DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:22 PM

Default How much should I sell my set for?

A little while ago, I replaced my Tama Imperialstar with a Gretsch Renown set but I never got around to selling the Tama Imperialstar. I purchased it new in 2007 for $745, crazy right? It came with a few sub-par quality cymbals, Meinl HCS I believe. Being that these cymbals cracked, were given away and/or thrown out, I no longer have them, so for obvious reasons they won't be included in my sale.

The shell configuration consists of:
22x18 Bass Drum
12x9 Rack Tom
13x10 Rack Tom
16x16 Floor Tom
14x5.5 Snare Drum

The shells are made of poplar and the snare is steel. I'm including the throne, bass pedal, and hi-hat stand that came with the set and I'm also throwing in a little Gibraltar drop clutch for the hi-hat stand. I had G2's on the batter and G1's on the reso but the G2's were way overdue so I put the G1's on the batter and I still had the factory resos lying around so I threw them back on. Doesn't sound too bad but at the least it's presentable. I was thinking that I'd try to sell it all for $400 - $300. What's the lowest you guys would go?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How much should I sell my set for?

If only there were some internet site where people could list all sorts of stuff for sale.

Perhaps there would be a mechanism to allow buyers to place competing offers for stuff. Like some kind of online auction.

That way, as a seller, you wouldn't have to set a price, and face the risk of over-pricing and thereby not selling your stuff or the risk of under-pricing and selling yourself short.

Pffftttt....just look at me prattling on with my crazy castles-in-the-air ideas...
Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Mike_In_KC
This message has been deleted by Mike_In_KC. Reason: bleh
Old 02-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Mike_In_KC

I think I would list it for $450 and take anything over $300 -

Good luck!

MM
Old 02-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
If only there were some internet site where people could list all sorts of stuff for sale.

Perhaps there would be a mechanism to allow buyers to place competing offers for stuff. Like some kind of online auction.

That way, as a seller, you wouldn't have to set a price, and face the risk of over-pricing and thereby not selling your stuff or the risk of under-pricing and selling yourself short.

Pffftttt....just look at me prattling on with my crazy castles-in-the-air ideas...
All hail the post of the week!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on how you want to sell it.

You'll probably get the most for it on Ebay, depending on how you present it. Simply because there's a lot larger group of people looking. Here's what some, with extras, have gone for recently: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...iece+&_sacat=0

Next up - your local craigslist, or something similar. If you get lucky, someone in your area will be looking for it. You'll have to deal with low-ballers and hagglers, and probably take a little less.

You'll get the least if you trade it in, or bring it to a resale shop.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Haha you should patent such a great idea! I planned on selling it straight on craigslist. I'd rather face the risk of getting stabbed for my money than deal with online shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_In_KC View Post
I think I would list it for $450 and take anything over $300 -

Good luck!

MM
I was afraid that I'd be asking too much for $400 but I don't think I'll settle for anything less than $300. Then again a lot of people are gonna low ball me so it's probably best to have a higher starting price. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotato Chip View Post
Haha you should patent such a great idea! I planned on selling it straight on craigslist. I'd rather face the risk of getting stabbed for my money than deal with online shipping....
Firstly, I'm glad you took my post in the spirit it was intended.

Secondly, specify 'pick up only'.

If you photograph your kit well and describe it thoroughly, Evilbay should be no worse than CL.

I bought my kit on Evilbay and collected it from the seller's house. I gather that allowing strangers to your home is unheard of in the US, but here in Aussie we frown on shooting and stabbing one another, so the seller wasn't worried that I was a homicidal maniac, and I wasn't worried about ending up in the basement with a gimp mask and future inability to walk comfortably.

Good luck with the sale,
Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Depends on how you want to sell it.

You'll probably get the most for it on Ebay, depending on how you present it. Simply because there's a lot larger group of people looking. Here's what some, with extras, have gone for recently: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...iece+&_sacat=0

Next up - your local craigslist, or something similar. If you get lucky, someone in your area will be looking for it. You'll have to deal with low-ballers and hagglers, and probably take a little less.

You'll get the least if you trade it in, or bring it to a resale shop.
After checking out that ebay link, I think I may reconsider my options. I'm not too familiar with paypal or shipping online so I can't imagine what the shipping fee will be. I'm not in too much of a hurry to get rid of the set though so I think I'll try to go where I can get the most for it. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Haha you should patent such a great idea! I planned on selling it straight on craigslist. I'd rather face the risk of getting stabbed for my money than deal with online shipping.

I was afraid that I'd be asking too much for $400 but I don't think I'll settle for anything less than $300. Then again a lot of people are gonna low ball me so it's probably best to have a higher starting price. Thanks!

CRAIGSLIST, deal local if you can. Ebay for those who don't know is a bit of a hoot, listing fee, percentage, final value fee and any other fees they've come up with in the last 24 hrs.

PAYPAL, fees there too, ebay has entered into banking with PAYPAL (ebay owns PAYPAL too), fees coming and going... and they can charge interest (the great satan) through PAYPAL.

Shipping the object is the work involved with Ebay, you have to box it up, weigh it and hopefully do this b/f you list it to have an accurate shipping fee in your listing, then you have to deal with sending it off, all things to consider. Not so bad if you're just selling some vintage drum badges or something small, but a drum kit? Oy Vey!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

After checking out that ebay link, I think I may reconsider my options.....

Well, you have to look at everything that's included too - not just the price.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I bought my kit on Evilbay and collected it from the seller's house. I gather that allowing strangers to your home is unheard of in the US, ,
Actually it's only a handful of paranoids who feel that way. They should avoid contact with strangers. However, the vast majority of us are quite fine with selling items on Craigslist. That is why it is so popular. I do it any time I have something that sells there before someone grabs it on Ebay. Obviously, if someone is uncomfortable bringing someone into their house they don't have to. Frequently I use CL For what it was designed for, giving things to those in greater need.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I tuck my Bersa 380 in my belt so they know Cash, and Firm mean cash and firm