DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 AM

Default How to play these type of fills?

First of all i want to say that this drummer is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab5McjzIOIo

I really love all his fills but I am exspecially curious of how and what technique he plays during 1:49 - 1:51 he plays this type of fill again during: 2:26 - 2:29 and again at 2:56 - 2:59.

It would really help my playing if i would know the name of these kinds of fills and maybe the technique to play it or videos learning you to play this.

Would really appreciate the help!!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: How to play these type of fills?

Honestly, he just has good fluency with single strokes with his hands.

You should start practising simple, moving around the kit playing x number of strokes per drum for several minutes.

So you might do a few minutes at 4 strokes per drum, a few minutes playing 3 strokes, and a few minutes playing 2 strokes per drum.

What you want to do is get so comfortable moving single strokes around the kit in any direction that you don't have to think about it. So practise doing odd numbers - 3, 5, 7; practise your turnarounds, ie. moving from left to right or right to left.

What you also need to work on are accented strokes, i.e., adding accented (louder) hits in between playing softer hits.

They are both important skills to acquire and become fluent with, so I would highly recommend you add at least 10 minutes of non-stop single stroke work around the kit (separate to any speed work, this will be focusing on endurance, accuracy, consistency and tone) to your daily routine. When I do this, I don't consciously break it down into 3 minutes 4 strokes, 3 minutes 2 strokes, etc., I am constantly mixing it up with accents, blast beats, fast turnarounds across large distances, short turnarounds, sweeping up and down the kit, but that's because I already spent a long time doing the hard yards building up the basics first - focusing on simple groupings.

If you have a double pedal, this is also a good time to play synchronous single strokes with your feet so that you can kill two birds with one stone :). Of course, there's no reason you can't play along with a left and/or right foot on a hihat pedal and single kick.