drum (over)wraps?

bigbadbill

Hey guys,

So I have a really nice gold sparkle Ludwig snare drum, and a plain black Yamaha set. I want to make my 16 x 24 bass drum and my 10 x 12, 10 x 13, and 16 x 16 toms look like the snare drum, but I don't know how hard it will be. The problem is, I also don't want to spend more than around $100. As far as I can tell, there is a new cheap kind that goes over the old stuff, and is supposedly easy to use...

My question is this, has anybody tried it? Will it actually work, or will it be really crappy?

Here's an example from eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wrap-your-Drum-...ents_Drums_Percussions_MJ?hash=item33550aaeef

Thanks!

Last edited:
To be quite honest if it were me I'd be a little leary of it. Just sounds easy to screw up as it's a film that is applied and I'm sure if you aren't careful you'll get air bubbles all over the place. and since it's got an adhesive on it once it's on you'll have to take the wraps off if you don't like it and that's even more work. Black is a timeless classic look and I'd hate to see you possibly ruin some nice yamaha shells.

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't use that stuff. It's cheap crap, and will not hold up to any wear.

If you want something that doesn't look like crap (in real life in your hands), and want something easy to use, get Sparkle Brite.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/sparkle-brite-glitter-film/

I did one of my kit's in Silver Sparkle, and Fusion (on Dworld) did a kit in the Red Sparkle.
It's actual glitter under the clear or color layer.

I have a piece of the Red sparkle and it's VERY close to Red Sparkle wrap used by all the companies.

It's very sparkly too.

The Gold Sparkle is more towards a Champagne color, but it's really nice.
It's not like the normal "Gold Sparkle" wrap.

If you use the link, you can see closer what the colors are.

I just don't want to see someone waste their money if it's avoidable.

MY Silver Sparkle kit turned out like this (it looks even better in person and under lights):

P6080092.jpg

P4190030.jpg

Good luck.

Back