DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Default Yikes, my first gig

I used to play a good 20 plus years ago, started again last year, just for my own fun, and now I am going to play a gig, with the next few weeks, in a bar cover band....help!

I am looking forward to it, but at the same time am cr*pping myself! Playing at home I know I'm too flash with fills etc, so I must keep things very simple, just solid pocket drumming, keep my head down, and get on the with job. The guys I am to be playing with have played for a while and are tight and proficient.

What else folks? Should I not take all my kit (say go one up, one down) to keep thinks simple?

What should I be thinking about?

To prepare, to take with me......?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Yikes, my first gig

I'd say take the set-up you use in rehearsals, otherwise you're going to have the extra worry of not playing the set-up you're used to and that will only create tension, familiarity is your friend in this case.

A good dose of nerves is never a bad thing, it keeps you focused in a strange way. I was petrified for my first ever gig but once I got past the first section change of the first song I got the adrenalin rush and really started to enjoy it. I found that the start of the first song and first section change were the most nerve wracking parts of my first few gigs, I don't know if that's true of anyone else but hey!

To prepare, play the songs in your head before you go on, it's the same approach athletes use when preparing for a race, almost as if you've played the gig already before you get up and actually play. Make sure to warm your hands up properly too, don't go too crazy, just get the blood flowing.

Here's to a good gig, I'm know you'll enjoy it!

Kev
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Congrats! Just relax and take it easy. I had my first gig a couple years ago (playing guitar though) and remember it like it was yesterday. I was really nervous, but we practiced the songs over and over and were really tight. I just tried to treat it like a normal band practice, but with a bunch of people watching. After the first 2-3 songs, the nerves went away.

Good Luck!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Good advice so far. Even though you've heard most or all of these songs all your life, little notes by each song on the setlist can help you start/end a song or remind you of a break in the middle. Make sure the setlist is in large bold font so a quick glance is all you need. Have fun!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Remind yourself of two things.

a) People aren't there to listen for your mistakes.
b) if you make a mistake, there's nothing you can do but move forward. It's live. Once something has happened, you're literally already past it. Worrying about it helps nothing.

Don't make a face when you all go into a transition wrong, don't worry about what could go wrong... Just play, and have fun.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Doctor Dirt

Well the best advise I can give you is to look for the best looking woman in the bar and keep looking at her and smile after a few glances. Any time you happen to make a mistake look at the guitar player and shake your head slightly, then just smile. Go back to the girl and just develop a nice rapport with her, every once in a while shrug your shoulders and laugh!! That should take care of the nervousness, keep the drum solo under 20 minutes especially if its two nights in a row no need to show em all your stuff! Doc
Old 12-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

Never played a gig but my main concern would be getting past my nerves and adrenaline to keep songs at the coprrecxt tempo. Theres nothing worse than a swinging Stones song played too fast.

I try to sing the chorus of a song a few times before starting to get the timing down. Just a beginner though.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 AM

congrats, by the end of the second song, you will have settled in, and be loose enough to throw a few more fills in, I'm sure. the people watching probably will be looking mostly at the singer... I read a book many years ago about how to deal with upcoming events that make you nervous: the answer is: DON'T think about it at all, meaning don't picture what the place/crowd will look like, because you won't know till it happens. just practice, and the day after this, look back at it happily.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

I was recently in the same position (also a born-again after a 20 year gap). I programmed all the grooves for our set in Ableton and put the mp3s on my ipod and played along 2 or 3 times a day to the whole set. It certainly gave me the feeling that I had the basics down
Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
Well the best advise I can give you is to look for the best looking woman in the bar and keep looking at her and smile after a few glances. Any time you happen to make a mistake look at the guitar player and shake your head slightly, then just smile. Go back to the girl and just develop a nice rapport with her, every once in a while shrug your shoulders and laugh!! That should take care of the nervousness, keep the drum solo under 20 minutes especially if its two nights in a row no need to show em all your stuff! Doc
Doc, you're a very naughty boy!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies, much appreciated. I am still working out a lot of kinks in learning the songs, but listening again and again is helping, I still have to really cut back on the fills, way too many at the moment, got to keep it really simple.

from a logistics point of view, what should I bring (kit aside!) I have a spare snare, should I bring this? I have about 4 pairs of my preferred stick and one pair of splash sticks, do I need more?

Thanks once again