hit like a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
the absolute ignorance in this thread is blinding
Well then enlighten us oh wise one. What are we ignorant to? Are we missing the bevy of female drummers out there that are performing within the highest levels of the music industry? Are we wrong to question the reasons why there are far less female drummers when the rest of the music world is nearing male to female equality. Since you obviously have all of the answers, please tell us so we can come out of the darkness.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
Well then enlighten us oh wise one. What are we ignorant to? Are we missing the bevy of female drummers out there that are performing within the highest levels of the music industry? Are we wrong to question the reasons why there are far less female drummers when the rest of the music world is nearing male to female equality. Since you obviously have all of the answers, please tell us so we can come out of the darkness.
I had hoped Tony would elaborate a bit on this, too. Please enlighten us ;-)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I keep my eyes open...I have yet to be truly blown away on par with Rich, Colaiuta, Bozzio...etc.

Even timing-wise...I hear more 5ms and below timing coming from the elite male drummers than I do female drummers(though hard to truly assess in the present day 'quantization' glut - gotta see people live to tell)...and I believe females can perceive time differentials at a finer gradient on average than males, if I remember correctly.
Otto, as I saw the start of your post I thought you'd taken leave of your senses until I read ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I hypothesize the main impediment for females is social...its not 'lady-like'...or 'feminine'...to hit things....and is not enouraged or even passivly tolerated like it is with young males.
Yes, it's a numbers game and, embarrassingly, I think your hypothesis is correct. IMO the entire notion of being "lady like" or "macho" is primitive and mindless but women avoid it with almost as much desperation as men try to avoid being seen as feminine. I imagine that if knitting was a competitive sport like drumming [sic] then you'd find the men unable to keep up with alpha females like Bessie Rich, Violet Coliauta and Terese Bozzio ...
Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Here is how to hit like a girl...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB242J2q09w
Old 03-05-2014, 04:34 AM

Hit like a girl implies that a girl can not hit very hard. I have to agree with the person that said girls are taught not to hit, punch or fight. Parents generally do not find pride in a girl that fights. As far as the contest, some girls or women may find it intimidating to compete in a co-ed style of contest. There male drummers outnumber female drummers(not sure of the ratio). It could be based on the same reason Curves gym is doing so well(although the hours of operation leave a lot to be desired. When I went each week to watch the Guitar Center's drum off, there was not one female drummer who competed. I am not sure if Spokane just does not have any female drummers or they pre-qualified drummers to compete.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post

it's a male dominated industry ... always has been

aside from vocalists you would be hard pressed to find any instrument with the amount of visible players equal male to female

but they are out there .... and guess what they are working and most likely way more than you are

but I guess because some members of the almighty DrummerWorld internet message board never heard of them.... they must not exist .... yeah that must be it

you know how many drummers are out there.... working.... making a great living that you have never heard of ?

yeah.... some never heard of DrummerWorld either because they are too busy working

but wait Tony.... they are not on the cover of MD magazine and not shoved down our throats in 50 pgs of ads in that fine magazine.....

here is the truth folks.... there are girls like this who will play cirlces around 95% of the players here and they are working nonstop while you guys sit here and talk about it

Terri is a small sample of the females coming out of Berklee, North Texas U, etc. that are basically doing what you wish you were doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdD3Bqr8e78

consider yourself enlightened

it's time I take a nice long break from this place

Last edited by WhoIsTony?; 03-05-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
it's a male dominated industry ... always has been

aside from vocalists you would be hard pressed to find any instrument with the amount of visible players equal male to female

but they are out there .... and guess what they are working and most likely way more than you are

but I guess because some members of the almighty DrummerWorld internet message board never heard of them.... they must not exist .... yeah that must be it

you know how many drummers are out there.... working.... making a great living that you have never heard of ?

yeah.... some never heard of DrummerWorld either because they are too busy working

but wait Tony.... they are not on the cover of MD magazine and not shoved down our throats in 50 pgs of ads in that fine magazine.....

here is the truth folks.... there are girls like this who will play cirlces around 95% of the players here and they are working nonstop while you guys sit here and talk about it

Terri is a small sample of the females coming out of Berklee, North Texas U, etc. that are basically doing what you wish you were doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdD3Bqr8e78

consider yourself enlightened

it's time I take a nice long break from this place
No reason to get upset, this is reasonable discussion.

