DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:47 AM
Silver Member

Default Your weirdist gig?

Weird gig.. we've probably all had one.. somehow this came up talking to the soundman on my last gig and it brought back some memories. For example;

I was playing a yacht club - and we were supposed to play outside on a patio for a beach party. At loadin time the weather suddenly changed and it looked like a wicked storm was rolling in.. so the call was made that the party would have to move inside.. so we setup upstairs in the ballroom. Dinner is served and finished.. and we are ready to play. As soon as we start the storm stops, the sun comes out and the entire room empties outside..
So now we're playing to empty room.. and then I realize there's a wall of windows behind me.. so someone suggests we turn the drums, amps and PA around and point out the open windows so the people down on the beach can hear us..
...and that's the way the whole gig went.. facing a bunch of screen windows and playing to no one we could see, from the 2nd floor of a building!

I have many wilder stories.. but that one sticks in my mind for some reason. Any other good weird gig stories out there?
Old 09-21-2018, 03:57 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Your weirdist gig?

I once used vibe mallets to improvise on a large sheet-metal sculpture, along with 3 or 4 other percussionists. It was weird and a little lame. LOL
Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

The embalmers and funeral directors gig this year is gonna take some beating. Pulled up to the venue and there was all these hearses parked up, even a motorcycle hearse which was quite cool.

They had a raffle where one of the prizes was a reconstruction course........yummy! Once all the formal stuff was done it was a normal night.

Did a boy scout festival a few years back to about 2000 boy scouts, felt like babysitting. After us they had this Lady Gaga tribute who decided to go out wearing something the size of 3 teabags infront of a load of young boys
Old 09-21-2018, 11:30 AM

We once played a Masonic dinner. We knew we had to play quietly during their dinner, but we were told we were still too loud. In the end I changed down to 7a's, which were barely touching the snare, but it was still too loud. To top it all the master of the lodge had a full-blown fist fight in front of us with another fella while screaming blasphemous, foul-mouthed insults at each other. And we had to load everything back up in a thunderstorm. And I got lost on the way home. It was awful from beginning to end.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxman View Post
Weird gig.. we've probably all had one.. somehow this came up talking to the soundman on my last gig and it brought back some memories. For example;

I was playing a yacht club - and we were supposed to play outside on a patio for a beach party. At loadin time the weather suddenly changed and it looked like a wicked storm was rolling in.. so the call was made that the party would have to move inside.. so we setup upstairs in the ballroom. Dinner is served and finished.. and we are ready to play. As soon as we start the storm stops, the sun comes out and the entire room empties outside..
So now we're playing to empty room.. and then I realize there's a wall of windows behind me.. so someone suggests we turn the drums, amps and PA around and point out the open windows so the people down on the beach can hear us..
...and that's the way the whole gig went.. facing a bunch of screen windows and playing to no one we could see, from the 2nd floor of a building!

I have many wilder stories.. but that one sticks in my mind for some reason. Any other good weird gig stories out there?
You were free of the hazard of bottles being tossed your way as in the Blues Brothers.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:14 PM

Wal-Mart grand opening. We set up and played in the Ladies' Intimate Apparel section. Not weird, but a few years later, we played the same store for their grand re-opening. It was probably the hottest day of the year and we played out in the parking lot. My black wrap bubbled and my sneakers left imprints in the asphalt parking lot.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

Me and the band were playing a gig and at the end of the night we got paid. Wow that was strange.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

1. Someone's driveway
2. Another house's garage
3. I once played in an auditorium, but the inside was made of brick with no sound-aborbing panels. It was like playing in a raquet-ball court. Sounded awful. I think that it was at Campbell University in NC. I can't remember.
4. Once played at a family reunion. Magic Johnson's sister attended.
5. I've been an opening act for cloggers, accordian players, interpretive dance teams, and southern gospel groups. Keep in mind I was in a rock band when I did these.
6. I once played for a Goody's grand opening. Weird.
7. I played at a Mennonite camp. Very cool.
8. Our rhythm guitar player was almost mugged after a show in Rock Hill, SC.
9. Played at a very scary Pentacostal church somewhere in VA.
10. Played in an old school that a church had bought and converted into Sunday School rooms and a huge youth center.
11. Played at a "coffee shop" that was really a barber shop by day. We were told that if some people came in dressed in black robes and acted like they were cursing the place, not to worry; the bouncers would take them out.
12. Local prison.
13. Set up outside at a Christmas tree farm and play music while people picked out their Christmas trees. It actually was pretty fun.

