DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

Default Muddy bass drum sound!

Hello, how do I get rid of that muddy bass drum sound, the sound where everything kind of sounds mashed together without separation?
I rehearsed last night with a 22' with my pedals and it sounded great. I have a 24' with a stock bass drum head (not sure if that's the problem) but I tried tuning it tighter and same thing. Any advice, I'm thinking new bass drum head but not sure and If so which one, Remo power stroke?
Thanks...
Old 10-28-2010, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Muddy bass drum sound!

I use power stroke III. It's all in the head, beater pad (or none at all), beaters, whether or not you add deadening, and where and how it's applied. Front head even makes a difference. How you play also will have an impact on how you set it up. I have spent several years experimenting to get my sound. Believe me when I say that I have created some terrible sounding bass drums in the past. Play around with different ideas until you aquire what you're looking for. Every type of music requires a different sound, so it's hard to recommend something. Best to experiment to find what you like and what sounds good with what you're playing.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

How are you tuning it? Muffling it? Is the resonant head ported?

I had the same problem w/ my 22x18", which has turned me onto using nothing deeper than a 16", anymore.

I put a 3" hole in the resonant head. I took a 14" long DW-style drum pillow and put it up against the batter head, but obviously *not* touching the resonant head. I tuned my batter head up pretty high, using Bob Gatzen's "Lowest Possible Pitch" method (see YouTube), and tuned the resonant head up in increments, until I heard a nice, round, resonant PUNCH.

A mistake a lot of guys make is tuning their kick drums really, really low and loose. This sounds like garbage. Every time I test a kit out at Guitar Center, they're tuned this way, and you can't hear what the drum sounds like, at all.

Try tuning higher and experimenting with some subtle muffling and/or porting the reso.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
How are you tuning it? Muffling it? Is the resonant head ported?

I had the same problem w/ my 22x18", which has turned me onto using nothing deeper than a 16", anymore.

I put a 3" hole in the resonant head. I took a 14" long DW-style drum pillow and put it up against the batter head, but obviously *not* touching the resonant head. I tuned my batter head up pretty high, using Bob Gatzen's "Lowest Possible Pitch" method (see YouTube), and tuned the resonant head up in increments, until I heard a nice, round, resonant PUNCH.

A mistake a lot of guys make is tuning their kick drums really, really low and loose. This sounds like garbage. Every time I test a kit out at Guitar Center, they're tuned this way, and you can't hear what the drum sounds like, at all.

Try tuning higher and experimenting with some subtle muffling and/or porting the reso.
Hey ZAMBIZZI
I dont understand when you say you tune batter up high using LPP? I thought the LLP was to get it to the lowest you can get above wrinkle (I'm only asking because this is how I tune my bass and toms ..Love the toms but not sold on the bass am I doing something wrong here?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp View Post
Hey ZAMBIZZI
I dont understand when you say you tune batter up high using LPP? I thought the LLP was to get it to the lowest you can get above wrinkle (I'm only asking because this is how I tune my bass and toms ..Love the toms but not sold on the bass am I doing something wrong here?
I use the same method but tune it higher. I've found that this style of tuning gets the most even tune around the lugs. Gatzen recommends leaving a little bit of wrinkle and then taking your hand off of the head. I do the same thing, but tune it above wrinkle. I might tune up a little from there, even.

I've found that using hand pressure, like Gatzen shows, will point out uneven tuning that the naked eye and ear may not spot - especially on bigger kicks.

Last edited by zambizzi; 10-28-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Hey thanks guys, one other thing, I have a 24 inch birch kick, with the stock batter on there. Any recommeds on the batter head, I am a Remo guy and have heard good things about the Power stroke 3 but was also curious about the Evans Gmad is it?
Or any others you like.

Cheers,
The set I have (S Classix) I believe comes with Remo heads, I'm just not sure what they are, and they don't sound bad, I just want better....
As we all do.

Cheers
Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 PM

I haven't personally used that specific head, but I am no fan of Evans. But doesn't hurt to try it. Can't go wrong with a PS III, I would recommend the non-batter, but use what you feel would sound the best. Like everything else, just an opinion. Experiment as much as you can.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

is your front head ported?

Porting your resonant head on the kick will emphasize the beater attack out front
non-ported will be fuller and less defined.

Experimentation to find what suits you best is my advice.
PS3 or EMAD are nice sounding batter heads

I personally like a low tuning on the kick just where the low/slappy sound disappears
but not much higher where the resonance really kicks in and I'm tempted to muffle more.

With the right tuning I can run my bass drum wide open and get a full deep kick you in the chest *tone* without sounding boomy. emad 1 batter and a 4" ported ps3 reso...mic just inside the hole =
huge recorded kick sound
Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopete View Post
I haven't personally used that specific head, but I am no fan of Evans. But doesn't hurt to try it. Can't go wrong with a PS III, I would recommend the non-batter, but use what you feel would sound the best. Like everything else, just an opinion. Experiment as much as you can.
Same here. I've tried several Evans BD heads and many of them sound great. But...the first thought I always have is, "That doesn't sound nearly as good as a Powerstroke 3."

That seems to be "the" head for me.