Bonham with Elton, audio!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
The day John Bonham auditioned for Elton John! Well, not exactly, but it might have sounded like this...

Attachments

• satnitebonham.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 384
I love mashups like that. Good stuff, great fun.

Best one I ever did was a HAL9000 versus Cheech&Chong (What are you doing Dave / Dave's not here).

Never thought I'd say this, but Bonzo is over-playing the song. ;-)

I love Bonham's feel and approach, but I never got why people thought his time was great. My little clip took a LOT of massaging and editing to get it to line up even as fairly poorly as it does, and I'm not even talking about tempo - it's the severe pushing and pulling within a bar or two and especially over fills that made it so difficult. The mashup ends where it does because I didn't have the patience to go further with it. It was fun, but just too tedious considering the result.

It can either sound like Bonham, or it can sound right... but not both.

Then again, I wouldn't try to slip a Nigel Olsson drum track into an LZ song :)

On that Bonzo track, he's just jamming in his head to one of the grooves from a song with no accompaniment - just him. So I'm not surprised he's sort of on and off during the clip.

Regardless, I still love those audio clips. They're priceless.

Ahhh yes. To me this shows why JB was so very responsible for the signature Led Zep sound, and why he was rarely a session drummer on any other people's work.
I think it is a great merit when somebody has such a signature sound. I would put Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell and of course Keith Moon in that lot as well.

Like wearing stripes and plaid together.

On that Bonzo track, he's just jamming in his head to one of the grooves from a song with no accompaniment - just him. So I'm not surprised he's sort of on and off during the clip.

Regardless, I still love those audio clips. They're priceless.

What's he supposed to be playing? I don't think I've heard this clip before and I'm having trouble recognizing it.

So, the trivia question is: Which LZ song did BERMUDA use?

The snare tuning is a giveaway to me which album.

Here's a hint, one of the lyric lines is 'Tired of ya doing the things that you do'

Can't open it. The link isn't a link to an mp3. It's a link to a web page that is supposed to stream the file, but it isn't working.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 306
Back