DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

Default Band Audition

I just had this killer metal band contact me from an ad that I posted looking for a band. The drummer on their album is really good. His double bass work on the album is faster then I can currently play double bass (I could get close to his speed with my old technique that I was using that was causing my back to hurt. I haven't been using that old technique at really fast speeds because of said back pain. I'm currently working on another way to play fast double bass, but I'm not fast with this technique yet).

I really dig this bands music but I'm a little nervous that when I tell them that my foot work isn't as fast as it use to be because of having to change techniques that might disqualify me from getting the gig.

I know that I'm going to get my double bass work back to speed in time. And when I do it will be even better then what it was. I just hope I don't miss out on a great gig because I'm not up to speed right now.

If their cool with me playing 8th's instead of 16th's in parts of their songs til I get my feet back to speed I should have no problem.

Has anyone been in somewhat of a similar situation as this? If so did you do anything that helped you get the gig?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Band Audition

At the audition just tell 'em. Do the audition, play your best, smile, relax, communicate...it's all you can do. I would advise you to not downplay yourself at all to them. In fact, being in a band is a great motivator. I'll bet you get your chops back faster with the incentive.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnygrabber View Post
At the audition just tell 'em. Do the audition, play your best, smile, relax, communicate...it's all you can do. I would advise you to not downplay yourself at all to them. In fact, being in a band is a great motivator. I'll bet you get your chops back faster with the incentive.
Thanks for the great advice.

I do have to be careful not to downplay myself. I do that sometimes.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM

Man, music is about having fun. Sure there's lots of technical aspects of it, but really, a band is about a bunch of folks communicating in the language of music. In that, the most important thing is getting on with everyone, joking, having a lark, and pushing yourself an everyone else.
Be who you want to be. The drummer in their band, sure, but more importantly a guy who loves what he does and can articulate that.
You may not be able to smack out the bpm's (now), but who gives a shnakka. Play the music, do your homework, and be confident.
I've only ever lost a gig because I doubted myself.