DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Default Premier Drums looking healthy again?

Maybe I was wrong, but I was under the impression that Premier wasn't long for this world. But I read in the MMR update that they've acquired KD Drums, and plan on manufacturing more out of England again. Here's the article:

Premier Acquires KD Drums
Premier recently announced their acquisition of KD Drums. The takeover will see the formation of The Premier Drum Company Limited which will be the research, development and UK manufacturing operation for Premier Music International Limited, starting January 2012.

KD Drums, based in the North West of England, have built a reputation for custom-built snare drums and drumsets since their inception in 2003 under the management of Keith Keough, who will now take on the role of head of manufacture for Premier.

The acquisition of KD Drums heralds a return to UK manufacture for Premier with the first of the new British-built products due to be released at NAMM in January 2012. The Premier Drum Company will operate and manufacture from new factory premises in Lancashire with production starting in February 2012, which will allow KD drums to fulfill all existing orders beforehand. The Premier Drum Company will manufacture high-end snare drums to begin with, before moving on to British-built drumssets and orchestral and marching products, beginning in 2013.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Premier Drums looking healthy again?

I read that yesterday too.

Last I had heard, Premier had sold off much of it's assets and manufacturing capability. So I'm not sure whey get the capital to "buy" out a smaller company.

But given the management of the smaller company is now the "head of manufacture" of Premier under this deal, I wonder if KD Drums was actually the "buyer" of Premier.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

I don't own any Premier stuff, but they have some beautiful sets, and I hope they make a come back. Sure its the business world, but I think its unfortunate when older drum companies die, are eaten or fade away (Slingerland, Leedy, Camco, Rogers.....).
Old 12-23-2011, 06:41 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I hope so. If they're anything like as good as what they used to produce then they'll be good.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
I don't own any Premier stuff, but they have some beautiful sets, and I hope they make a come back. Sure its the business world, but I think its unfortunate when older drum companies die, are eaten or fade away (Slingerland, Leedy, Camco, Rogers.....).
Agreed. It was good to see Britain producing drums. I never had any of their drums but every nation should have a healthy musical instrument industry.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 PM

I have a very ambivalent view of Premier. I'm sure I share the experience of many British drummers in that my first ever kit was a Premier (4 piece white Premier Olympic).

I've never played or wanted to play a Premier kit since. I'd be sorry to see the company go but they haven't produced anything that I've wanted to buy since the Resonator series. But by golly those were drums and a half.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I read that yesterday too.

Last I had heard, Premier had sold off much of it's assets and manufacturing capability. So I'm not sure whey get the capital to "buy" out a smaller company.

But given the management of the smaller company is now the "head of manufacture" of Premier under this deal, I wonder if KD Drums was actually the "buyer" of Premier.
I know Keith, & Dean knows Keith very well. We're party to the basic details of this arrangement, but it wouldn't be fair to divulge the details publicly. I can confirm that Keith didn't buy Premier. I wish them luck in their new venture, & I know they have plans to do some stuff that's a departure from the offerings you'd expect from a mainstream name.

From time to time, Dean has supplied some steam bent & stave snare shells to Keith, for him to assemble & offer as KD drums. We've done this for other companies too, but no longer offer that service to custom shops.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I know Keith, & Dean knows Keith very well. We're party to the basic details of this arrangement, but it wouldn't be fair to divulge the details publicly. I can confirm that Keith didn't buy Premier. I wish them luck in their new venture, & I know they have plans to do some stuff that's a departure from the offerings you'd expect from a mainstream name.
Thanks Andy.

I'm looking forward to what ever Premier may have.
As a long time owner of a Premier Signia kit, I with the company all the best.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 AM

you dont know where in lancashire do you,i live in lancashire and wouldn't mind going for a look around.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 AM
wy yung

I am an aviation history buff. Geek with a capital G for aviation history. For this reason alone I would like to procure the new Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster snare drums. But Premier drums are so hard to buy. Nobody I know stocks them. And spare parts??? Forget it.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
I am an aviation history buff. Geek with a capital G for aviation history. For this reason alone I would like to procure the new Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster snare drums.
I'd be keen on a snipe or a camel ;) Maybe even an SE5a... yep waaay past bed time :)
Old 09-09-2012, 04:05 PM
wy yung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackamole View Post
I'd be keen on a snipe or a camel ;) Maybe even an SE5a... yep waaay past bed time :)

What, no Dolphin??? :-)
Old 09-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am an aviation history buff. Geek with a capital G for aviation history. For this reason alone I would like to procure the new Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster snare drums. But Premier drums are so hard to buy. Nobody I know stocks them. And spare parts??? Forget it.
Spare parts not an issue, as I know who makes their lugs & bits, & he also designed them.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:24 PM
wy yung

Oh really? Great! I want a Hurricane. PM me details as to whom I can purchase this drum.

Always loved the Hurricane. The Hurricane scored 75% of the kills during the Battle of Britain. A nephew of Sidney Cam is a friend.

I want each of those snares.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:27 PM
wy yung

Are they building rhe shells or are they imported from Asia?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Are they building rhe shells or are they imported from Asia?
Everything is done in house- and they look and sound awesome!
Old 09-09-2012, 05:21 PM
wy yung

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiainw View Post
Everything is done in house- and they look and sound awesome!

That settles it. I want them!

Thanks so much! :-)
Old 09-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I like the look of that Spitfire. THose lugs are sick! http://drumset.premier-percussion.co...ation-series-2
Old 09-09-2012, 05:31 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I just played a set of Premiers. They were part of a backline at a festival I did yesterday. Geez that was the best sounding backline kit I ever played. They were even headed nicely, and tuned pretty close to how drums should be tuned. In less than 2 minutes, I had that kit tuned up so nice. I just tightened the reso's a little on the 2 racks, (the floor tom I didn't have to touch) tweaked the batters so the heads cleared, and voila! I had an awesome sounding kit. I got to hear other bands play them after I tuned them up. Through the PA...it was one of the best drum tones I've heard in quite some time. The rack toms sung actual notes because they were tuned beyond the "wet thud" stage. Tom tone heaven! I was very pleased that someone finally had some consideration for the drummer for once.

I liked the thin shells. They tuned up effortlessly and they just sounded so responsive through the PA. They were literally dripping with great, woody tone.

I saw some really great drummers too! For once! I was beginning to worry! Great drummers on a great sounding kit through a properly set PA = all the ingredients I need to be satisfied.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:35 PM
wy yung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I like the look of that Spitfire. THose lugs are sick! http://drumset.premier-percussion.co...ation-series-2

Well the Spitfire is possibly the most graceful design ever concocted by the human race. :-)

Larry your description is gonna make me broke!!! :-D :-D
Old 09-09-2012, 05:36 PM
wy yung

Ha! The Supermarine snare drum. :-P
Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

At one time wasnt Premier basically just Yamaha.uk?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
At one time wasnt Premier basically just Yamaha.uk?
For a few years in the 90's, yes.

Yamaha bought Premier, ran it for a few years, then sold it.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't played any of their higher end stuff, but the Cabria kit we had at a school I used to teach at was an incredible value for money. Great sound and easy to tune. I could not say the same for the PDP kit they had at twice the price which by any standard was more or less useless and the source of many a headache at every soundcheck.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Great news. I played Premier back in the day.

Just one thing though......I much prefer the iconic red P badge, not sure about the Premier script badge logo.