DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Renegade

Default Re: When did you stop feeling like a Noob?

Aeolian, I'm not sure what open muso nights in your part of town are light but the local open nights I've checked out or heard about here normally have a collection of off duty pros playing sets while being periodically replaced by people in the audience who put their name up.

Also, everyone seems to know the songs and arrangements pretty well - it's no place for noobs. Heck, I started playing drums in the 70s and I'm too scared to get up at one of those jams, let alone if I'd only been playing for a year.

I think Larry's suggestion sounds most fun and promising.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Aeolian, I'm not sure what open muso nights in your part of town are light but the local open nights I've checked out or heard about here normally have a collection of off duty pros playing sets while being periodically replaced by people in the audience who put their name up.

Also, everyone seems to know the songs and arrangements pretty well - it's no place for noobs. Heck, I started playing drums in the 70s and I'm too scared to get up at one of those jams, let alone if I'd only been playing for a year.

That's pretty much what I have found in my area as well.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

"Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing"
-Hunter S, Thompson

Jamming alone is just that, jamming alone. Jamming with other people will get your blood racing, Noob.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:04 AM
wildbil
This message has been deleted by wildbil.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
That's pretty much what I have found in my area as well.
Based on some of the responses in your Open Mic Night thread it seems that some open nights are more open than others. For the most part it doesn't make sense for a venue to have a truly open mic night because audiences will leave if noobs are playing unless there's some entertaining goofing around or the band leader encourages the audience to play a game of "sentimental favourite".

PS. Pardon the typo in my post - "light" instead of "like" ... weird
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

i don't think you do, but confidence and high self esteem certainly fool some of the people some of the time
Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

I've been doing this since 1976 and there's material I come across, people I play with, things I try to do and people I watch that put me in the Noob mode right away. I sincerely hope that never, ever stops. There's so much potential out there for growth if someone is open to it.

Conversely to me, so many people have been told over and over how good they are that they that they begin to believe it themselves and form high opinions of themselves. I personally feel sorry for them and just shake my head. They obviously have never been put into a situation out of their comfort zone to be humbled. To me this is a serious missed opportunity for lack of growth.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 PM

Mary, don't be discouraged. I'm in the same boat as you. There may be fewer older/inexperienced musicians out there, but they do exist. There are also older and very experienced musicians who who've "been there, done all that" and just want to slow down and play for fun, and would be very happy to accommodate someone who's progressing and looking for experience of playing with others.

Just advertise and keep advertising. You don't have to apologise for your lack of experience, just tell it like it is and wait for someone who's looking for you and where you are now with your playing. Specify in your ad the sort of stuff you like and are comfortable playing. Emphasise the pluses - good time keeping, conscientious about learning your parts, turning up on time for practices (believe me, a lot of bands/musos will see these as definite pluses!) - and as for the rest of it just state it frankly.

I still feel like a noob. There's such a lot of stuff I just can't do. (Someone said to me recently "Do you want to bring this number in with a roll?" To which I replied "Nope").

Get the ads out wherever you can. Music shops, muso sites. Keep renewing them. It might take a while but it will happen. The longer it takes, the more time you have to keep practising, eh? It's all good.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
There are also older and very experienced musicians who who've "been there, done all that" and just want to slow down and play for fun, and would be very happy to accommodate someone who's progressing and looking for experience of playing with others.
Bingo Daisy, this is exactly what happened to me, after my first ever band, I've put an ad in the local newspaper, and a very experienced rock guitarist called me, we jammed together for about 6 months, he taught me so much about music (he could even play the kit better than I did, lol), then we formed a band by adding a second guitarist, a bass player and a keyboard player, we played in that form for 2 years before going into a trio (guitar, bass & drums) for another 2 years, I own so much to that guy, he took a noob under his wing and had the patience and the kindness to show me the road ahead, I'm forever grateful.

