Anyone ever wonder if it's all worth it?

I certainly feel that for some of us, there is a power trip going on, as in I'm not just playing for me, but for the people that know me, know my playing, and expect a certain level of playing from me. And although I don't have experience playing for a living, I believe those that do, have to at some point be doing it for other reasons than joy. There are going to be dates where you just don't feel like playing, yet you are obligated to.

I grew up thinking the drums looked cool, that I wanted to impress my siblings and friends by learning to play them. Did I enjoy the pure act of hitting them? Of course. But how much of my joy came from impressing people too? How much joy (or power trip) do we get when (a) we know we're kicking ass up there, and (b) we know not many people can do what we can do?

And in today's world of drumming, with the internet, the online videos, the myriad of recording tools, it's getting very competitive. And fun.

Steph

Yep, that's me. In fact, some people couldn't handle what I go through on my current gig. So there is a bit of ego-pumping going on.

I certainly feel that for some of us, there is a power trip going on, as in I'm not just playing for me, but for the people that know me, know my playing, and expect a certain level of playing from me. And although I don't have experience playing for a living, I believe those that do, have to at some point be doing it for other reasons than joy. There are going to be dates where you just don't feel like playing, yet you are obligated to.

I grew up thinking the drums looked cool, that I wanted to impress my siblings and friends by learning to play them. Did I enjoy the pure act of hitting them? Of course. But how much of my joy came from impressing people too? How much joy (or power trip) do we get when (a) we know we're kicking ass up there, and (b) we know not many people can do what we can do?

And in today's world of drumming, with the internet, the online videos, the myriad of recording tools, it's getting very competitive. And fun.

Steph

Interesting perspective and I'm sure one that's shared by many. I however grew up in this from a totally different place.

My dad played and some other extended family members were engaged in playing music for fun by the time I was 10. For me, it was simply something I saw interesting and went for. My dad played until he couldn't any longer. He did it for self enjoyment, me the same.

I'm not interested in competing. I genuinely have little to no interest within the context of playing at any level from the vantage point of saying "look at what I can do". I have no interest in trying to impress anyone. Honestly, I have very little interest in gigging much. My life outside of drumming is very busy and when not working, revolves around my wife and child - not the instrument. Drums are there for me to explore as I so desire when I am able to do so. The instrument does not come first for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of this I agree with. However I don't feel it applies to the practice room. Practice...if it's done right...is work. Work can be frustrating. It's the frustration that is pushing you forward. It would serve you well (talking to The Prof here) if you re-thought your frustration process.

Frustration....reveals your limitations. One must reveal one's limitations if those limitations are to be overcome. What I'm trying to say is frustration is a mark of progress. Maybe not today's progress, but tomorrow's.

Many times I come out of my own personal practice not frustrated. Which means I really didn't work that hard. I'm trying to make you realize that you (a) are a hard worker because you get frustrated, or (b) you're easily frustrated (very detrimental). If you look at the big picture when you are frustrated, meaning seeing frustration as a mark of imminent progress...maybe the frustration will be easier to endure.

Re: technique....Speaking for myself only, if I didn't have a teacher that taught a very specific technique, with detailed physical instructions about exactly how to move the stick...I wouldn't be here. Learning an efficient way to move the stick was far and away the greatest thing I ever did for my drumming. So for myself at least, I place a LOT of importance on technique, because I know what it did for me.

But everyone is different, there's many ways to the waterfall, I found mine, and everyone has to find theirs too.

This is a big help Larry, thanks.

And what is your experience level? Tell us more about yourself please. How long have you been playing drums? Any videos we can look at?

I've been playing for 12 years but never practiced until 2.5 years ago (just played in bands) - at that point I moved to Chicago and decided to actually put some work into it. I found a teacher and have been working hard ever since. I've seen a big improvement in my playing which is satisfying, but when I hit those walls of frustration it can be difficult. This is exacerbated by the fact I have never enjoyed playing out although I've done my fair share of it. When I'm on a downer I wonder what the point of a drummer who only plays to themselves is. That is, until I start enjoying it again! No videos yet - maybe one day :)

Yep, that's me. In fact, some people couldn't handle what I go through on my current gig. So there is a bit of ego-pumping going on.

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whos gunna do it? You? You, Lt Weiberg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Santiago's death while tragic probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque, and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall.
We use words like honor, code, and loyalty. We use those words as a backbone of a life defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time or the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises, and sleeps, under the blanket of freedom that I provide, and then questions the very method that I provide it. I would rather you just say thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand apost. Either way, I don't give a damn, what you think you are entitled to."

Couldn't resist :)

You see me on that wall. You need me on that wall. You WANT me on that wall.

Actually I do have a couple of recordings from a current project here https://soundcloud.com/blueskygrey/on-sundays-1 and here https://soundcloud.com/blueskygrey/from-a-rooftop. They are home recordings with fairly bad recording and mixing and played pretty stiff as we had just started playing together, but you'll get the idea.