What does the above have to do with having a separate contest for female drummers, giving the impression that they need such a thing?

Did Berklee have a different curriculum for women? Of course not.

I think it's kind of sad this day in age that women are sometimes not given the same respect nor held to the same standards as men are when it comes to drumming. I think contests like this only reinforces bad habits.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZslim View Post
No reason to get upset, this is reasonable discussion.

What does the above have to do with having a separate contest for female drummers, giving the impression that they need such a thing?

Did Berklee have a different curriculum for women? Of course not.

I think it's kind of sad this day in age that women are sometimes not given the same respect nor held to the same standards as men are when it comes to drumming. I think contests like this only reinforces bad habits.
wasn't speaking on the separation discussion but more on the ridiculous statements made about women drummers

sorry AZ didn't mean this to be aimed at you brother and felt the need to come back to make that clear

you all be well

I'm gone
Old 03-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I'm gone
I hope not for too long. Can't let this silly s### get to you. I know you enjoy some of the discussions, and talkin bout' that evil jazz music that's destroying our youth.

FWIW on the thread topic. I've had two drum teachers. Both female. Both were, I felt, the best options as teachers and players in my area.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
you all be well

I'm gone
Be well too Tony, but no need to go, that's just daft :(

I both work with & have as friends, some superb female drummers. Hell, our first Guru session videos featured Michele Drees, & also Yolanda Charles on bass. Think we're pretty much on our own, or at least, massively in the minority of drum companies giving both male & female players roughly equal exposure in our marketing/info videos. What's more, that trend will continue, as I believe imbalance is best addressed by general inclusion, not with special highlighting waving the "novelty" ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZslim View Post
Completely agree. I'll sight our artist (& my friend) again. Michele & I have discussed pretty much this very subject on a few occasions, & indeed, she eluded to such bias difficulty in her latest magazine interview. She refers to the "before look", & the "after look". The before look is one of disquiet & even distain / low expectation when some musicians (certainly not all) realise the drummer who's been booked for the session is female. The after look is one of surprise at the unexpected standard of playing. Michele has a bio most would be pretty envious of. Same with Yolanda in the bass world (another closely related world exhibiting pretty similar gender bias). Both of these artists are capable of playing almost anyone under the table, yet they still get this crappy attitude, & not just from the peanut stalls. This bias exists up to the very highest levels of pro musician too. It's a disgrace.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Mike_In_KC
This message has been deleted by Mike_In_KC. Reason: decided to shut up
Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
wasn't speaking on the separation discussion but more on the ridiculous statements made about women drummers

sorry AZ didn't mean this to be aimed at you brother and felt the need to come back to make that clear

you all be well

I'm gone
Sorry to hear that. I love jazz and jazz drumming and enjoy your posts.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

This entry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDged7vPAHo is currently ahead of this entry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQ8Y2b0Ehs#t=156

Kinda sad :( Competitions eh ---- Guess it must be the Vistalite that gets the attention ;)
Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Gold Member

Perhaps because there is stereotyping and this is a way to get the lassies a platform to get noticed so that eventually there will be no need for it anymore; it is unfortunately an imperfect world and change has to start somewhere.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:23 PM
The SunDog

I guess I'll say what nobody else here wants to. Girls do not hit like guys! I'm not saying better or worse, but I am saying different. Hannah Ford is awesome. Speed like few on the planet. Never seen her play the kit with as much authority as John Bonham. Never saw Tommy Lee play a roll as fast as her. Never saw her smash the sh** out of a kit with the kind of controled mayhem that Lee plays with. You are all guilty of thinking exactly what I'm saying. No one ever mentions an awesome girl drummer without making a special emphasis on the fact that IT'S A GIRL drummer. Any swinging d**k playing the same thing doesn't get the same praise. Girls at Westpoint don't have to meet the same physical requirements (or get the same hair cut!) in order to be accepted. They can test as high or higher, play as good or better, but power will always be a separate category.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:59 PM
The SunDog

I guess I'll say what nobody else here wants to. Girls do not hit like guys! I'm not saying better or worse, but I am saying different. Hannah Ford is awesome. Speed like few on the planet. Never seen her play the kit with as much authority as John Bonham. Never saw Tommy Lee play a roll as fast as her. Never saw her smash the sh** out of a kit with the kind of controled mayhem that Lee plays with. You are all guilty of thinking exactly what I'm saying. No one ever mentions an awesome girl drummer without making a special emphasis on the fact that IT'S A GIRL drummer. Any swinging d**k playing the same thing doesn't get the same praise. Girls at Westpoint don't have to meet the same physical requirements (or get the same hair cut!) in order to be accepted. They can test as high or higher, play as good or better, but power will always be a separate category.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:32 PM
Magenta
This message has been deleted by Magenta.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
I keep typing and deleting, for fear of spontaneous combustion.

