DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Default Money no object advice please

What do you think would make for the loudest, roundest and most resonant kit when tuned medium-high (say 12" tom pitched around D). I want the drums to sing with a wide dynamic range (and not max out at forte). I'm thinking sizes 12x8" tom, 14x14" floor 22x16" bass....

And a money a slight object option? : )

CHEERS!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Money no object advice please

Stainless steel drums come to mind for loud. Never owned a st, or even played one for that matter. They just seem like they would sound pretty rude, in a good way. They say acrylics are loud but I had a set and I thought they were no louder than wood.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like you might want to have a look at a set of Guru's to me...
Maybe also Craviotto.
You have to ignore marketing and get to the truth...and nobody on this forum will set you straighter than Andy, even if you don't buy his drums...so, without further hesitation...
Andy...

Neal
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

If there came a time where money was no object,I would be booking a London hotel,and flying Virgin airways first class to the UK.While there I would love to hang a bit with my British bretheren and purchase a couple of Guru kits from my mate Andy.

I might wait till the warmer weather and catch one of those outdoor concerts in Hyde Park though.

Next...I would see if Pat Bonham would be interested in selling one of her husbands kits to this drum crazy Yank.:)

Steve B
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Steve,

You'd struggle to find a warm day over here to go and hang out in Hyde Park!

I've been to the inner workings of Guru. Just seeing the drums in prototype stages on the floor is so exciting. If you ever can get over here to see Andy, do. It's a great experience.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post

Next...I would see if Pat Bonham would be interested in selling one of her husbands kits to this drum crazy Yank.:)

Steve B
Jason Bonham has at least one, and Paul Thompson the ex-drummer for Roxy Music collects old sets and apparently has one or two of the Bonham kits. They would be something to behold. I wonder where the Buddy Rich kits are?

To the OP, oak drums are pretty loud as a wood, but that gets different views on here.
Older Hayman drums (rare) come to mind too. They were initially designed to compete with amps.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm2112 View Post
What do you think would make for the loudest, roundest and most resonant kit when tuned medium-high (say 12" tom pitched around D). I want the drums to sing with a wide dynamic range (and not max out at forte). I'm thinking sizes 12x8" tom, 14x14" floor 22x16" bass....

CHEERS!
What type(s) of music are you playing?

Loudest, Roundest.... is that kind of asking a lot out of a 12" tom, and a 14" floor tom?

Drums with great edges will sing, but not choke when played harder, so how loud does your "loud" need to be?

Off the shelf kits:

The Ludwig Keystone Oak/Maple are somewhat louder than average, and kindasound about one size larger to me.
The edges are a little rounder, and double cut, so they will get a lot out the head, as far as length of note, and then you can tune to suit how long or short you want the drum to ring. These would be cool on a gig that isn't mic'd, but you want the kit to be rather present I'd say. Mic'd, then no worries at all.
Nicely priced.

Yamaha Oak drums are nice too, but haven't really played them.

Mapex Saturn are great sounding drums, round and resonant, but I'm not sure if they are "louder" or not.

Craviatto comes to mind for somewhat custom. Super quality, but more expensive.

Gretsch USA, or DW Jazz sound great. Not the "loudest", but you can pull a lot of sound out of them.

Dunnett, & or, Ludwig Stainless Steel are actually pretty warm sounding, and have a real cool sound. They can get loud, you will need money :-)

Like everyone else is saying, check out the videos of Guru drums also...but, they don't build for free either haha!

Good luck!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

CHEERS!
you have some conflicting requirements there. Highly resonant shells will offer you maximum high tuning headroom without choking, and high quality resonant shells will deliver a more rounded voice with a dominant fundamental, a chorus of lower tones to give fatness, & a lack of overtones. All great stuff, but they won't be the loudest. For loud, you actually want rigid shells that resonate very little. Such rigid shells will project better, & give you a brighter attack too, but they won't give you the same body in the sustain as a resonant shell. Both non resonant & resonant shells will offer long head sustain, given suitable edges, head choice, & tuning, but head sustain is not the same as resonance.

Of course, you could compromise on one or more of the character traits you require, but there's no such thing as a free lunch. It's only my personal opinion, but give me character with a distinctive set of abilities over something that does a bit of everything, any day :)

12 x 8 tom is just the right size for higher tuning yet still delivering tone, however, I would suggest 14 x 12 as being better suited to offering a clear fundamental at higher tunings. I'm assuming you're not thinking of higher tunings on your bass drum, but if you are, then I'd suggest a 22 x 14 as being able to deliver more useable tone with less high overtone interference.

With higher quality shells, especially any of the "solid" shell varieties, wood species becomes a significant consideration too. For higher tunings, woods that deliver warm lows (such as mahogany) will offer a muted classic vibe, whereas maple will deliver much more presence in the midrange, & at higher tunings, it's the midrange that really shows itself. Purpleheart, is spectacular at delivering crisp midrange tones, & is also great at projecting well too. It all depends on how far towards the classic or modern end of the spectrum you want to go.

Hope that helps,

Andy.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

CHEERS!

Check out the YAMAHA PHOENIX line (PHX), these drums are loud and they don't compromise tone. The best sounding loudest production kits I've heard to date.