DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 PM

Default bass drum question

I talked with a bassist who told me that one of the first things he learned was to follow the bass drum.

Then I would be interested in the difference between playing bass drum on "1" and "3" and the other one in which you play the bass drum on "&" instead of "3" ie you play it one eight note later.
What are your experiences with this?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: bass drum question

I just go with the feel. Knackers to clinical ;)
Old 10-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

The idea is to 'lock in' but as you've seen or heard always playing on 1 and 3 would be pretty plain, and you want to have some spice or variation on your bass drum patterns, depending on the song. Maybe straight, maybe swung, maybe busy, maybe not...etc.
In the same way, a bass player would not just want to thump his notes along to your plain old 1 and 3 for each and every song.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

It works in reverse, too. If you hear a song for the first time and wonder what to do with your kick drum, look at the bassline and pick out the "important" notes to follow.

Side note, it seems you might be just getting started. There's a very inexpensive book called "A funky primer for the rock drummer" which has a whole set of pages dedicated to different bass drum note placements.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

If it's just you and the band you can play your bass drum anyway you want. Like playing ghost notes on the bass with jazz tunes.

But if you have an audience and you want to get their butts moving, your bass drum patterns need to be easily followed by the listeners.
Screw the bass player. You, the drummer, are the prime butt mover.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Silver Member

I like to do more complicated stuff with my bass. A lot of Latin bass grooves over regular drum patterns and swung bass drum patterns. Questlove and steve Jordan are really revolutionary on bass drum patterns. As long as it's still tasteful and appropriate, you can do a lot of cool stuff with the right foot, and the bass player will dig it
Old 10-18-2017, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Opentune has is right. I'd be willing to bet your bass player is referring to the element of your playing that best allows him to "lock in". I very much doubt he's suggesting that he wants to play every note that you play with your bass drum and vice versa. Rather he's saying that that's where he gets his 'pulse' from. His feel is derived from your bass drum.

The best bass players I've played with always managed to lock into something I was doing. Quite often it was the bass drum. That never meant either of us felt compelled to mimic the notes being played. More so that that was the fundamental "lock in" point. When he wanted to concentrate on the time, his attention immediately focused in on the foot.

I had a rhythm guitarist that used to cop his time feel from my hi hats. Same principle, different application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Screw the bass player.
The very best bands in the world all have one thing in common. A tight rhythm section.

I'd argue "screwing" the bass player is the number one way to fail to achieve that. The bass player is your brother in arms. You function as a cohesive unit......or at least you should be. The "rhythm section".......not the "rhythm person". Bands where the drummer and bass player can't gel are distinctly noticeable.

Instead of "screwing" him. Work with him. Find out where his time focus is and allow him to lock in to it. Your band, punters and pay cheques will all thank you for it.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I'd argue "screwing" the bass player is the number one way to fail to achieve that.
I think it would bring the two of them closer together. That said, I've never screwed my bass player in any band so I can't speak from experience.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The very best bands in the world all have one thing in common. A tight rhythm section.

I'd argue "screwing" the bass player is the number one way to fail to achieve that. The bass player is your brother in arms. You function as a cohesive unit......or at least you should be. The "rhythm section".......not the "rhythm person". Bands where the drummer and bass player can't gel are distinctly noticeable.

Instead of "screwing" him. Work with him. Find out where his time focus is and allow him to lock in to it. Your band, punters and pay cheques will all thank you for it.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. Gotta be a cohesive unit with the bass player.
OK, I went too far. I meant, make sure the bass drum part serves the song and the audience.
Don't determine the bass drum part based solely on what the bass player wants to hear. Yes for sure work closely with the bass player!

Old 10-18-2017, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bands where the drummer and bass player can't gel are distinctly noticeable.
Was just wondering, can you think of any good examples out there where they don't gel?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:17 PM

I understand that lockig in with the bass drum when it comes to simple hillbilly/country bass lines. As a pianist I could play the LH on 1 and 3 with RH on 2 and 4.
But I don't understand what locking in with the bass drum mean in hard rock (they don't play country basslinrs)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikhank View Post
I understand that lockig in with the bass drum when it comes to simple hillbilly/country bass lines. As a pianist I could play the LH on 1 and 3 with RH on 2 and 4.
But I don't understand what locking in with the bass drum mean in hard rock (they don't play country basslinrs)
Doesn't matter what style of music you're playing. Syncing up your bass drum hits with the bass guitar line is typically going to sound pretty good, but that's not to say you must play every note they do. If the bass line happens to be very busy or intricate you can pick out the most important or root bass notes to sync up with.

I didn't watch this lately, but memory tells me that this might be good for you to watch:
http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/rhy...kick-drum.html