What's with the cape inside joke?

To be fair, some had speculated that it was a tall tale. I mean, running off the stage because you fell over your instrument?? It's hard to imagine.

Just had an image of Keith Emerson rocking his Hammond a bit too far and coming down with it. Funny thought.

The only thing anyone can do in that situation is laugh at life's vagaries, pick up the mess and get back to it ASAP, so I call BS :)

To be fair, some had speculated that it was a tall tale........

..........so I call BS :)

Nah, too convenient for him, G. I mean, the claim that he "made it all up" gave him an even better hiding place than behind his mother's skirt. A not very convincing effort to salvage what little dignity might have been left.

I reckon it was true and he only back peddled when the absurdity of it all was highlighted and the consequent teasing started. ;-)

Ha! (or should I say "haga"!) Nope J, I still can't see it. There is no way on Earth that anyone would actually run away after falling over their drums. I mean, sure, there's going to be a fight or flight reaction but that doesn't seem realistic to me.

I could be wrong and often am, but that's how I see it.

Dunno......maybe, I just want it to be true.

I just reckon the whole saga......the cape, the sheer blind panic, running and cowering, getting mum to pick up the gear, the whole hilarious shebang........was just too elaborate a tale for a young fella to have come up with off the cuff.

Given he disappeared from view only a mere month (4 or 5 posts) after submitting that thread, I just reckon there was something to it all. Looks like bolting to avoid the shame to me......and let's face it, legging it seems true to form. :)

This all happened before my time; I'd managed to piece some of it together but hadn't seen the original thread. I read it at 0500 this morning. Alas, my snorts of suppressed laughter woke Mr Madge so DW and I are in the doghouse, but it's been worth it. Priceless!

Dunno......maybe, I just want it to be true.

I just reckon the whole saga......the cape, the sheer blind panic, running and cowering, getting mum to pick up the gear, the whole hilarious shebang........was just too elaborate a tale for a young fella to have come up with off the cuff.

True, it's elaborate and maybe close enough to his usual style of posting ... but ... seriously ... bolting in the middle of a gig? Imagine being in the audience and seeing that lol

Alas, my snorts of suppressed laughter woke Mr Madge so DW and I are in the doghouse, but it's been worth it. Priceless!

Has he seen the post now?

Has he seen the post now?

No. I told him I was laffing at something on DW and he just rolled his eyes. I can't imagine why.

I think the tale has a veracious ring to it too. I absolutely loved the way he referred to the cape as casually as if it had been a shirt. Makes me wonder how on earth I've managed to live this long without wearing one.

I have a cousin ,that at 14 years of age,actually though he was a secret agent.This was in the 60's when James Bond,The Man fron UNCLE,The Avengers,and Secret Agent were popular.

He ran around with a brief case and carried a BB pistol,in a sholder holster,and had a knife and a set of 2 way radios in his brief case.

This wasn't something he did on occasion as play,he did this every single day,except he didn't carry the BB pistol in school.

One day,my uncle had had enough,and in front of me and my parents,he took all of his secret agent stuff away,and went on a tirade of how he really wasn't a secret agent.

My cousin ran away,in the dead of winter,no coat,no shoes as he had a complete panic/anxiety attack,being embassased in front of us.

So I can find the possibility of the cape story,certainly plauseable,and have on occasion see teenagers do stranger and more dangerous things to get attention,or run away from it.

So ,I'm with Jules on this one.I think this kid assumed ,he was addressing a forum of his peers,age wise ,and was just playing"my storie's better then your story",or maybe,he was curious if anybody else wore a spiffy cape,while drumming.

In the context of early Genesis Peter Gabriel,Alice Cooper,and Kiss,it's not really that bizzare .

Steve B

I'm going to assume he never played again after that night, and that he has his cape, along with that stick, in a dusty old shoe box that he pulls out every once and a while, just to reminisce and tell himself how things could have been different had he just held onto that stick.

Originally it wasn't just a bullet-point list. He had a story with details.

I have a cousin ,that at 14 years of age,actually though he was a secret agent.This was in the 60's when James Bond,The Man fron UNCLE,The Avengers,and Secret Agent were popular.

He ran around with a brief case and carried a BB pistol,in a sholder holster,and had a knife and a set of 2 way radios in his brief case.

This wasn't something he did on occasion as play,he did this every single day,except he didn't carry the BB pistol in school.

One day,my uncle had had enough,and in front of me and my parents,he took all of his secret agent stuff away,and went on a tirade of how he really wasn't a secret agent.

My cousin ran away,in the dead of winter,no coat,no shoes as he had a complete panic/anxiety attack,being embassased in front of us.

So I can find the possibility of the cape story,certainly plauseable,and have on occasion see teenagers do stranger and more dangerous things to get attention,or run away from it.

So ,I'm with Jules on this one.I think this kid assumed ,he was addressing a forum of his peers,age wise ,and was just playing"my storie's better then your story",or maybe,he was curious if anybody else wore a spiffy cape,while drumming.

In the context of early Genesis Peter Gabriel,Alice Cooper,and Kiss,it's not really that bizzare .

Steve B

Steve, it's pretty clear it was actually you. That thinly veiled story about a 14 YO cousin.....you're among friends here Steve, it's OK. You couldn't be a secret agent, but a detective is pretty close. It's OK lol.

:p

LOL...pretty funny.Actually at that age,I was a high school freshman,and I was into my drums,going to live concerts at the Fillmore East,The Garden,Bottom Line,The Bitter End,record stores in the Village,GIRLS,Dayglow posters and black lights,,smoking dope,GIRLS,protesting the war in Vietnam,smoking dope,playing in my band,good books,the NY Times,GIRLS,The Hobbet,and Castenadas "Tales of Power",GIRLS,smoking hash,...(sorry said that already)MUSIC of the day,Beatles,Hendrix,The Who.Tull,Santana,Cream.Zappa and anything else that was revoloutionary,and counter culture.Did I say dropping acid?

My cousin eventually came back to his house,a few hours later,feet bleeding and freezing.He assumed a new identity as Batman.After that,he eventually settled down,moved to Bucks county Pennsylvania and became an electrician,who has his own business whos name sounds like the name of a playing card..Tag....your it.:):)

Steve B

Last edited:
I'm going to assume he never played again after that night, and that he has his cape, along with that stick, in a dusty old shoe box that he pulls out every once and a while, just to reminisce and tell himself how things could have been different had he just held onto that stick.

I don't know about the shoe box,or that infamous stick,but he still posts here on occasion.You got to give em' that.:)

I'll bet he burned the cape though.Now he just uses a Batman mask,to hide his true identity.So even if the drums get knocked over again,he won't have to fear being recognized.He can just call mom on the cell,and bum a ride.

And the story continues............................

Steve B

Too Funny...... I've often wondered about the origins of the cape banter...... Terry

It's not ideal drumming attire. I mean, even I have something a bit more modest for actually playing in.

Back