Honestly, I don't know whether to laff or cry. Lovely, where HAVE you been in the last 50-odd years?

Mods, is there any way we can tax the word "girl" and send the proceeds to UNICEF?

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 AM

why do we let these women folk vote and wear bathing suits above the knee ??

barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen is where they belong I tell ya !!

in my opinion we need to keep these pathetic inferior beings away from any sort of authoritative business position and out of the mans music industry

you know you cannot hit a drum as hard or as well as a big strong man with an inferiority complex !!!!

silly woman

now go raise some kids !!!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Why did the woman cross the road?

That's not the point. What's she doing out of the kitchen?

Disclaimer:

I am not endorsing this opinion. Merely poking fun at it.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Why did the woman cross the road?

That's not the point. What's she doing out of the kitchen?
She's going to kneecap the person who described her as a "girl", obviously.

And equally obviously, for anybody who doesn't know, that isn't BFY or the vast majority of drummers on here.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

You haven't seen me at the weekends, dear.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Yes I have, but you didn't know I was looking.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

I'll have to be on the lookout for a thinly veiled tigress bearing caek, then.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
She's going to kneecap the person who described her as a "girl", obviously.
When did you meet my wife?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:18 AM
The SunDog

Quote:
I keep typing and deleting, for fear of spontaneous combustion.

Honestly, I don't know whether to laff or cry. Lovely, where HAVE you been in the last 50-odd years?

Mods, is there any way we can tax the word "girl" and send the proceeds to UNICEF?
Not sure exactly what to take from this. Except that you don't like the term girl? Women might have been a better choice. For the last 43 years I've been in the US, mostly New York. I apologize if you didn't get my point. Pehaps you should go to the "hot girl drummer" thread and vent there. Lots of videos of mediocre drummers that would'nt get any attention if they featured "boys" playing. Hey, new thread idea.....hit like a boy.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
why do we let these women folk vote and wear bathing suits above the knee ??
Methinks there's just a touch of sarcasm in your post Tony ;)

Quote:
I guess I'll say what nobody else here wants to. Girls do not hit like guys! I'm not saying better or worse, but I am saying different.
Actually, taken literally, you have a point. In my experience of working with pro female players, they typically play with far less emphasis on displays of technique, & more emphasis on using that technique to benefit the music. Better grasp of dynamics, & overall, more musical. In fact, I'd go as far as to say "better musicians". As for power, they can deliver that too, but by using strong technique, not how high they can raise their arms ;)

Of course, I'm generalising, but aren't we all?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:32 AM

When Tommy Lee left Motley Crue they went out and found another guy to take his place. Something happened, the replacement broke his arm or something. They had tour dates booked and responsibilities. Nikki Sixx went out and got Samantha Maloney (formerly of Hole). It took her a day and 1/2 to learn Tommy's parts. I have the video from Salt Lake and she played with the same power as Tommy or maybe even more. They sort of made fun of her, but she stayed pro and laid it down. Oh, she did not have her kit turn sideways or fly up in the air and play upside down (Buddy Rich did this decades before Tommy), but she was as powerful as him, easily.
Vater 2B
Hardware Assorted
Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not sure exactly what to take from this. Except that you don't like the term girl? Women might have been a better choice. For the last 43 years I've been in the US, mostly New York. I apologize if you didn't get my point. Pehaps you should go to the "hot girl drummer" thread and vent there. Lots of videos of mediocre drummers that would'nt get any attention if they featured "boys" playing. Hey, new thread idea.....hit like a boy.
I apologise for snapping at you. "Girl" causes the red mist to descend: it's patronising and belittling, but you probably didn't mean it like that. I hope you didn't, anyway!

