John Bonham

adorno said:
Awesome Bernhard. Though Robert Plant's jeans in the Ocean clip are obscene!
those pants leave nothin to the imagination.....very very gross but other than that, cool video. Nicely done.

NUTHA JASON said:
. take your argument too far and coffee, headache tablets and even sugar become part of the mix. don't slice the cake too finely or you just get crumbs.
j

They don't become part of the mix, they are part of the mix...You should see me once I get a cup of coffe in me, with alot of sugar...

I have been practicing my Bonham Triplets lately. Although I don't need to tell you this, I can do a triplet with one foot, but not at the rapid fire speed Bonzo did it. When you look back, it's amazing to realize that this is where the seeds of Rock and Metal drumming were "Plant"- ed (oooh! bad pun by me!). I think The Beatles created the starting point for Rock, but I really believe Led Zeppelin is the greatest rock band to ever have existed; They were able to innovate and make the sound The Beatles created into something with more dimension. Each member was great as his own instrument, and when they met together, it basically became like a superpower in music. Anyone else feel this way, or are you going to shoot down my proposal as quickly as usual and insult my already bad pun? Haha....

- Marc

tambian89 said:
I have been practicing my Bonham Triplets lately. Although I don't need to tell you this, I can do a triplet with one foot, but not at the rapid fire speed Bonzo did it. When you look back, it's amazing to realize that this is where the seeds of Rock and Metal drumming were "Plant"- ed (oooh! bad pun by me!). I think The Beatles created the starting point for Rock, but I really believe Led Zeppelin is the greatest rock band to ever have existed; They were able to innovate and make the sound The Beatles created into something with more dimension. Each member was great as his own instrument, and when they met together, it basically became like a superpower in music. Anyone else feel this way, or are you going to shoot down my proposal as quickly as usual and insult my already bad pun? Haha....

- Marc

I agree with everything you said except the Beatles part. The Beatles didn't start anything.

dothecrunge said:
I agree with everything you said except the Beatles part. The Beatles didn't start anything.
Haha.....I'm not a huge Beatles fan either, and I think Zeppelin were the OG's when it comes to rock. Revolver is one of my favorite albums, but I thought that if I didn't post that little bit about the Beatles, everyone would jump all over me and be like "I hate you....you're so stupid and dumb.............eh!"

- Marc

dothecrunge said:

You do realize that we wouldn't even know the name Led Zeppelin if it wasn't for The Beatles. We wouldn't know the name John Bonham if it wasn't for Ringo. To say The Beatles didn't start anything is probably one of the most absurd statements ever made in the history of man kind.

Dannar said:
You do realize that we wouldn't even know the name Led Zeppelin if it wasn't for The Beatles. We wouldn't know the name John Bonham if it wasn't for Ringo. To say The Beatles didn't start anything is probably one of the most absurd statements ever made in the history of man kind.
I think you should probably back up your statements. Led Zeppelin probably owes more to Cream than it does the Beatles. Where is the definite blues influence in the Beatles music? Aside from the fact they were influenced by Chuck Berry (not really blues) it isn't really there.

I think you should probably back up your statements.
well we already had this discusion on how much effect the beatles had on music, and Dothecrunge never backed up any of hs comments with good facts or opinions.

wontgetfooledagain said:
I think you should probably back up your statements. Led Zeppelin probably owes more to Cream than it does the Beatles. Where is the definite blues influence in the Beatles music? Aside from the fact they were influenced by Chuck Berry (not really blues) it isn't really there.

Alright! Lets try this again! Hopefully It won't time out again.

Rock music hardly got any recognition before The Beatles came along. Guitar based rock music was viewed as a fad, something that would blow over. If The Beatles hadn't of made it big, early rock bands like The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, The Who, The Kinks, and other wouldn't have never gotten any attention. Remember that all of these bands had been around quite awhile before Led Zeppelin came along.

To specifically address the subject of Cream influencing Led Zeppelin, look at it this way. If The Beatles never made it big, than the Yardbirds never would have made it either. If the Yardbirds never made it, Eric Clapton never would have met John Mayall, who never would have introduced him to Jack Bruce, who never would have started a band with him, thus never having a Cream to influence Led Zeppelin. To really go into detail about the Yardbirds, dig this, If The Beatles never made it big, then neither would the Yardbirds, who never would have eventually hired Jimmy Page, who never would have put the New Yardbirds together after their break up, who never would have changed their name to Led Zeppelin.

