Yamaha Hex Rack 2

Well, I had a hunch it would eventually show up, and it did. Cool. I have two complete 1st edition models, so I probably won't be picking up any version 2 racks. But good to know, extra clamps are available, and the guys on eBay trying to sell the old clamps for $99, well, good luck with that !!!​

Didnt like the first one, don't like the second one. Not with acoustic drums anyways.

I don't like racks, but I confess it would be easier to mount all my gear...

It's my 14" hanging tom that kills me. I'm torn between putting RIMS legs on it, or just buying a rack and make mounting all my other toms easier...

If I did pick one up though, it'd be the Hex.

Didnt like the first one, don't like the second one. Not with acoustic drums anyways.

Your opinion sounds very uninformed to me. The Hexrack/Hexrack II are more than enough to hold acoustic drums. Certainly as sturdy and quite possibly more versatile than any of the other racks out there. Have you ever even seen one in person?

Hi guys I saw that Yamaha introduced the Hex rack 2 at the NAAM show. Anyone know anything about these? What are your guy's thoughts on it?

Edit: Here is a link to it if you want to check it out. http://www.gearwire.com/yamaha-hex-rack-2.html
The biggest differences are the extra channels in the bars and the new clamps aren't as adjustable (they only adjust vertically and not horizontally) as the original ones. I actually think the new clamps would make it easier for mounting cymbal arms more straight up. I may have to try some.
Well, I had a hunch it would eventually show up, and it did. Cool. I have two complete 1st edition models, so I probably won't be picking up any version 2 racks. But good to know, extra clamps are available, and the guys on eBay trying to sell the old clamps for $99, well, good luck with that !!!​
Lately, they've been going for as little as $50 on ebay.

Your opinion sounds very uninformed to me. The Hexrack/Hexrack II are more than enough to hold acoustic drums. Certainly as sturdy and quite possibly more versatile than any of the other racks out there. Have you ever even seen one in person?
My opinions are rarely uninformed. Have you seen my kits? I know a little bit cocky, but I rarely go in uninformed. I said nothing about their strength. I have seen many in person, did all my online research. Have even felt and played with them. I should of been more clear.

When I put my 3500 dollar DW rack together, I looked at everything out there. Yamaha, DW, Tama, Gibralter. The DW one was the classiest looking rack of the bunch, for my Arctic Monster. I did not want a rack that was going to be the centre of attention, because of colour, or silver mat finishes, or chrome, that shows every finger print and mark. The Yamaha is good for that, but it looks like something from outer space. When I look at pics of kits that use them, and I looked at many, the Yamaha rack almost always overshadows the kit. I have the same silver matt finish on my Yamaha FJR1300 street bike, on the triple clamp handle bar assembly, and don't like it. Well the whole yamaha rack is this finish. Even Yamaha's turning nobs, are too out there. They have this double or triple step to the handles that says look at me.

I think Yamaha racks look great on electronic drums. That works for me. I am not a Yamaha product hater. I have one street bike, two dirt bikes, a digital mixing studio, and other things throughout the years. I really don't like that none marking finish that they put on all their drum products, and some of their bike stuff. It just stands out too much for me. I won't even bring up all the plastic in all the fittings. :(

My opinions are rarely uninformed. Have you seen my kits? I know a little bit cocky, but I rarely go in uninformed. I said nothing about their strength. I have seen many in person, did all my online research. Have even felt and played with them. I should of been more clear.

When I put my 3500 dollar DW rack together, I looked at everything out there. Yamaha, DW, Tama, Gibralter. The DW one was the classiest looking rack of the bunch, for my Arctic Monster. I did not want a rack that was going to be the centre of attention, because of colour, or silver mat finishes, or chrome, that shows every finger print and mark. The Yamaha is good for that, but it looks like something from outer space. When I look at pics of kits that use them, and I looked at many, the Yamaha rack almost always overshadows the kit. I have the same silver matt finish on my Yamaha FJR1300 street bike, on the triple clamp handle bar assembly, and don't like it. Well the whole yamaha rack is this finish. Even Yamaha's turning nobs, are too out there. They have this double or triple step to the handles that says look at me.