Listened to both tunes and neither IMO were technique-intensive, although your playing was good and well placed. Is it possible, assuming your other material is similar in style and technicality, that your finger practice is frustrating because you haven't played a music style it can translate to?

Perhaps I've been playing jazz too long and don't get it, but it's hard to make an assessment from here.

Steph

I certainly feel that for some of us, there is a power trip going on, as in I'm not just playing for me, but for the people that know me, know my playing, and expect a certain level of playing from me.
Steph

Thinking like this while playing partially derails me. The second I think somebody is checking me out, or is expecting something from me, that's the second I stop feeling the groove, and as a result I momentarily falter, at least in my head and many times more. I can't even go there, but my ego has a mind of it's own and sometimes it takes me there before I have a chance to avoid it.. That's pure ego talking right there, and for some maybe it's a positive thing but for me it's what I need to avoid.

I used to go there a lot, but in the past few years I've come to realize that it's best to avoid that mindset, for myself. Others may thrive in that situation, I would like to be able to thrive as well, but yea, no, it's not happening.

Actually I do have a couple of recordings from a current project here https://soundcloud.com/blueskygrey/on-sundays-1 and here https://soundcloud.com/blueskygrey/from-a-rooftop. They are home recordings with fairly bad recording and mixing and played pretty stiff as we had just started playing together, but you'll get the idea.
Interesting :) First track reminds me of a Wings tune vibe. Some nice touches. Ok, a few tense moments in tempo changes, & a touch urgent in places, but I liked your playing overall.

Steph's correct of course, nothing "finger technique" challenging in there, so maybe it isn't something that features in your normal playing. She's also right about her being in jazz for too long too ;) ;) ;)

Ha! I guess you got me there. This project doesn't really need the finger work, but one of my other projects is a more up tempo hard rock/metal outfit that I would like to be able to do faster 16th note rudimental fills with but sometimes the wrists just can't cut it.

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whos gunna do it? You? You, Lt Weiberg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Santiago's death while tragic probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque, and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall.
We use words like honor, code, and loyalty. We use those words as a backbone of a life defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time or the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises, and sleeps, under the blanket of freedom that I provide, and then questions the very method that I provide it. I would rather you just say thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand apost. Either way, I don't give a damn, what you think you are entitled to."

Couldn't resist :)

You see me on that wall. You need me on that wall. You WANT me on that wall.

Hahaha! I love that movie! But actually, if you saw what I was doing exactly, you probably would say 'no' to it. Like I should have ;)

I didn't read every word of all of these posts but I can tell you this. For me it's worth it. I am not the best drummer. In fact I would bet that 80% of the drummers on this forum are better than me (you other 20% are in trouble).

Drumming saved my life. Pardon for the rant but right now I have to get this off my chest. In 2008 I had a heart attack while attending a good friends wedding. It was due to low red blood count. When the doctors went to find out why, they discovered a cancerous tumor in my duodenum (for those of you who don't want to look it up, it's the small part of the small intestine that connects the stomach with the rest of the intestines. The doctors said I had to have something called a Whipple procedure (you can look that one up but I will tell you that there are very few of us walking around 6 years out who have had one). The surgery was a success but the patient almost died. Due to medical allergies I contracted something called a Heparin Induced Thrombocitepenia or HIT and severe Coronary Thrombosis (which is blood clots) all over my body. I spent two months in ICU mostly NPO (nothing by mouth-I lost 80 lbs.) and no one was sure if I would live or not. Obviously, I did.

I spent another month in a step down unit learn how to eat and swallow again. I had a new grandchild and four things gave me the incentive to recover. One was my grandson, one was my wife, one was the desire to drive my '82 Nissan 280ZX again and, finally but not last, was the desire to play again.

After that, I spent another month in a rehab hospital learning to walk again. There I met a music therapist who, when she found out I was a musician and especially a drummer, brought me a practice pad and some sticks. She played the piano while I banged on the practice pad. I was a great incentive to get out and back to life.

Since then I have had to have radiation and chemo therapies which put me in the hospital each time.

It never occurred to me that I wouldn't live but I had serious doubts that I would ever really recover. Well, I did and until recently, I have almost completely.

I say "until recently" because the cancer is back. The good news is that I'm a lot stronger now and I can handle the radiation and chemo that knocked me on my butt before and the prognosis is good the doctors say. The bad news is...
...well, there is no bad news because I am going to be fine. There is no other option.

So, if you ask me "if it is all worth it?", I say...

Hell Yes!!!

Sorry for the rant. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Does a bear...oh, nevermind.

Glad to hear you're a fighter, Zickos. People who have a passion for life are the fortunate. Never give up!

