DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM

Default Metronomes?

Ok heres the deal, I am currently using a metronome off a Study Bass website with my laptop... It works good for me, but i want something thats going to be more portable for gigs n such... I have heard of these viberating metronomes that are supposed to work well, instead of an audible click, its an actual vibe/ pulse that you can clip any where on your body. I just want something that is gonna be loud enough in my phones so I can keep pace. Thats really my concern. any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Metronomes?

Any modern, electronic metronome with headphone output should be fine as long as your using headphones with isolation (ie hearing protection), which you're hopefully doing already.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Rather than pollute the board with a similar topic, I'd like to add a metronome-related question to this topic.
Here goes, When recording in odd time signatures, my band always has a hard time finding a suitable metronome to play too. We normally just settle for something with the same bottom number. My question is, how do the pros do it? How do bands like Dream Theater or BtBaM string together passages of odd times from 5/4 to 7/8 to 17/16? I'm sure there is a type of metronome or computer program that would make this much easier. Ideally there would be a metronome in which you can program the time changes in sequence of the song.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andSometimesY View Post
Rather than pollute the board with a similar topic, I'd like to add a metronome-related question to this topic.
Here goes, When recording in odd time signatures, my band always has a hard time finding a suitable metronome to play too. We normally just settle for something with the same bottom number. My question is, how do the pros do it? How do bands like Dream Theater or BtBaM string together passages of odd times from 5/4 to 7/8 to 17/16? I'm sure there is a type of metronome or computer program that would make this much easier. Ideally there would be a metronome in which you can program the time changes in sequence of the song.
I believe the high-end click-tracks are programmable, so you could program in the various time-sigs and tempo changes... A cheap (err.. free) way to do it is Audacity's 'generate click' feature.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andSometimesY View Post
IN odd meters, the click simply changes to the default grouping of the meter. So you need a metronome that works in the odd meter realm with grace. I don't know of too many since most bands use software to create the clicks they want and how they want them.

Logic, cubase or any flavor of software, even garageband (free) to generate the click how they want it.

My favorite metronome, the yamaha clickstation was discontinued. :(
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 PM

yeah I got m audio ie 30 in ear monitors, expensive but the best monitors/ headphoes ive ever used/ bought
Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 PM

Ah, Audacity has a feature that allows odd time clicks? I'll have to check that out. Thanks guys!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Couldn't you just set your metronome on '0' beats so you have a constant click at whatever tempo?
You would really have to focus to know where the '1' is though, but at least that way you could navigate passages of changing time signatures without having to use expensive software.
I don't really play that much with odd times though. I could be wrong about that.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Couldn't you just set your metronome on '0' beats so you have a constant click at whatever tempo?
I feel like this would be the easiest thing to do if you have the songs down.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

I'm sure you will find a way to get a click going, many good suggestions here. Drum machines etc, laptop with garage band, there are many ways to get a click going.

I will give you a tip though. If you use a click on live gigs, you better make sure everyone in the band can hear it. Playing with a click track when your the only one that can hear it on live gigs is a disaster waiting to happen. Things like breaks, hits, stops, will not be cool if your the only one with a click. Everyone feels the time different. Trust me I know from experience. Just something to think about.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris View Post
I'm sure you will find a way to get a click going, many good suggestions here. Drum machines etc, laptop with garage band, there are many ways to get a click going.

I will give you a tip though. If you use a click on live gigs, you better make sure everyone in the band can hear it. Playing with a click track when your the only one that can hear it on live gigs is a disaster waiting to happen. Things like breaks, hits, stops, will not be cool if your the only one with a click. Everyone feels the time different. Trust me I know from experience. Just something to think about.

How do we do that? Can it be ran through the board somehow to a box then we all feed off that?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Having everyone hearing the click, means everyone on IEMs. Which in a small band with limted resouces may or may not work. A lot of long time journeymen players have a hard time with single mix or mono IEM implementations. And a bar band isn't always going to have the money or personel for a discrete monitor world on their gigs.

If you use a drum machine for the click, you can still have some basic additional percussion noises (one band I know uses the triangle sound a lot) coming out of the wedges. It doesn't detract from the music. A bit of triangle, tamborine, congas, etc helps the sound go and doesn't sound like some tick, tick, tick coming out of somewhere on stage. But as Joe said, it helps the other people keep track.