Roger Taylor

I watched an old Queen concert from 1981 and I was frankly amazed at how technically adept Taylor was as a drummer. I guess Queens' music didn't lend itself to flashy fills but I bet Taylor could easily hold his own with the best of prog rock drummers.

Phenomenally solid drummer and a very very good backing vocalist.

Potentially could have showed more chops but did he need to? He served the song and is a stellar example of how drums should be played in the context of a band. Not once did he overplay on a record.

I'll tell you how great Roger Taylor is:

I'm not a fan of Queen. Nothing against them, but the concept always seemed too contrived for me.

Even so, Roger Taylor's drumming has always impressed and inspired me. When Queen would come on the radio I'd focus solely on his playing - tight, powerful, groovy and tasteful. Those 'reverse' tom fills on 'Best Friend' are just so perfect...I wish I could play like him.

The show was at the University of Md, College Park, Cole Field House (where the Terps basketball team plays), Queen was the headliner, and Thin Lizzy opened for them. It was an absolutely amazing show, almost like going to the theater. Probably one of my favorite shows to this day.

My word, that would have been the greatest concert ever! Growing up and listening to Queen and Thin Lizzy, I would have killed to see that concert!

Roger is incredible, I could identify his sound on any song. The signature hi hat accent, the sound of his kit, I know it like the back of my hand!

Roger's been a huge influence on me, as a backing vocalist and a drummer, superb voice, superb drummer. Doesn't get much better!

Is anyone familiar with his cymbal set up around 1977? I was listening to the uptempo version of We Will Rock You recorded for the BBC in October of '77 and Roger plays a crash that sounds phenomenal. I've seen one site that lists his set up as including a 22" Zildjian ride used as a crash and I'm wondering if anyone has any details about that particular cymbal.

wait is this the Duran Duran Roger Taylor or the Queen one. I'm confused.

They both can't play drums so I guess it doesn't really matter. (although the Duran Duran is obviously more compotent)

Okay I will take baby steps. You showed me that I have much to learn and am yet capable of manufacturing posts. And I couldn't be more thankful for this. I am a changed man. Baby steps to great success!

He's an awesome drummer, their early stuff is superb, but even when they changed their sound for the 80's, when ya hear it live, he's still awesome.

For me the best thing about him is his use of the hi-hat, he opens and closes it in reverse order. ie, opens it on the beat of the snare, it really adds something strange to all their songs. Very cool.

Also, in his early years, he looks like my Auntie Anne!!!!
[/QUOT And I always thought your Auntie Anne looked like Roger Taylor!

Is anyone familiar with his cymbal set up around 1977? I was listening to the uptempo version of We Will Rock You recorded for the BBC in October of '77 and Roger plays a crash that sounds phenomenal. I've seen one site that lists his set up as including a 22" Zildjian ride used as a crash and I'm wondering if anyone has any details about that particular cymbal.
He has a rule to always combine crash cymbals with bass or snare too. That would beef up that cymbal no end.

I'd never heard of always pairing crash with a bass or snare beat till I heard Roger saying it's a rule of his.
Is that standard in rock drumming? Or his own trademark?

I'd never heard of always pairing crash with a bass or snare beat till I heard Roger saying it's a rule of his.
Is that standard in rock drumming? Or his own trademark?
It’s one of the things he’s always done (hi hat opened with back beat), and funny thing, that works great for Queen songs, but not all songs. He’s totally unique and indentifiable. I love that guy!

Back