Aquarian vs Evans muffled bass heads

I'm looking at bass heads Musicians Friend and trying to compare pre-packs.

The Aquarian has a Super Kick I batter and a resonant head, both with their "Floating Muffling System"

Evans has an EQ3 pack or individual EMAD heads.

Both get good reviews, but the Evans are a good $30+ more for the two heads.

Has anyone used both to compare? Any opinions would be much appreciated. I've been away from drumming for a while and haven't bought heads in years.

Both will bring out a deep thump.

The Aquarian is slightly more "diffuse" sounding while the evans has a bit more attack.

Both can be dialed in.

If economics is an issue, you won't be disappointed with the less expensive drumhead.

I am looking into attack myself, as some products are much less money. (Like super thin resos--30-40% cheaper than evans).

Thanks for the advice. At some point this year I'll most likely be doing new heads all around. From what I'm seeing it looks like Aquarian might be slightly cheaper than Evans across the board, but the user reviews are very good on both.

I'll be replacing some old Remo pinstripes, and the stock bass heads.

As I slowly became dissapointed with the sound of my Powersonic head, I am seriously considering trying an aquarian head, whats the loudest, most open Aquarian head for bass?

I'm looking at bass heads Musicians Friend and trying to compare pre-packs.

The Aquarian has a Super Kick I batter and a resonant head, both with their "Floating Muffling System"

Evans has an EQ3 pack or individual EMAD heads.

Both get good reviews, but the Evans are a good $30+ more for the two heads.

Has anyone used both to compare? Any opinions would be much appreciated. I've been away from drumming for a while and haven't bought heads in years.

The SKI is a one-ply head with muffling, the EQ3 is a two ply head with a control ring. The SKs sound quite soft and dead to my ears--you may like that--while the EQ3 is a bit more open sounding and perhaps a bit louder. The Evans head that is more comparable to the SKI is the EMAD which, IMO, is a louder and punchier head.

Both are muffled heads, so if you play out unmiked, neither is ideal but will do okay. If you're playing unmiked I'd go for the EMAD, the SKI is just too soft; if miked the SKI will be fine.

As I slowly became dissapointed with the sound of my Powersonic head, I am seriously considering trying an aquarian head, whats the loudest, most open Aquarian head for bass?

They don't make a loud, open head. They're all muffled to some degree and muffling = softer. That's why they call it muffling.

If you really want loud, stick with a Remo PS3 or Evans EQ4, both are single-ply with a control ring. The control ring takes out the "boing" but leaves a lively open sound. If you play out unmiked these heads are ideal. Tune them a bit higher than you would for a miked bass drum--you want some boooooom for unmiked.

To answer briefly to your question, go get an Aquarian Full Force.

To answer briefly to your question, go get an Aquarian Full Force.

Ah, thanks for that, mind_drummer, I had forgotten all about that head from Aquarian. That would definitely be on the louder side.

The SKI is a one-ply head with muffling, the EQ3 is a two ply head with a control ring. The SKs sound quite soft and dead to my ears--you may like that--.

I think soft is the operative word or aquarian.

The SKI is a one-ply head with muffling, the EQ3 is a two ply head with a control ring. The SKs sound quite soft and dead to my ears--you may like that--while the EQ3 is a bit more open sounding and perhaps a bit louder. The Evans head that is more comparable to the SKI is the EMAD which, IMO, is a louder and punchier head.

Both are muffled heads, so if you play out unmiked, neither is ideal but will do okay. If you're playing unmiked I'd go for the EMAD, the SKI is just too soft; if miked the SKI will be fine.

Hmm. Not really planning on miking, just playing for fun but I want to control the ring and get a nice dry thump.

I think soft is the operative word or aquarian.

Is that for all Aquarian heads, or specifically bass heads?

Also, anyone use the Remo Powerstroke head?

Is that for all Aquarian heads, or specifically bass heads?

Also, anyone use the Remo Powerstroke head?

Aquarians have a different collar that extends away from the rim. They are generally warmer and softer sounding than other brands...all heads.

PS/3 is a great kick head. It really is an industry standard. My new kit came equipped with EMAD but for my purposes, PS/3 works just as well.

Aquarians have a different collar that extends away from the rim. They are generally warmer and softer sounding than other brands...all heads.

PS/3 is a great kick head. It really is an industry standard. My new kit came equipped with EMAD but for my purposes, PS/3 works just as well.

Cool, thanks.

Just curious, when you say softer - are you talking lower volume, or less definition?

Cool, thanks.

Just curious, when you say softer - are you talking lower volume, or less definition?

Mostly less definition. The last experiance I had was a couple months ago. I swapped out an SKI aquarian on a premier cabria kit and replaced it with an EMAD I. The EMAD had the same depth, but significantly better focus and attack.

It was like soft/diffuse and deep vs sharp/focused and deep.

Much like the difference between a felt and a plastic beater.

I've tried all three, and, while they're all going to help muffle the bass drum, my favorite is the Remo Powersonic. For me, it seemed to give me the best balance between muffling the ring and preserving some of the overtones.

Attachments

• Powersonic.jpg
    Powersonic.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 3,013
So, what's the main difference between that Powersonic and the Powerstroke heads?

Thanks for answering all these questions, everybody. Trying to catch up on what I've missed and I greatly appreciate it!

I'll give Aquarian another vote. I have been using the Super Kick heads for years now. I prefer the SK 1 over the SK 2 . The SK 2 is double ply and to me has a very heavy feel to it. The SK 1 is a single ply head and has more volume, better feel as far I am concerned.

I'll give Aquarian another vote. I have been using the Super Kick heads for years now. I prefer the SK 1 over the SK 2 . The SK 2 is double ply and to me has a very heavy feel to it. The SK 1 is a single ply head and has more volume, better feel as far I am concerned.

Yeah, I like the ski better than II. I really don't like or use any 2-ply kick drum heads.

Yeah, I like the ski better than II. I really don't like or use any 2-ply kick drum heads.

To me, the SK 2 feels like you really have to lay into it more so than a single ply. It's not so bad on my 26 but I definitly don't like it on my 22.

To me, the SK 2 feels like you really have to lay into it more so than a single ply. It's not so bad on my 26 but I definitly don't like it on my 22.

The 22 has so much less surface area. A 2 ply on a 22" is really damped. A 2-ply on the smaller head is almost like making the 26" a 3-ply for the same effect.

I have yet to find a depth that I can't get from a 1 ply, and they are punchier, more responsive and louder.

It sounds like any of the three (Aquarian SK, EMAD, or PS3) will give me a good sound and be a huge upgrade over the old stock heads. I'm trying to control the sound and keep from spreading all over the house as much as possible.

I keep going back and forth between them, so who knows what I'll end up with. Although the Aquarian's are mighty attractive at $52.52 for both in a pack.

I used all 3 at one time or another. I had the SK2 on a set of Pearl masters MMX 4ply maple with nothing inside the drum and the drum was a cannon, however the SK2 on my Yamaha Oaks or Yamaha Absolute maple and the SK2 sounds very dull, no life and a lack of punch. I now use the Evans EMAD single ply and it sounds great, nice bottom end and good punch to it. The Remo PS3 is a good head too, for my kits it sounded a bit brighter but lacked in depth. I tune the batter head about .25 above wrinkle and the reso maybe a bit tighter. I also use the Evans pillow inside the drum just touching the batter head,

You need to experiment a bit.

Back