Steph's correct of course, nothing "finger technique" challenging in there, so maybe it isn't something that features in your normal playing. She's also right about her being in jazz for too long too ;) ;) ;)

I'm more of a contemporary jazz player than swing, but thanks for the compliment LOL.
I'm in the middle of my 2 hr practice so I'll respond later :)

I used to go there a lot, but in the past few years I've come to realize that it's best to avoid that mindset, for myself. Others may thrive in that situation, I would like to be able to thrive as well, but yea, no, it's not happening.

Yeah, I completely understand. Perhaps I'm just a dreamer. There's certainly that balance that puts job first before anything else. But somehow - hey I'm single - I find a way to get a couple hours practice in daily. I have to be pretty excited about that...

Ha! I guess you got me there. This project doesn't really need the finger work, but one of my other projects is a more up tempo hard rock/metal outfit that I would like to be able to do faster 16th note rudimental fills with but sometimes the wrists just can't cut it.

Well I hope you now understand the context of the problem you face. That it is far from simple, although the solution to it could be (ie changing the style of music you play). The fact that you're digging in with a teacher at the age of 31 (according to your profile) means you wanna kick *** at some point. I like that and respect that.

Hahaha! I love that movie! But actually, if you saw what I was doing exactly, you probably would say 'no' to it. Like I should have ;)

Ok, but I guess I'm not sure if you're referring to the music style or the grunt work getting the gear in the door, or having to deal with managers, or what ever. I certainly don't know why I pulled a quote from "A Few Good Men" :) I couldn't find the quote so, yes, I did go through the pain of transcribing it from a youtube video. Oh well...

So, if you ask me "if it is all worth it?", I say...

Hell Yes!!!

Sorry for the rant. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

I appreciate you coming forward with that. It's a touching story you have there. Here's hoping for the best for you, that you make it through this to play another day!!

I'm going to get off my soapbox you guys have graciously allowed me to stand on for the past few days. I hope at least some of what I've said rings true with some of you here. If not, then that's okay too. Maybe it's just as important being able to chime in when you feel the need to. Anyway.... back to practice!!!!!

Regards,

Steph

Anyone ever wonder if it's all worth it?

All the time.

It's tough being older and looking at some of my peers who are light years ahead of me.
And on this forum, there are tons of players much younger who can do so much more.
It's a bitter pill.

But I think back to when I was 22, about 10 or 11 months into my year long program at PIT. I was sitting on the floor of my practice room, and just exhausted and overwhelmed by it all. I realized my name would never be in the same sentence as the really great drummers. But I also realized 90% of the music on the radio, the people listen to, and such, doesn't require advanced drumming. So what if I don't have advanced chops, or super skills, I can still play music . And playing music is why I became a drummer.

Wow - how's that for coincidence! I'm in the middle of my 2 hour practice too. It started in 2008 ;) ;) ;)

Well any way you can get it :) I managed to get an hour in, so yesterday would be considered 'maintenance'. I didn't move backwards basically. Arthritis or carpel tunnel syndrome hasn't settled in, so I'm good there. Although after 8 weeks off I was starting to get tight in the wrists, and perhaps getting a few tweaks here and there. Scary. Somehow playing everyday keeps those things at bay.

I've had so many tweaks that simply, repaired themselves just by my staying active with playing. I don't do any fancy stretching either, although there was a time there, a period of 2-3 yrs, where I tried to keep a stick in my left trad hand where ever I went, grocery store, parking lot to work, bus, walking the dog. I haven't asked any questions other than "am I getting anything out of this?".

And yes, there were plenty of points where frustration could've crept in, especially in the early phase of what I call a 'reinvention', where I basically started over on how I strike the drum, you know, the complete stick control thing revisited.

Regards

Only you can answer if it is worth it. But never ask yourself that after a bad practice or reherarsal.

I'm not the best drummer in the world. I am not the worst drummer in the world. I expect to be better next month than I am this month.

I know what I can do and what I can't do, at least today. I try to increase what I can do over time, without a specific deadline in mind.

Practice has its ups and downs. After a bad practice, I simply practice the next time I have time. Usually it is better than the previous bad practice.

Some things take a long time to learn. Others not so much.

Measure you against you, not the professional drummer you are trying to emulate.

Confidence and feel, serving the music, and enjoying the other members of the band and the audience are far more important than hitting every bass drum 1/16th note.

I usually enjoy playing but also often find myself getting really annoyed that I can't do something...like today for example trying(and failing) to improve my finger control with the left hand. I end up getting so annoyed at myself I wonder if I should just give up - I don't even enjoy playing out because of nerves, so what's the point? Then of course tomorrow comes around and I'm back to enjoying it again :)

Anyone else ever get this?

If you're never getting frustrated or running in to problems, you'll get bored of it. You'd never overcome or learn anything and you wouldn't get that sense of satisfaction. It's normal, the same thing happens to me sometimes. But don't give up, it's rewarding in the end!

Back