The way I originally typed this up was better, but this gets the point across.

things were started BEFORE the beatles. but let's be honest, the beatles spread the word very well. beatle mania quickly transmogrified into rockmania which then attached itself to anything worthy. so sooner or later it was zepmania. many aspiring musicians aspired to be ringo or john etc... and then discovered they could be even better although never quite as popular in a sense. but zep broke most of the beatles records in their 11 years. zep were the forst band in history to have every album they made featured in the top 200 albums.

j

bonham990 said:
Bonham hands down is my favourite drummer i love his power behind the drum set. His ledgendary triplets and who can forget about his right foot! my god he is better and maybe faster then most people that have a double pedal

whatever.. that is bullcrap... i've heard john bonham's triplets and they are great but no.. just.... NO. you can't say he is "better or maybe faster" than most double pedal users...... i am so frickin' sick of all you boring little single pedal players who are like "aw well i can make my single pedal sound like a double by mixing it up with the floor tom" etc. or "i use heel-toe technique" or whatever (try using heel-toe on two pedals).. ..just admit it: for heavy music you can't beat the sound that a good double pedal or double bass drum player can punch out.
listen to virgil donati, danny carey or raymond herrera.. or tim alexander from primus

anyway, yes john bonham rules...... but i have never liked moby dick.
non-drummers always ask "have you heard moby dick?? it's amAzing drumming!! can you play it??" etc. but i just find it boring and repetitive to be honest (sorry).
but i love bonham's playing on just about every other song from "2"
especially the first two tracks

helldrummer said:
whatever.. that is bullcrap... i've heard john bonham's triplets and they are great but no.. just.... NO. you can't say he is "better or maybe faster" than most double pedal users...... i am so frickin' sick of all you boring little single pedal players who are like "aw well i can make my single pedal sound like a double by mixing it up with the floor tom" etc. or "i use heel-toe technique" or whatever (try using heel-toe on two pedals).. ..just admit it: for heavy music you can't beat the sound that a good double pedal or double bass drum player can punch out.
listen to virgil donati, danny carey or raymond herrera.. or tim alexander from primus

Tim Alexander probably isn't that great an example. Much of his stuff is achievable without a double pedal, I don't doubt that somebody like Zach Hill of Hella could play most of that fairly accurately without resorting to two feet. Tim does a lot of triplet phrases between the hands and feet with each foot only playing a single stroke on each bass drum pedal, that kind of stuff is easily replicated with a single pedal. Not that he isn't an awesome drummer, of course. I bought a double pedal because of him, and then gave up because I realised that all the stuff that was awesome about him didn't really need one.

This deserves to be on another thread, and indeed there is a thread for it, but here's the deal: If you play music that needs a double pedal then you need one. But the reality is that for most music you quite simply can get the same end result by mixing it up with the toms and heel-toe techniques. It's only really when you get into the land of constant double kick or rudimental work with the feet that you start needing the other foot to come into play.

I do agree that Bonham's foot would probably not be considered particularly fast by modern standards though. He had great power and control over both his dynamics and his beat placement with his right foot, but I don't think that he's a great candidate to stand up to the likes of Zach Hill or Jo Jo Mayer on the single foot speed front.

finnhiggins said:
Tim Alexander probably isn't that great an example. Much of his stuff is achievable without a double pedal, I don't doubt that somebody like Zach Hill of Hella could play most of that fairly accurately without resorting to two feet. Tim does a lot of triplet phrases between the hands and feet with each foot only playing a single stroke on each bass drum pedal, that kind of stuff is easily replicated with a single pedal. Not that he isn't an awesome drummer, of course. I bought a double pedal because of him, and then gave up because I realised that all the stuff that was awesome about him didn't really need one.

This deserves to be on another thread, and indeed there is a thread for it, but here's the deal: If you play music that needs a double pedal then you need one. But the reality is that for most music you quite simply can get the same end result by mixing it up with the toms and heel-toe techniques. It's only really when you get into the land of constant double kick or rudimental work with the feet that you start needing the other foot to come into play.