I think Yamaha racks look great on electronic drums. That works for me. I am not a Yamaha product hater. I have one street bike, two dirt bikes, a digital mixing studio, and other things throughout the years. I really don't like that none marking finish that they put on all their drum products, and some of their bike stuff. It just stands out too much for me. I won't even bring up all the plastic in all the fittings. :(

I can appreciate that you did your research and that you’re not a “Yamaha hater.” We just have different opinions on this particular subject. The same old tube style racks from DW, Gibraltar, and even the old Yamaha one just don’t excite me. I love that the Hexrack looks like it’s from outer space. People ask me about it all the time and I get nothing but compliments about it. It’s a well thought out rack that is very easy to set up and tear down once all the memory locks are in place.
I play out just about every weekend and have had zero issues with it since I got it about two years ago. Thanks to the matte finish, it always looks clean and still looks brand new even though I’m often less than careful with it when loading it in and out of the van. I don’t think the Hexrack is the center of attention. I think it adds visually to the whole set up. See for yourself.
Photo0034.jpg

Photo0037.jpg

Photo0038.jpg

Your kit looks great. I guess we just have to agree to disagree, and that is cool. :)
I wanted my drums to be the focal point. As you can see, none of my rack gets in front of my shells. The stainless bars are all lower than the drums, and all the tom mounts are turned to the sides, so that the shells and badges are showing. The rack is just there for support. Now if you look at it up close, it is a beautiful thing. Especially the clamps. I also like that there are no contrasting colors with the rack itself to take away any attention from the drums.

1068.jpg

998Rack.jpg

Your kit looks great. I guess we just have to agree to disagree, and that is cool. :)
I wanted my drums to be the focal point. As you can see, none of my rack gets in front of my shells. The stainless bars are all lower than the drums, and all the tom mounts are turned to the sides, so that the shells and badges are showing. The rack is just there for support. Now if you look at it up close, it is a beautiful thing. Especially the clamps. I also like that there are no contrasting colors with the rack itself to take away any attention from the drums.

How did I know that photos of your Arctic Montster were going to pop up on this thread? Those outdoor shots have to be the most posted set of pictures on this forum. LOL!
I still don't get how the Hexrack has contrasting colors. There's nothing that you're doing with your rack that couldn't be done with a Hexrack.

How did I know that photos of your Arctic Montster were going to pop up on this thread? Those outdoor shots have to be the most posted set of pictures on this forum. LOL!
I still don't get how the Hexrack has contrasting colors. There's nothing that you're doing with your rack that couldn't be done with a Hexrack.
I never said that the hex rack had any build limitations. I have seen some crazy structures built with the Yamaha rack. It is just the overall look. It is sparkly, the nobs are too ornate, It just looks gimmicky to me. That's all.

I don't like racks, but I confess it would be easier to mount all my gear...

It's my 14" hanging tom that kills me. I'm torn between putting RIMS legs on it, or just buying a rack and make mounting all my other toms easier...

If I did pick one up though, it'd be the Hex.
Easy fix WorldMax I picked up some Chrome nylon locking nuts to go with it because I didn't like the wing nuts that they come with............

DSCN7797.jpg

DSCN7792.jpg

DSCN7799.jpg

I do miss some parts. I hope they come out with a few more clamps (at least cymbal tops with is the biggest limitation for endless setups)

Overall it's just a sweet rack.

Leaves no fingerprints (at least at the I), lightest out there, sturdy and even smaller in size then its predecessor.

See I like the look of that a lot more than the black ones they come with. Are those to bolts in the shell from where you took off the hanging hardware?

Yes just get a pair of Chrome Bolts and your done.....

I can appreciate that you did your research and that you’re not a “Yamaha hater.” We just have different opinions on this particular subject. The same old tube style racks from DW, Gibraltar, and even the old Yamaha one just don’t excite me. I love that the Hexrack looks like it’s from outer space. People ask me about it all the time and I get nothing but compliments about it. It’s a well thought out rack that is very easy to set up and tear down once all the memory locks are in place.
I play out just about every weekend and have had zero issues with it since I got it about two years ago. Thanks to the matte finish, it always looks clean and still looks brand new even though I’m often less than careful with it when loading it in and out of the van. I don’t think the Hexrack is the center of attention. I think it adds visually to the whole set up. See for yourself.
Photo0034.jpg

Photo0037.jpg

Photo0038.jpg

That is an awesome looking kit.

Thanks guys. Hey, Mike. If you look closely, you can see your bass drum plate. I really need to get an up close pic to post on the "Like a Virgin" thread.

Now I know why I like that kit so much lol......
Can't go wrong with the Hex Rack!

Have started using the DW rack with my Yammie Maple Customs. I also have the old Yamaha Tube Rack . . . which worked well as long as I memory locked everything. Almost bought the Hex Rack ... then found out Yamaha discontinued it and no one could get parts. The Hex 2 looks BEASTLY . . . especially the tom holder mounts . . .

Back