What's a good drum set that I should buy?

Leper Messiah

Hi, everyone! So I'm just a beginner and I was wondering which drum set I should buy. I live in India, and my budget stands on the below INR 35,000 line (which is basically $530). What do you think of these kits? (I don't want an electronic drum kit.)

Tama Rhythm Mate
Pearl Target
Mapex Q series

Any other kits you'd recommend? And while buying cymbals, which brand should I go for?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Agree, i have always heard great feedback about stage customs so thats a no brainer however i doubt if you will get these for less than $530 in India. In US its possible, do you have option to go for used one in India? Normally whats always suggested for us beginners is to get a 'good' used kit (easily available in US but i doubt that for India) and then add good used cymbals: This approach is also better if one is not sure if one will continue drumming..

Zildjan, SABIAN both are good brands but stay away from their entry level cymbals like ZBT and B8. If you can, go for their higher level like SABIAN A, AAs-used ones.

What purchase sources you have there? Furtadoes, Ebay?

Also, folks here helped me out in deciding on some used options I had in US. You can look at the options and price just to compare whats a good deal can be and compare if you are getting a similar one in India: Thread link: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109621

Last edited:
Yamaha Stage Custom. You will not be disappointed. It will last you a long time. Go buy it.

Also, I personally prefer Meinl cymbals but all cymbal brands have sets that aren't really worth buying. Like Pushkar said, stay away from B8 for Sabian and ZBT for Zildjian. If you decide to go Paiste, try to avoid PST3s and Meinl's HCS series isn't great... now the MCS is a rock solid first set of cymbals that I could personally recommend but just listen to samples online and pick what sounds good.

Last edited:
Okay, thank you everyone! Unfortunately, the Stage Custom is way out of my league (it's about double the price I mentioned, and I regret not checking it up initially) so, what about the other kits? Any of them any good?

And Pushkar: yeah, we've got Furtados and eBay and Amazon. And I'll check up that thread soon; thanks!

Buy used. Take your time and look around.
Buy a used Gretsch Catalina, Yamaha Stage Custom, Pearl Export, Sonor 2007 or Tama Rockstar. All you need is a 4 piece

Cymbals - buy used - hihats, crash and ride. Sabian Xs20, AA, Zildjian A.....

Back