DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Default About to go buy Roc N Soc throne at lunch...Anything else I should consider?

there is no "throne" section at the Drum Gear place in the forum, so posting here. I'm about to go get the Roc N Soc throne at lunch. Is there any other throne out there that I should consider instead?

Also, the Roc N Soc comes in the tripod version, and the five legs versions. They are the same price. Any preference of one over the other?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: About to go buy Roc N Soc throne at lunch...Anything else I should consider?

I have the regular version (non-five leg) and have grown to like it after years of just a regular ol' DW round top. Can't go wrong with it. It's pretty comfortable and probably helps me by making me more aware of sitting up straight since you're kinda' in a bucket seat as opposed to sitting on top of something and slouching down.

I probably wouldn't recommend the five-legger because there's no real way to break it down and pack it up if you were gigging all the time.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: About to go buy Roc N Soc throne at lunch...Anything else I should consider?

I have the 3 leg version

love it

I spend a lot of time sitting on it and have no complaints....

huge fan of hydraulic thrones

go get it
Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Administrator - Mayor

If you try the Other Gear Section you may find your answer.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

The nitro seats have a "bounce" to them when you play. I can't play a gig on that thing, or else I start getting motion-sickness...it's weird! I use it as my studio engineer seat now, but I liked the seat so much, I got one of the models with the threaded height-adjustment for kit playing. It's great!

Go for the 3 leg option. Really.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

i have the 3 leg. been very satisfied for years & the hydraulic lever / action is still factory fresh. cant imagine lugging the massive 5 legger around. i am biased, so consider a good round top throne...some guys say the roc-soc cuts off their circulation or something. i dont remember even needing a"transition" period between traditional Tama throne from late 70s.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

The tama 1st chair/ergo rider/whatever they're calling it these days is the best out there imo... and this is coming from a Roc'n'soc owner
Old 04-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

OK. It's definitely after lunch. Did you get it?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

What'd you have for lunch?

I've had a basic RocNSoc 12-13 years now. Bought the back, but I can't play with that stupid thing. But I have the option later when my back eventually goes out.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

I had a chicken burrito for lunch myself.

I've never been big on Roc N Soc. I always feel like I'm sinking down into the thrown. Which may be comfortable for sitting, but not so much for playing.

Many people love them, but they just don't seem to suit how I'm built.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
OK. It's definitely after lunch. Did you get it?
Ok, I had chicken wings (traditional) and chicken tenders for lunch. Then I went to the music store, where I also take lessons by the way, awesome place.

I really like to support the local businesses if I can instead of the usual online retailer. I went in there, and they had the screw type Roc N Soc for the same price as the Nitro one found online for about 150 bucks. The type they had in there goes for cheaper online, I belive it's $120 or $130.

I asked the store manager and he told me "yeah, the nitro ones are REALLY expensive". I told him "Not really, those are 150 bucks, same price as you are selling the screw type for".

He said "No, the nitro ones are about 200 bucks, plus 50 for the back rest".

I didn't want to argue anymore, and I don't want them to think I'm trying to take advantage of them by insisting on a lower price. So I just said that I would think about it and come back.

I came back to the office, and got both Nitro seat (bicycle style, black) and back rest for $206 bucks from music123.com with free shipping. Bummer, I really would have liked to buy it from them, but I don't want to have to pay extra for it.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 PM

I was in GC and wanted a nitro. Guy ordered it and a few days later it came to my house. It was the TALL model. My feet couldnt touch the floor! Didnt even know there WAS one. Called GC..guy says the guy I ordered it from wasnt there that day. Huh? Said I had to do this and that and I hung up and drove down there. Walked in and demanded a refund. I said I dont HAVE to do anything..my money please. He got some cute girl to talk to me and she got me a properNitro at a lower price. Good.
I use a DW airlift and had a spare PDP throne. Have to have a spare with an airlift. Gave my kid a kit with the PDP and needed a new spare. The nitro is now the go to throne and the DW is the spare!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Gold Member

This is obviously personal choice and not everyones bottom is the same etc.

However, ...

