Idris Muhammad

Reviving an old thread: I have heard Idris' name before, but he was recently mentioned in a video lesson by Stanton Moore so I'm thinking about him again. But I don't know any of his work.

What works would people recommend for drummers just starting to listen to his playing?

Worth yet another revival I reckon - I only recently got hip to Idris.

My favourite tune so far is Loran's Dance from the Power of Soul album. This song forms the start of Beastie Boys, Paul's Boutique album which I got when it came out back in the day without realising it was a sample. Truly one of the funkiest things that has crossed my ear canal.

I can't believe what an awesome time we live in (assuming you aren't affected by war, famine, disease etc) where you can 'discover' an artist long gone and basically hear anything they recorded for less than $10 a month.

Last edited:
I always liked his work on the Lou Donaldson LP Alligator Bogaloo. That and the Andrew Hill album Grass Roots (although he's only on half the tracks).

Thanks for those recommendations, listened to them all and loved them.

I can't help wondering how my life might have been different if my parents had these sort of albums in the '70s instead of ABBA and Mario Lanza.:rolleyes:

For any Idris Muhammad fans out there, I highly recommend listening to Rodney Jones's album Soul Manifesto, which has Idris on drums. Extremely funky and excellent groovin'!!
Thanks for the tip. Nice grooves for a day on the road

For any Idris Muhammad fans out there, I highly recommend listening to Rodney Jones's album Soul Manifesto, which has Idris on drums. Extremely funky and excellent groovin'!!
Thank you brother.. Just bought it. Lovely album, lovely playing..
Another version of Soul Makossa as well.. 🙏🏻
Fantastic recommendation..

Didn't learn til much later, but he was the (originally uncredited) drummer on the Hair broadway soundtrack. I was a BIG fan of the playing on there and never knew who the drummer was until maybe 20 years ago! Great grooves, rock, funk, nice laid-back shuffle, Latin-y stuff, he could do it all.

Back