This could be the best ever thing to happen to you Mary, follow Larry's and Daisy's advice and put an ad out there, you'll never know :)
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Mary I would also suggest attending the open mic blues jams just to observe. For however long you need until you feel comfortable. You need a "home" jam, one that you attend regularly just for the goal of being comfortable there. Once you hear the material that's being played in your area enough times, you develop a familiarity with it, and that goes a looooong way in establishing your comfort level. I learn so much from watching other drummers. Even when they are not doing well. Actually, especially when they're not doing well. You learn more from mistakes than you do successes. Let the others make the mistakes, while you learn from theirs. Observing other drummers allows you to look at them and say to yourself...Oh I like this and that, but not that and the other thing. This is mentally forming your style, but you do have to have opinions about such things. It's great to see other people mess up, meaning you can safely live vicariously through them and learn from their mistakes. It's no pressure on you, you are just observing. Once you are comfortable with the music and the people there...well that's the goal.

After you've been exposed to enough shuffles and blues standards, there will come a time where you will think to yourself..."I can do that". Don't hide yourself away in the basement all the time. Get your fine self out there and just observe for now. Guys love playing for females in leopard. I think you will find a lot of support if you just get out there. Your smile alone will open doors. Did I mention wearing the leopard?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Here's my plan...

You start a band, which plays in your house. Try to find just 2 others, a bassist and a guitarist, that might be in the same boat as you.
That's what I did. Been playing with those guys for over 2 years now. At one point we recruited a singer, and I have a two piece band going with him too (he plays guitar). I've racked up about 20 gigs since last summer.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

You guys have good points. I promise to try to put myself out there. I'm out of town for a week later this month but promise once I return to put together an ad. I can't tell you what all of your encouragement means to me. Yesterday, I went downstairs and just jammed to whatever music I wanted, didn't matter if I knew how to play it or not, and actually was satisfied with what I did. Was very far from perfect, heck far from good, but I did pull a few things out that weren't half bad. I think I need to do some more of this unstructured kind of playing just to get comfortable with it. A lot less pressure as well.

And Larry, just to make sure...you think I should wear my leopard? Lol
Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
You guys have good points. I promise to try to put myself out there. I'm out of town for a week later this month but promise once I return to put together an ad. I can't tell you what all of your encouragement means to me. Yesterday, I went downstairs and just jammed to whatever music I wanted, didn't matter if I knew how to play it or not, and actually was satisfied with what I did. Was very far from perfect, heck far from good, but I did pull a few things out that weren't half bad. I think I need to do some more of this unstructured kind of playing just to get comfortable with it. A lot less pressure as well.

And Larry, just to make sure...you think I should wear my leopard? Lol
Mary
if you have never played with other musicians before I don't think going to an open jam night is going to be very comfortable for you at all

they tend to be very cliquey and full of regulars who are commonly ego maniacs and "jam night heroes " where this is their only platform ........

I suggest finding some people in your area ....or some people that you already know who play other instruments and get together at someones house and play a few cover tunes without an audience .....just to gain a little confidence

after you feel yourself flow with others....then maybe approach the jam night situation

not trying to discourage you in any way from getting out and playing ........ eventually your hunger will get you out there......I just think you will have a lot more relaxed fun in a closed session with just a few other musicians at someones house or at a rehearsal studio for your first collaborative effort

Last edited by Anthony Amodeo; 02-03-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 PM

There's an older gentleman here who I befriended after buying and selling some used equipment. Eventually we exchanged phone numbers, and anytime I needed something or had something to sell, if he didn't have it, he could get it. And if he didn't need to buy, he knew someone who did. The other day I was helping him clean up a set of Mapex drums that he'd bought - they'd been garage kept, so they needed a good wipe down and a tuning. Along the progress of the cleaning, he started talking about how "when he used to play a lot in the early 70s" and this almost left me speechless.