Quote:
They can test as high or higher, play as good or better, but power will always be a separate category.
Is power the same as strength? I don't think it is. Most women aren't as strong as men, but I don't accept that they can't play as powerfully: after all, it isn't about how hard you can hit.

Quote:
No one ever mentions an awesome girl drummer without making a special emphasis on the fact that IT'S A GIRL drummer.
Some people don't mention it at all, and neither should they - it's as relevant as a drummer's ethnic origin, which I think most people would either not notice or, if they did, wouldn't remark on it. We all have the choice as to whether or not to notice it, either to others or just in our own heads.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
"Girl" causes the red mist to descend: it's patronising and belittling,
Depends on who choses to take offense though. My wife is forever "catching up with the girls" or going for a "girls night out" or "having the girls round for drinks". Given none of them have worn pigtails or played hopscotch in years, I can only take it they embrace the word.

Until there's a consensus, what hope have any of us got?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Depends on who choses to take offense though. My wife is forever "catching up with the girls" or going for a "girls night out" or "having the girls round for drinks". Given none of them have worn pigtails or played hopscotch in years, I can only take it they embrace the word.

With you all the way Pocket. My wife often asks me "Are you going out with the boys tonight" etc. Do I take offence because I am, probably, a man? Of course not, Its a generic throw away term.

As most of us have stated on this thread already, the only problem we have with the Hit Like a Girl comp is because we believe it's un necessary. A drummer is a drummer, end of.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
This entry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDged7vPAHo is currently ahead of this entry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQ8Y2b0Ehs#t=156

Kinda sad :( Competitions eh ---- Guess it must be the Vistalite that gets the attention ;)
sad indeed.... theresa did an awesome job on island magic by dave weckl - difficult stuff!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post

Context is everything. When the word "girl" is used in opposition to "man", whether the latter is stated or implied, it's just plain wrong.

However, I don't use the word "girl" unless that's what I mean. I go out with my women friends. I talk about the women I work with. I refer to "our daughters". Yes, I'm PC and proud of it, because attitudes don't change unless decisions are taken to make them change.

There, I'll get off me soapbox now!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 PM

I admittedly don't know anything about the competition, but I don't mind the idea of a competition for females if it encourages more females to play and publicises that there are already a lot of good female drummers out there. I'd personally probably rather put my time into musical projects, but it's good that competitions exist for people who want that - and within that world categorising 'candidates' seems pretty standard, maybe it's a bit more like sports than music.. but that's cool, freedom and equality is having the choice between these things and I'm glad that's there.

I watched Terri-Lynne Carrington sit in on a big band rehearsal this week, I've seen her a couple of times now in an informal context. I'm so glad that she's out there, she's a cool person, no vibe or anything, she just got up and played through a chart (a pretty tricky latin chart too, I'd have been really struggling) and laid it down straight away - time, feel and dynamics were perfect and the next time they ran it she nailed all the hits too. I've been getting to meet a lot of my heroes recently, the biggest 'name' probably being Herbie Hancock, and a number of my favourite drummers. The one consistent thing is that they're all really generous with their time and encouragement - being female is irrelevant, they treat me as a musician with a passion. They're my role models - I guess we all need them. Maybe some female (or male..) drummers out there will see some of these competition videos and will find a role model to be inspired by.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:41 PM
The SunDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand1969 View Post
When Tommy Lee You left Motley Crue they went out and found another guy to take his place. Something happened, the replacement broke his arm or something. They had tour dates booked and respo
nsibilities. Nikki Sixx went out and got Samantha Maloney (formerly of Hole). It took her a day and 1/2 to learn Tommy's parts. I have the video from Salt Lake and she played with the same power as Tommy or maybe even more. They sort of made fun of her, but she stayed pro and laid it down. Oh, she did not have her kit turn sideways or fly up in the air and play upside down (Buddy Rich did this decades before Tommy), but she was as powerful as him, easily.
You are higher than a biscuit on a hot kite.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Is power the same as strength? I don't think it is. Most women aren't as strong as men, but I don't accept that they can't play as powerfully: after all, it isn't about how hard you can hit.
This right here. Playing like a gorilla doesn't mean anything. There is a limit on how loud a drum can get without help. You can hit it with a baseball bat and it wont make a difference. Strength matters not.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 PM

I hate any kind of discrimination and I can't see how this doesn't encourage the picture the myth that men and women are more different than we really are.