I do agree that Bonham's foot would probably not be considered particularly fast by modern standards though. He had great power and control over both his dynamics and his beat placement with his right foot, but I don't think that he's a great candidate to stand up to the likes of Zach Hill or Jo Jo Mayer on the single foot speed front.

you're right about tim: most of his stuff can be played with a single... but it's his subtle use of the double that appeals to me (jerry was a racecar driver, mr. know it all...).
songs like pudding time and wynona's big brown beaver (...can't get over that name..) would be impossible for me to play using a single (cos i'm crap) but i guess a skilled single-kicker like jo jo mayer could play them...

however, you will never have the same dynamic range playing heel-toe/rapid doubles between tom hits etc. on a single as you will playing straight with a double.
and double bass just doesn't have the same tough sound to it when imitated, even when imitated extremely well

personally i think bonham's foot is incredible in its own right.. if bonham had used two bass drums he would have used them much more wisely than many of today's double bassers... he might have done things like crescendos or swung 8ths in a shuffle or even swung 16ths (swung bass drum notes actually don't sound too bad if you don't put excessive swing on them) and not doubt been extremely creative with it....
i've always thought danny carey (excluding opiate) has a bit of a bonham sound, especially on undertow and aenima.. he's got similar indian percussive influences too
actually track 11 on lateralus is a bit bonham-ish.. ..sort of

oh.. long post, sorry :p

john's speed was impressive for his day but i never cared for how fast he did this or that. it is his groove, his taste that keeps me listening to zep on nearly a daily basis for 14 years now. when i want to emulate bonham - when i think of why he is my hero - i don't practice triplets with my foot...what i do do is try to capture the ferocious joy that comes across in his drumming. i think, how would bonzo approach this intro? how does he think of snare placement? how would he unstaighten this groove tastefully?etc....

j

NUTHA JASON said:
things were started BEFORE the beatles. but let's be honest, the beatles spread the word very well. beatle mania quickly transmogrified into rockmania which then attached itself to anything worthy. so sooner or later it was zepmania. many aspiring musicians aspired to be ringo or john etc... and then discovered they could be even better although never quite as popular in a sense. but zep broke most of the beatles records in their 11 years. zep were the forst band in history to have every album they made featured in the top 200 albums.

j

Yea I agree that things were started before The Beatles came along, The Beatles just proved that it was here to stay, I went into more detail about Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Fats Domino, and guys like that in my origional post, but after it timed out and I lost all of it I really didn't want to type it all out again.

The Beatles were great, blah blah blah. The fact remains, the Beatles did not influence Led Zeppelin musically. Thier first two albums should prove that. Blues, anyone? I'd list thier infuences, but it would take a while, and it doesn't include John, Paul, George, or Ringo.

But then everyone's gonna say, but without Ringo!......................but nothing, Bonzo was not influenced by Ringo. And the same goes for every member of Led Zeppelin.

dothecrunge said:
The Beatles were great, blah blah blah. The fact remains, the Beatles did not influence Led Zeppelin musically. Thier first two albums should prove that. Blues, anyone? I'd list thier infuences, but it would take a while, and it doesn't include John, Paul, George, or Ringo.

But then everyone's gonna say, but without Ringo!......................but nothing, Bonzo was not influenced by Ringo. And the same goes for every member of Led Zeppelin.

I wouldn't say that The Beatles didn't influence Led Zeppelin, The intro to Led Zeppelin's "In The Light" has a striking resemblance to The Beatles "Within you Without you". Since you don't seem to even listen to The Beatles how could you say that they don't influence Zeppelin, when you yourself are not even familiar with The Beatles music. I don't mean that in a rude way. As some one who is familiar with both bands I notice a few similarities here and there. I don't think that they are a huge influence by any means, but what I was trying to say earlier isn't how The Beatles influenced Led Zeppelin. but how The Beatles paved the road for bands like Zeppelin.

I realize Bonzo wasn't heavily influenced by Ringo, but Ringo brought rock drummers into the lime light, and since Bonham was a rock drummer, that is something he can attribute to Ringo. To say The Beatles didn't have a influence on the other members of Zeppelin isn't exactly true either. It may not be really obvious, but like I said earlier, every once in a while there is something that rings back to a Beatles song. I'll try to dig up some other similarities, but in the mean time check out the song I mention earlier.

I should make it clear that I love both The Beatles and Led Zeppelin equally, I am not trying to take The Beatles sides on this or anything, I just think it's good to know your roots.

Favorite Bonzo Track EVER?

I think by far in my opinion in my opinion "In My Time of Dying" is my fav song.

Ever time I try to seat down and play this sone along with the band on a set of head phones, I just end up stopping and grooving with Bonzo, with the classic head shake and lip curl. I can't even play drums to it cause it's too fun to listen to.HAHAHA

Back