I'd seen him play several times, and he is very skilled. But I often think that even though I'm not a super skilled drummer, I put myself higher on the pole because I've been playing for about half my life (a little over ten years). And then I find out about someone who was playing drums over a time period when entire bands rose to fame and died out. It had been some time since I felt like a "noob" to drumming - but if anything gives you that feeling, it'll be somebody who's been playing drums before you were even a sperm in your daddy's sack.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 AM

seriously Mary, you should go out and audition for every add looking for a drummer in your area, that play the same musci you like., just do it, . or post for "looking for people to jam with one night a week" just put yourself out there, it's scary, but it creates character, and some fun stories to look back on.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
So it will be 2 years in March since I started this drumming journey of mine. Full of lots of ups and LOTS of downs (always seems like one step forward and three steps back for me!) but slowly, very slowly, it's coming along. However, I still feel like such a beginner. I know you never stop learning and there's always someone better out there but I just feel like there's is so little I know and understand. Wondereing if I'll ever get to that point when I no longer feel like a noob or beginner.

What was that turning point for you? When did you start to realize that you were going beyond the point of just someone learning the basics and actually turning out music or playing with some level of skill?
It took a long time for me. I guess when I didn't have to think about every beat and fill all the time and I was able to just play most of the time.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post

Wow, I would give anything for some jams where jamming is possible. Where people are actually listening and trying to make music. There is one that I liked to go to because the house drummer brought in a great kit, as opposed to a couple of clubs that expect folks to use their cheap-ass broken down house kits, and given the pay, a lot of house drummers go along. But sometimes it just gets to be no fun. This was the last straw for me at this place for awhile. It isn't so obvious from the pocket camera video but the guitarists were loud as hell and would not give each other any room. The bass player went along and cranked up. The whole thing is on the edge of falling apart and all I could do was try to find a place down the middle for the backbeat. And these are some of the "better" folks who come out to these jams. There are some that are really beginners. There used to be jams that catered to beginners, and some that were a bit higher level, and a couple that you really had to have your $hit together for. But nowadays, you have beginners coming in to play with house players that do varsity tours and Mary's playing would be a vast improvement.
http://youtu.be/QlcWu5n6ySI
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 PM

Mary, definitely a "noob" here since it has been decades since I played with anyone. (I plan on eventually jamming with a co-worker)

For me, it's knowing my limitations and being comfortable with them.

I recently saw the Ginger Baker documentary, and my wife commented on how Ginger played and wondered what I thought. I told her I was a Charlie Watts, John Densmore, Doug Clifford, Patrick Carney, Brian Chase or even a Meg White kind of drummer.

I was not into solos much, and my strong points were driving the band, not soloing. I did not learn jazz very well, but I could play pop/rock stuff fairly well. I am almost 50 so I grew up in the 1970's and 1980's when the soloist with the large kit was en vogue. The punk drummers were more my style along with the aforementioned 60's players.

It's all about knowing your limitations and building on them. If the people you are playing with expect Neil Peart, Shannon Larkin, or Danney Carey, then I would say that was beyond my skill or expertise but I would be happy to play some blues or rock and roll.

Today, it seems all styles are appreciated whereas when I was playing decades ago everyone wanted the soloist type of guys and that was just way beyond my skill set.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 AM
Silver Member

Interesting question, Mary.

I'm 49. I've been playing for 2 yrs 4 months, and am in 2 bands and have racked up about 20 gigs since last year.

If I were to sum it up I'd agree with all the guys who say it's relative; you're always a noob compared to someone.

But, then if I get down to details what I've noticed is that you work on stuff and broad areas of your play seem to go thru little step changes. Something awkward and difficult gradually becomes second nature, then new mutations occur and you move on again.

I have been thru definite phases of development with each limb, and your head gets wiser too. The drag is, however, that you only notice improvement over long periods, but then it's great to see or hear that you've become 'solid' in certain things.

The other drag, that's entirely a result of getting better, is that the songs you wrote a drum part for 2 years ago now need revamping because they represent a previous 'you' and you can make them much better now. And the thing about that is that you're constantly pushing against your limits. It gets easier but it gets harder too.

I'm sure I've got lots more to say about all that, but that's a summary for this time of night.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 AM

I've been playing for 15 years and I still feel like a noob sometimes. I have very high standards for myself so I'm never completely satisfied with my playing.