Even if the thought is good, it will just backfire..

If you wanna encourage more women to play drums you put great female players in commercials(for music schools etc) organize competitions for all genders with a female drummer in the trailer, give female babies baby drums, write children stories with a drummers that's a girl etc etc.

They need role-models, not a stupid competition where they compete against themselves that only strengthens the myth that it would be any different between themselves and men. Instead of even trying to be the best drummer in the world, they could get the idea that they only have the chance to be the best female drummer.

Thankfully drums is not a sport so it doesn't matter as much. Drums is mainly about expressing yourself and the music and not about being the greatest. Therefore this competition hardly means anything but it happens in sports where the gender doesn't matter and it's just disgusting and bad for women.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
I admittedly don't know anything about the competition, but I don't mind the idea of a competition for females if it encourages more females to play and publicises that there are already a lot of good female drummers out there. I'd personally probably rather put my time into musical projects, but it's good that competitions exist for people who want that - and within that world categorising 'candidates' seems pretty standard, maybe it's a bit more like sports than music.. but that's cool, freedom and equality is having the choice between these things and I'm glad that's there.

I watched Terri-Lynne Carrington sit in on a big band rehearsal this week, I've seen her a couple of times now in an informal context. I'm so glad that she's out there, she's a cool person, no vibe or anything, she just got up and played through a chart (a pretty tricky latin chart too, I'd have been really struggling) and laid it down straight away - time, feel and dynamics were perfect and the next time they ran it she nailed all the hits too. I've been getting to meet a lot of my heroes recently, the biggest 'name' probably being Herbie Hancock, and a number of my favourite drummers. The one consistent thing is that they're all really generous with their time and encouragement - being female is irrelevant, they treat me as a musician with a passion. They're my role models - I guess we all need them. Maybe some female (or male..) drummers out there will see some of these competition videos and will find a role model to be inspired by.
Yes but will it. Surely it just means that female drummers, who are already playing, enter it.
Surely it's all about personal choice and aspiration. I had the desire to play drums from a very young age because I was always tapping on things, I didn't know why, It was simply a compulsion, and my choice.
You cant force females to want to play the drums, its about aspiration. Just because half the population are female does not therefore mean there will by default be a 50 50 split in people wanting to play the drums.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 PM
The SunDog

Quote:
I apologise for snapping at you. "Girl" causes the red mist to descend: it's patronising and belittling, but you probably didn't mean it like that. I hope you didn't, anyway!

Some people don't mention it at all, and neither should they - it's as relevant as a drummer's ethnic origin, which I think most people would either not notice or, if they did, wouldn't remark on it. We all have the choice as to
whether or not to notice it, either to others or just in our own heads.
First, thank you, I hate being snapped at. Second strenght lifting is not a sport. Power lifting is, and the record is held by a man. I noticed that it was a man, does that make me politically incorrect? Differences should not be ignored, they should be embraced. It's what makes us "unique". For example you and I are very different, and I like that very much. I will not pretend it's not so. Pretending that differences between people do not exist does not mean you are politically correct. Pretending means that you did notice and then made a conscious effort not to mention it. In that sense you should never have pointed out that my off color statements were politically incorrect, but instead chosen not to mention them.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Differences should not be ignored, they should be embraced. It's what makes us "unique". For example you and I are very different, and I like that very much.
I had a feeling that there would be more that united us than divided us :)

Old 03-18-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
You are higher than a biscuit on a hot kite.
This forum is about useful comments from drummers of all ranges.

Personal attacks are just trolling.

Move on man, I do not think you have a place here among real musicians.
Vater 2B
Hardware Assorted
Old 03-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

I've been considering this thread a bit over the last week...

I think we should consider eliminating gender qualifications in any area of endeavor...including gender specific drumming competitions.

Yes...there will be some competitions where the majority of the high achievers will be one gender or another...for whatever reason...oh well...but there will be NO participation discrimination related to gender.

...my 2 cents...

I do think that greater muscle stamina makes a person find drumming easier...and a positive feedback loop is more likely to develop. If you decide to stick a gender bias in here based on muscle stamina...thats your thing...not mine....and be sure you understand what discrimination is...as it is NOT observing functional differences based on genetic traits....its interpreting value based on, often, poorly defined markers.