DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-13-2017, 01:12 PM

Default Video lessons?

Hi Guys and gals!

So, i'm having lessons with a teacher but would love to supplement that (I have an acoustic set at home, so am able to get some serious practice in outside of my lessons- however still very much a beginner)
Aside from books there's such a HUGE amount of online tuition available it's difficult to wade through it all to work out what actually worth looking at without spending most of my time flipping from video to video, so basically does anyone have any recommendations? videos you've used? websites outside of YouTube that are worth a look? Any recommendations welcome!

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Video lessons?

It really depends what you're looking for.

Drumeo is cool, but it's introductory in most things. It's a complete information overload. It's cool to see those short lessons with famous people, but that's just for inspiration. You get the basic oversigh in the free lesson on youtube and the material is pretty much what they have in ther own booksDVDs already.

I'm on Weckl's school right now. It's just stared and under development, but you get the whole pitcure and insight from one of the top guys.

Many like Mike Johnstons stuff, but it's not for me at this point.
Louie Palmer is another one.

If you want to learn about all the traditional ways of using Stick Control, Syncopation etc... I'd urge you to check out Matt Patella. He's old school and has a bunch of vids on youtube.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Personally, I used Bill Bachman's site to learn to move my hands, and watched a bunch of Carter McLean videos to let me know what I should sound like on a kit.

When I get clobbered by something my little brain can't handle, I ask on this forum.

Last edited by KamaK; 10-14-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

Drumeo was best for me... but to each their own and i believe they still offer a free trial.. so nothing to lose. i am going to sign up for another year myself soon..
Old 10-16-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
It really depends what you're looking for.

Drumeo is cool, but it's introductory in most things. It's a complete information overload. It's cool to see those short lessons with famous people, but that's just for inspiration...
+1
I feel like when you search for anything drum related, drumeo shows up somewhere on the right, as they seem to have a million vids. (and yes, I've watched several, and even learned things.) Although Jared may be a good drummer, there's something about him that just annoys me, not his drumming, just seems like he's about to drool at any minute, maybe that's shallow of me, but dang it drives me nuts.

In fact, random drum video searching is how I found a bloke named Stephen Taylor. He seems cool and great for beginner stuff too.

Another guy that seems cool/interesting guy is Nate from the 80/20 drummer. great drummer, and may / may not be for beginners, but there's something about him/ his humor that I love.

Definitely check out Stephen Taylor though.
IMO

T