I'm sure there are more.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:27 PM

Played a women’s bowling league awards dinner. Lots of beer in the audience...when our power cut out(some bad cables) I was told by the band leader to “quick, play wipe out! The audience is about throw bottles!” Ten minutes of wipe out!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

Oh, been a few.
Played in a few swimming pools
Various squats all over the world
A bar that held 10 people
A mental asylum
peoples living rooms
Old 09-21-2018, 04:00 PM

The one that stands out for me was when we played a strip club. Melodic death metal doesn't go with stripping, those women didn't know what to do with the music is trucking along at 200-220bpm. There was also two crowds in the place, one for the women on their little stage, and one for the band's on the main stage. The view wasn't bad.

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 09-21-2018, 04:07 PM

Not "weird" but kind of odd...I guess...

Got asked last minute to fill in for the drummer at a wedding reception on a Sunday afternoon. It was held in a park, at a small gazebo...us, the crowd of six, and the two folding tables of mints and peanuts all on the gazebo and us playing Molly Hatchet and Skynyrd covers. Found out the wedded couple met a week before at a bar. A week later, one of the guys in the "band" told me the couple had filed for annulment.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

Played a show at a college once. Singer set it up, I remember this huge stage and like no one in the audience. To this day I still dont understand what we were doing there or why it was booked or even what the event was. Was probably my weirdest gig. Not very exciting
Old 09-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
Played a show at a college once. Singer set it up, I remember this huge stage and like no one in the audience. To this day I still dont understand what we were doing there or why it was booked or even what the event was. Was probably my weirdest gig. Not very exciting
I did one of these. Turned out to be a weird, weird night.
  • Got booked to headline at a college auditorium (1600+ seats).
  • Got there early to set up and sound check.
  • Lead singer never shows.
  • Turns out, the lead singer moved an hour away (as in, moved into a new house). Didn't tell anyone.
  • It starts to snow.
  • Lead singer refuses to show up. My then-pregnant wife tells him she will come pick him up.
  • Lead singer still refuses to show up.
  • More snow.
  • Lead singer QUITS over the phone.
  • We walk out on stage to try to get through our set.
  • We decide to play 3 songs and leave.

Number of people that ventured out to see our band?

What a terrible night.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 PM

I played a wedding on a penisula with a small one lane road for access. They had buses bring the guests in from where they had parked. At the end of the gig, as we were packing and the guest were leaving, suddenly word got out that one of the buses had run over a 5 or 6 yr old girl. Police and EMS were called. EMS spent 2 hours inspecting the girl, never taking her to the hospital. The reality was the girl was fine, and it was just a close call. That didn't stop the police and EMS from turning it into a crime scene. The driver of the bus, an 18 yr old kid was hauled off for drug testing. The parents that allowed the kid to be running around in the crowded loading area of the buses were in no way held accountable. We sat there for hours waiting while the ems and cops made a big deal out of what was basically nothing.And I pulled into my house around 3 am after all was said and done.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:15 PM

Got hired to play a singles dance. We were a loud rock band. The guy that hired us loved us, but everyone else? not so much. Got fired after the first set. While we were loading out, one of the single ladies decided she was taking me home...uh, NOT!

Was hired to play an apartment clubhouse party. As we're about to crank up, a thunderstorm knocks out the power. We waited for about 2 hours and still no power. All the audience went elsewhere. We were paid in leftover pizza.

Like someone else above, played a back country Pentecostal church. Started playing and the congregation starts dancing, speaking in tongues, shouting, etc. Scared me to death at first, then realized they were really enjoying us. Turned out to be a fun night.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:04 AM
Silver Member

Death metal strippers and playing in a swimming pool - and the rest are all awesome.. something to remember!

Last edited by moxman; 09-24-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:40 PM

Played an outdoor gig in Provo Canyon (Utah) for a couple of apartment complexes full of BYU students. We were a classic rock band that leaned toward the harder stuff and they were requesting Bread and Chicago songs. Most of them hadn't ever heard Jimi Hendrix or Cream before. It went pretty good until the cops shut us down for excessive noise.
Ludwig | Meinl | Atlas | DW
Old 09-25-2018, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

One time I played a show at a biker bar with a legit bike-club-owner and we played first, not knowing who would go on after us.