3, 4 and 5 legs. The more legs the more space the throne takes up and if you have several foot pedals this could be an issue. With a 3-legged throne one leg can point forwards to the snare and the other 2 are well out of the way. I have a 4-legged and noticed this straight away. If well made and solid a 3-legged may well be superior.

Circulation. If you have your knee at an angle greater than 90 degrees then there could always be the potential for the back of your thigh contact with the seat to cause a slight circulation loss. The more dense and the less profiled the seat the greater the likelihood of this occuring. 3 hours in the throne will tell ...

Hydraulic/Airlift. There are distinct benefits in terms of quick and easy adjustment to the throne height. There is a risk of failure but with DW, Tama and RnS this should be adequately low. As for bouncing during playing. As long as the system is well damped then it should not really be significantly noticeable to cause a problem. It may even reduce fatigue slightly as the system has a little give. Preference will play a big part here.

Backrest. The RnS back rest is rather large and makes for a comfortable seat. However, the adjustment on the Tama and DW9100 and a smaller backrest is arguably more in keeping with a throne, where the back rest can be set into the seat either for permanent back rest or as a physical check on posture when you start to slump.

Weight. The DW9100AL weighs a ton. I know I've got one! For gigging that would be a issue. However, you can't have stability and light weight so this needs to be reflected upon when purchasing the throne.

Peace
Davo
Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

To echo what others have said: definitely look at your playing habits before you buy a throne. I have a Roc N Soc Lunar Nitro, great throne but taking it ANYWHERE is a pain because it doesn't break down without actual disassembly. I'm actually casting about now for a good, comfortable second throne to actually gig with, because this thing takes up as much room as my kick drum all by itself.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

I love my Roc&Soc, couldn't play anymore without it !

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 PM

I can't comment on the Roc N Soc, but I can comment on the optimal number of legs. The answer is 3. Three separate points in space define a plane. Three legs would make any chair or stool or throne stable even on a broken or uneven surface. This is simple physics. This is a case where more is not better.

Regards,

Bill
Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stevenson View Post
I can't comment on the Roc N Soc, but I can comment on the optimal number of legs. The answer is 3. Three separate points in space define a plane. Three legs would make any chair or stool or throne stable even on a broken or uneven surface. This is simple physics. This is a case where more is not better.

Regards,

Bill
You guys keep talking about 3 legs like its the best when really there is no reason it is at all. Mathematics (not physics) requires a MINUMUM of 3 points to define a flat plane. And no, 3 legs will not make any chair or stool or throne stable especially on a broken or uneven surface. That is nonsense. On a flat plane, with enough friction, maybe, if the feet span is wide enough to support the height of the load. And by flat plane I mean one that is not curved: anything from a level floor to a flat vertical wall.

I see no reason way 3 is physically optimal. If anything, 5 legs offers more stablity while youre bouncing around on that Nitro, because it expands the area in which the throne is in no danger of tipping over.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post
You guys keep talking about 3 legs like its the best when really there is no reason it is at all. Mathematics (not physics) requires a MINUMUM of 3 points to define a flat plane. And no, 3 legs will not make any chair or stool or throne stable especially on a broken or uneven surface. That is nonsense. On a flat plane, with enough friction, maybe, if the feet span is wide enough to support the height of the load. And by flat plane I mean one that is not curved: anything from a level floor to a flat vertical wall.

I see no reason way 3 is physically optimal. If anything, 5 legs offers more stablity while youre bouncing around on that Nitro, because it expands the area in which the throne is in no danger of tipping over.
Politely disagree, on uneven ground 3 points will be stable as long as the center of gravity is inside the triangle. Granted your plane is not necessarily level with a plumbob or bubble, it just parallels the uneven ground. at 4+ you have to average them and can end up with a wobble.

[Edit 1]Here's some further discussion:
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/53267.html

[Edit 2] you are not wrong in that your center of balance can expand when you add more legs, it does depend on definition of 'stable' I associate a stable stool with no-wobble but I'm not a jumper when I play.

Last edited by chaymus; 04-14-2011 at 08:41 PM.