damn it, my hi hat stand is skrewed

mrbling

Silver Member
well yesterday i had a gig. tearing down was trying to put my hi hat legs in which are really stiff then the part that connects the footboard fell off. i thought nothing of it since it went straight back in.

set up again today hi hats are too heavy and the footplate is basically on the floor as shown in pics. im guessing the spring is gone which wasnt helped by using playing around with 20" hi hats yesterday.

anyway to fix it before ive got the money to buy a new one.

Attachments

• P1923[01]_03-05-10.jpg
    P1923[01]_03-05-10.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 3,123
  • P1923_03-05-10.jpg
    P1923_03-05-10.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,804
  • P1924[01]_03-05-10.jpg
    P1924[01]_03-05-10.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2,756
  • P1924_03-05-10.jpg
    P1924_03-05-10.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,775
Is there any movement at all when you press the pedal? Maybe the rod simply came unscrewed? Hopefully it's something that simple. It's kinda tough to tell what's going on from pics ...

BTW...20" hats?! Dang....

yr lol the hats were my old B8 ride and my 2oo2 crash which is fairly light.

there is movement just not alot due to it being unable to cope with hat weight and how low the pedal is now.

My TAMA entry level hi-hat stand has done the same thing and I did not even bother repairing, I went with a high-end stand instead ie.: TAMA IC lever glide HH905.

thats the eventual plan but if you read the first post i have no money, ideally id like to get a dw 9000 to match my pedals but again no money.

I really don't believe that DW's R & D department every speculated anyone using ride cymbals for hats, lol. Is there a way to take it apart and find out what's happening inside there? Keep us informed if you would.

Dennis

its not a dw lol. its a pearl and cant be taken apart.

it was fine when i used my normal 14" x celerators later that night but...i think when it fell spart it got ruined

I know you have a budget issue, but i would just try and get the money from anywhere to buy a new dw9000 hi-hat stand, maybe just tell your parents it's completely f*****d or something??

George.

its not a dw lol. its a pearl and cant be taken apart.

it was fine when i used my normal 14" x celerators later that night but...i think when it fell spart it got ruined

There is a way to take it apart; you just have to find it.

It's possible something inside that braces the spring could have come loose or broken. The spring itself could be broken. If you need a new spring, take it to a hardware store and I'm sure you can find a replacement there.

Did the heavy stirrup shaped base part come loose from the main tube?
That has happened to my pearl stand.
To fix it, it was just a matter of tightening an Allen key set screw to hold the stirrup to the tube.
Please post more pics, I can't tell what has happened from the ones posted.

its a pearl and can't be taken apart.

Unless it was poured in a mold, it can be taken apart. There's either set screws (PEARL uses them a lot) and/or the tube is set in the bottom frame with a medium adhesive. In any case its pretty easy to get apart, the hardest part is screwing the bottom pull rod back into the nut above the chain on assembly.

im guessing the spring is gone which wasnt helped by using playing around with 20" hi hats yesterday.
-- Gone as in broken, or went somewhere?

Its going to be neither, no way you broke spring steel... its still in the tube.

On cheaper models, the spring is exposed like in the pic I posted (from TAMA pts), more expensive HH's have the spring in a holder/tube, but what holds in place on the rod is the same.

See the arrow I drew? Its pointing to a crimp in the steel of the lower pull rod. The spring goes onto the rod from the bottom, the spring has a cap that hits the crimp so it can't go any further, an encased spring is held on the same way.

Its usually 'very' hard to impossible to get the spring/cap to jump over that crimp, though it might be a weak (small ) crimp, or you jacked on it enough to pull it through a little bit.

It looks too like your bottom tube is jacked (my Pic 2), would need to see more pic angles to be sure, though you'd be able to easily tell cause you'd be able to feel the bottom tube loose.

Last edited:
Back