After us was a fairly wild burlesque show; followed by an Johnny Cash impersonation act where the guy went like, ALL out with his getup, accent, guitar, etc. The band was fairly edgy art-rock and it was odd to be placed in that line-up, but the bikers seemed to dig it.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:04 AM
Gold Member

Played a gig for the city once. (well actually twice) The guy said he heard us and wanted us to play. As were setting up in this big multi-purpose room at the local park, a work crew comes in with a big load of folding tables and chairs. Didn't think much about until they were setting them up right in front us us. Like a barricade. Hell, it was a barricade. The organizer told us to start playing and they opened the doors in the back and We were charged at by about 200, shall we say, developmentally. challenged persons of between 20 and 50 years of age. Turns out that this was a monthly get together for them. They were having a great time and so were we. The barricade was because they had problems in the past with some of the revelers would go on the stage area. We were swarmed on breaks and we all felt like rock stars. I think that the female lead singer got four marriage proposals.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtliquid View Post
Wal-Mart grand opening. We set up and played in the Ladies' Intimate Apparel section. Not weird, but a few years later, we played the same store for their grand re-opening. It was probably the hottest day of the year and we played out in the parking lot. My black wrap bubbled and my sneakers left imprints in the asphalt parking lot.
My college jazz big band instructor got us gigs in Walmart. It was kinda weird. Like shouldn't we be playing Muzak.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Earlier this year, we were asked to play a gig at a place out in a rural part of Michigan that I thought just sold gardening supplies. They were having a barbecue for their customers that included a raffle.

It wasn't until I started noticing the stuff they were raffling off, including a "tray" with a picture of Snoop Dogg on it, that I started to realize this was one of those "grow shops." The whole building being painted green should have been my clue, but I was focusing on loading in and getting ready for the gig.

We did pepper our set list with tunes like I Fought The Law just to have fun with the whole thing.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:02 AM
"Uncle Larry"

In the 80's, I played a biker party put on by The Breed in the Jersey Pines. Wow. They were very organized. As soon as we got there, they handed us a bunch of crystal. One of the bikers yelled to a prospect, here roll this ounce of stuff up. We had an M-80 thrown on stage while we are playing. They beat the living crap out of that guy. It was a little unnerving at times.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
In the 80's, I played a biker party put on by The Breed in the Jersey Pines. Wow. They were very organized. As soon as we got there, they handed us a bunch of crystal. One of the bikers yelled to a prospect, here roll this ounce of stuff up. We had an M-80 thrown on stage while we are playing. They beat the living crap out of that guy. It was a little unnerving at times.
Some dumbass who wasn't involved with the club threw an m-80 on stage? What did he expect from them? High fives?
Old 09-25-2018, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

I've admitted it before: I've played for HS show choirs for 30 years. It's kinda' like how people take little league baseball TOO seriously, you know? Musically it's very strange because you never really settle into any groove because there's no time - they're only on stage for 12 minutes. So in a musical sense, you don't employ a lot of what you train for. My dynamics get all screwed up - when the kids are singing, I drop down to a whisper, when they're dancing, I've had to crank up to 25 (if you use the usual 1-10 scale).

Now when I look back on it, it was the biggest racket I've ever been a part of. You don't really prepare the kids for college music, it's just about that activity. Sickening, in a way.

But a very weird gig.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:42 AM
Gold Member

Weird and depressing.
Played a concert at a retirement home.
Nothing like a 47 piece brass band playing Stars and Stripes to old people in wheel chairs stoned on Thorazine.

Maybe Keith Moon and John Bonahm had this hope I die before i get old thing down pat.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Weird and depressing.
Played a concert at a retirement home.
Nothing like a 47 piece brass band playing Stars and Stripes to old people in wheel chairs stoned on Thorazine.

Maybe Keith Moon and John Bonahm had this hope I die before i get old thing down pat.
Maybe the one good thing I did with those show choirs was play a concert for a terminally ill hospital. We get there, and they roll in these poor kids and adults in beds and wheelchairs and after the show, we're all crying. It was that day I declared that "I have NO problems".

So I have a different view of performing for places like this.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:11 AM
Silver Member

I'd forgotten about this one.. a city-wide foodbank drive where all the donated food was trucked into this huge warehouse that had a maze like layout of conveyor belts. Hundreds of volunteers were sorting the contents of the incoming bags.. and I guess the organizers thought "we should hire a band!". So we were on an elevated stage above the conveyer belts playing to a bunch of people sorting cans... weird!
Old 09-25-2018, 03:04 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Some dumbass who wasn't involved with the club threw an m-80 on stage? What did he expect from them? High fives?
Sorry, it was outdoors in a big secluded field with us and a few hundred bikers. It was night time when the M-80 went off. It was pretty close to the singer, they must have missed lol.

Actually we were lucky no band members got hurt. The guy who launched it got what was coming to him.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

This doesn't qualify as a weird gig-just a weird gig. I was visiting one of my older bros this weekend in South Georgia-we both grew up there and he moved back in my parents old home (they are both deceased) after a divorce. We were driving around and there is this huge antebellum mansion that use to be the Woman's Club-my Mom was a member. I told my brother that is probably the only building in the county I've never set foot in. He laughed and said "Sure you have our first gig was at the Women's club". Now I was 8 years old and remember some of the gigs but not this one at all. I even asked about some I remembered to see if we shared the memory accurately-which thankfully we did. Weird I'd have no memory at all of this one (because it was the first gig and a big deal he remembered). But then again-what if my memory is accurate and my brother is confusing bands (he was in lots of bands-this was the first one when he was 13). It could be the first gig of another band. I don't know memory is notoriously good and bad.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Gold Member

Turned up to do a charity evening of punk a few weeks back in Nottingham.

