Vinnie: Back to YAMAHA?

just_hit

I found this video on Youtube; here and here when Vinnie play with Herbie Hancock. Is this real YAMAHA kit; Absolute series with YESS mount and Nouveou lug. Can anyone explain this please?

So soon after signing with Ludwig?I doubt it,but nothing's impossible.

He dosen't strike me as the Buddy or Carmine Appice endorser deal of the week kind of guy.

I think Yamaha would be screaming his name from the rafters if it were true,still that did look like his cymbal set up,and not a back line kit.

Stay tuned boys and girls.Tune in tomorrow,same bat time ,same bat channel.

Steve B

Last edited:
My guess is that backline was used, and - although Ludwig has distribution in South America - there probably wasn't a Ludwig kit available.

Vinnie's always adored Ludwig, it's unlikely he'd leave so quickly.

Bermuda

still that did look like his cymbal set up,and not a back line kit.

And even if it were, he could block the logos and be at least reasonably inside an endorser agreement.

Something about how he went to Ludwig and Paiste didn't really sit well with me, but then, I figure as a pro he's doing what he feels his career can handle.

When traveling in foreign countries, it's pretty common to use a back line kit that may not always be the right brand.

But in such cases, the artist will at least cover the logo on the front bass drum head.

It is rather curious the Yamaha name is not covered.

Maybe someone else on the bill was a Yamaha endorser so no gaff tape for Vinnie. Lot of set up on Herbie's side for a fly in though. How many iPads does it take?

And even if it were, he could block the logos and be at least reasonably inside an endorser agreement.

That would be the correct thing to do...

Again, gotta agree with Bermuda. More than likely a logistical problem that didn't allow for him to get a set of Luddies at the gig. If this wasn't a full scale tour and just a one or two night thing then that would make sense.

Maybe someone else on the bill was a Yamaha endorser so no gaff tape for Vinnie. Lot of set up on Herbie's side for a fly in though. How many iPads does it take?

I don't buy that. There's ways to block it without putting a piece of gaffing tape all the way down the logo. Just looks like he didn't make the effort, and I don't think it was a multi-artist gig...

My guess is that backline was used, and - although Ludwig has distribution in South America - there probably wasn't a Ludwig kit available.

Vinnie's always adored Ludwig, it's unlikely he'd leave so quickly.

Bermuda

Id say Bermuda is spot-on here.
This happens often, as it isnt always possible to get the artists everything they nee
d in time, kits included!

Id say Bermuda is spot-on here.
This happens often, as it isnt always possible to get the artists everything they nee
d in time, kits included!

i think that night only for Herbie Hancock perform, so the kit just for Vinnie; hardware from dw like cymbal and hihat stand and etc, ... so, why Vinnie choose to using yamaha kit than other kit like dw because Vinnie one of endorser of dw (hardware), or why he didn't to remove yamaha brand or request event organizer to do that or request for change "yamaha" drum head with another drum head?

Definitely backline, and definitely a one-nighter. Sting must be on break.

Also, the Front logo head has an Evans logo on it also, and I know Vinnie is not an Evans endorser either.

BTW, killin' performance! James Genus, Vinnie, and ZAKIR HUSAIN on the same stage with Herbie! Awesome!

i think that night only for Herbie Hancock perform, so the kit just for Vinnie; hardware from dw like cymbal and hihat stand and etc, ... so, why Vinnie choose to using yamaha kit than other kit like dw because Vinnie one of endorser of dw (hardware), or why he didn't to remove yamaha brand or request event organizer to do that or request for change "yamaha" drum head with another drum head?

Actually he is now a Ludwig Atlas hardware endorser.

Got the skinny - it was a backline issue, Vinnie and Ludwig are still good.

Bermuda

Back