Good ear plugs(or other sound attenuation methods) for liver performance...?

rpt50

My son's band seems to be playing more and more larger venues/outdoor shows where the sound levels are getting pretty extreme, and he is experiencing discomfort and ear ringing. Anybody got a good recommendation for practical on-stage hearing protection?

I use "Hearos" that I bought at Guitar Center for around $13.00. They reduce the volume but don't kill the sound quality nearly as much as foam inserts tend to.

Attachments

• 2870.size-550-file-2870-jpg.jpg
    2870.size-550-file-2870-jpg.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 357
My son's band seems to be playing more and more larger venues/outdoor shows where the sound levels are getting pretty extreme, and he is experiencing discomfort and ear ringing. Anybody got a good recommendation for practical on-stage hearing protection?

Anything is better than nothing at that point!

I have permanent ringing and now take many precautions every time I pick up sticks (unless using a rubber practice pad). I've known lots of people who refuse to use ear protection because they think it diminishes the quality of the sound. I've likened this to a painter staring at the sun...it's just stupid.

Having said that, there are better sounding protections out there and they're certainly not all created equal. I've found over the ear headphones will cut down the highs very well but mids can get kind of boomy in the ear. Foamy ear plugs seem to better at lowering all frequencies equally, although they can let in a fair amount of bass still. I've recently taken to using foam ear plugs (they're very cheap and can be bought in bulk) and then putting over the ear headphones on top of that. I think it sounds amazingly well! The only downside is if I want to play along to anything, I have to crank the volume in the headphones and am most likely destroying the drivers in so doing.

I've never personally used customized in-ear monitors, but from what I've read, they're the best thing available. It seems those with the budget, i.e. professional musicians, go for those. I've been tempted to pursue them myself.

Bottom line though, anything is better than nothing! I was young and dumb about it and am paying for it.

Last edited:
The Hearos aforementioned, and most other earplugs that look like them, do a very good job for their price. I personally use Earasers which are more expensive (around $40) but sound very accurate with less flavor to the sound than the cheaper kinds. All of them will probably work fine as long as they're inserted properly!

http://www.earasers.net/ and don't look back. They are 90% of my custom molded Sensaphonics plugs and way better than the Westone ones I had. $40 over the counter at Guitar Center. Complete no brainer. The Hearoos were one of the few low cost plugs that let some highs in, but the Earasers are really close to neutral sounding. And much less obtrusive. Nobody's going to ask you to hail the Klingons with them in.

Elacin ER 15 are fantastic, these are molded in the shape of your ear which makes them VERY comfortable. I have used these for more than 10 years giging with pretty loud bands. Other than my sticks the only bit of kit I cannot do without.

Protect your hearing above all else.

I use "Hearos" that I bought at Guitar Center for around $13.00. They reduce the volume but don't kill the sound quality nearly as much as foam inserts tend to.

FYI, those are Hearos "High Fidelity Series". Just a word of caution to anybody who might be ordering them online without seeing them, Hearos does in fact make a more basic foam plug.

Attachments

• Hearos-ultimate-softness-series-foam-earplugs-reviews.jpg
    Hearos-ultimate-softness-series-foam-earplugs-reviews.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 130
Back