Turns out it's at a 'Vegan Kitchen' at a place called the Sumac Centre.

We know the organiser well, but didn't know the venue at all.

They dished out food pre-gig, but then handed out bowls of water for everyone to do their own washing up.

The gig was great, but it was like (in fact it literally was) playing in a living room even down to there being book shelves on the walls (with books on).

WE CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK !!

It was great. Totally weird. But good weird.

And all for homeless children. We enjoy charity gigs. Feels like we are paying it back a little.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
Turned up to do a charity evening of punk a few weeks back in Nottingham.

Turns out it's at a 'Vegan Kitchen' at a place called the Sumac Centre.

We know the organiser well, but didn't know the venue at all.

They dished out food pre-gig, but then handed out bowls of water for everyone to do their own washing up.

The gig was great, but it was like (in fact it literally was) playing in a living room even down to there being book shelves on the walls (with books on).

WE CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK !!

It was great. Totally weird. But good weird.

And all for homeless children. We enjoy charity gigs. Feels like we are paying it back a little.
I've been mostly vegetarian for more than 10 years, but only in the last two weeks did I try any actual vegan cooking with purpose. There's a vegan soul food place down the road from work and I came away with the same feeling... Like, man, that was weird with a capital W, but not at all unpleasant. They were re-creating meat dishes in the southern soul food category but obviously without any animal products. None of them tasted like that re-created food, but it was all good in it's own sort of way with different flavor combos than you're used to associating with certain foods.

Kind of made me wonder why they need to "re-create" meat dishes to be honest. Why not just call it something new like it is?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:17 PM

My band opened for G.G. Allin in New Orleans on Halloween of '90.

Still don't think I've ever seen a bigger freak show.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Maybe the one good thing I did with those show choirs was play a concert for a terminally ill hospital. We get there, and they roll in these poor kids and adults in beds and wheelchairs and after the show, we're all crying. It was that day I declared that "I have NO problems".

So I have a different view of performing for places like this.
Being that my day job is IT,I was doing a contract job for Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.
I remember walking through the cancer ward and seeing 6 and 7 year olds with IV's on wheels.
You take that attitude of my problems are no where near as bad this.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMBOLIC DEATH View Post
The one that stands out for me was when we played a strip club. Melodic death metal doesn't go with stripping, those women didn't know what to do with the music is trucking along at 200-220bpm. There was also two crowds in the place, one for the women on their little stage, and one for the band's on the main stage. The view wasn't bad.
I played what was supposed to be a typical local original band night at a club near my hometown that turned wild. Mid set these lovely ladies (strippers), who were off duty, having some fun, decided to join us on stage and help us entertain the crowd.

My mom and my aunt were in the audience.

It was a memorable night.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrudd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsits View Post
Played a gig for the city once. (well actually twice) The guy said he heard us and wanted us to play. As were setting up in this big multi-purpose room at the local park, a work crew comes in with a big load of folding tables and chairs. Didn't think much about until they were setting them up right in front us us. Like a barricade. Hell, it was a barricade. The organizer told us to start playing and they opened the doors in the back and We were charged at by about 200, shall we say, developmentally. challenged persons of between 20 and 50 years of age. Turns out that this was a monthly get together for them. They were having a great time and so were we. The barricade was because they had problems in the past with some of the revelers would go on the stage area. We were swarmed on breaks and we all felt like rock stars. I think that the female lead singer got four marriage proposals.
Winners!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Oh wow. I can't even imagine...
Old 09-26-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:

GG+Halloween+New Orleans. Sounds horrifying.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:21 PM

Because of my musical background I have played some weird gigs and venues. A few that come to mind...

1. A Gilligan's Island-themed wedding. It was a second wedding for both bride and groom who were middle-aged, so it was less of the usual trappings, just more drinking. People were dressed as the characters. Awesome.

2. Some corporate event for a theme park where halfway thru our set, people dressed as 'Peanuts' characters suddenly appeared from the wings, dancing in slow-mo in proportionally-sized costumes, including giant 4-foot diameter heads. We wondered if we'd been dosed. It was so bizarre.

3. I've done a few marathons. The concept is weird but great: you set up in one spot and because the audience is constantly on the go, you can just play one song over and over again. And the exhausted runners love it.

4. Jouvert morning. Look it up.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:27 PM

holy hell you guys have had some weird gigs. im about to embark on my first tour so maybe i'll come back with something good to share in a few weeks!