Istanbul Agop Picture-Fest

Yea both mine are very thin
21" Signature 1856g
20"SE 1581g
But they are both amazing. The sig has a fairly strong, stick definition over that dark, trashy wash that is the AGOP sig. I like to describe the stick definition as 'beady', as it has this small, precise, but still very present click. It's amazingly controllable, I can play from a whisper to crashing it and it follows. It doesn't ring for ages either, perfectly controllable.
Whats your lightest sig? Do you only have a 21" and 22", I'd love a 22"sig, big brother set-up.
But then I'm also saving for a 22", 21" Turk, and I love the sig hats. I'd love to know how your Epoch goes too. My addiction definitely has started.

Sounds like you have some killer thin samples Latin Groover. My 22" Sig is 2210g as has the qualities you describe but with a little more woody stick perhaps. Hard to say. My Turk Jazz Ride comes in at 2250g and again has a nice woody yet very complex stick sound and attack. My word of advice is try to get a pair of the heavier Sig hats if your decide to get some. They are amazing. Also they were just introduced at NAMM 08 in a 16" size. Matt Chamberlain is using them and has already recorded with them.

No Epoch yet but did test 10 samples last Monday all were very nice. I got hooked on that sweet 21" 1970g Ottoman Jazz Ride I recently mentioned and pictured. Think i'm going to go with an Epoch too down the road when I get a chance to hear them one more time and make a decision on one without any other surprise last minute Agop "distractions" to sway me away from getting one. No rush on it i'm well supplied :} and yes the "Turkish addiction" continues LOL!

Here is my 20" SE at 1581g Yet again the lighting does alot.

SE1-36.jpg
SE2-51.jpg

SE3-56.jpg

SE4-55.jpg

Something special too with the SE Jazz Rides. Combination of woody stick and the "air" they have is a striking sound to my ear. Must be quite the sound indeed at1581g for a 20 incher both in stick wash/crash. My SE is 21" and comes in at a beefy 2325g. Has some striking similarities in some ways to a couple of Elvin's recorded 20 " Med. weight old Turkish K's in regards to depth of tone and almost a metalic woody stick click but NOT pingy. Amazing full deep responsive crash too.

Your hooked now Latin Groover there's no help or cure at this point :}

Latin Groover: Those two new Agop pies are simply delicious!!! That is so great...I still plan to get myself a 22" SE or Signature. They sound amazing although I havn`t tried one live yet.
Anyway those are the highest on my list. =)

This Signature should sound even drier at this light weight, what do you think Latin?

PS: Now that he mentioned it...Stan, how do you lighten those pics to show this wonderful texture of the cymbals? Do you just use the sun light but no flash?

Karl

Anyone from Nsw, Aus know where to pick these babies up, prefably closer to the south west it dosent seem that many dealers in Nsw stock these... which SUCK!

Latin Groover: Those two new Agop pies are simply delicious!!! That is so great...I still plan to get myself a 22" SE or Signature. They sound amazing although I havn`t tried one live yet.
Anyway those are the highest on my list. =)

This Signature should sound even drier at this light weight, what do you think Latin?

PS: Now that he mentioned it...Stan, how do you lighten those pics to show this wonderful texture of the cymbals? Do you just use the sun light but no flash?

Karl

Hey Karl it looks like Latin Groover is working on my Agop eye candy photo technique :}. Nice pics!

I just use natural light coming in from the window at the right time of the day well placing them sitting on a upright piano Karl. What you see is what you get with the angle of them just right for the sunlight to show all their natural beauty on both sides. I would say buddy that our friend Latin Groover is well on the path of no return at this point regarding Agops :}.

Istanbul Agop Lenny White 22" Epoch Signature ride 3025g. Front and back shots:

Attachments

• Epoch {front} 3025g.jpg
    Epoch {front} 3025g.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Epoch {back} 3025g.jpg
    Epoch {back} 3025g.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:
Prolile, edge and lathing close up shots of my new Epoch:

Attachments

• side Shot 1.jpg
    side Shot 1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,012
  • side Shot 2.jpg
    side Shot 2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,013
  • side Shot 3.jpg
    side Shot 3.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,059
Last edited:
21" SE Jazz Ride with 2 recently added Agop brass split rivets:

Attachments

• 21 SE 2 rivets {bottom}.jpg
    21 SE 2 rivets {bottom}.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,267
  • 21 SE with 2 rivets.jpg
    21 SE with 2 rivets.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,545
  • 21 SE 2 rivets {top}.jpg
    21 SE 2 rivets {top}.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,264
Last edited:
Very nice pictures on here indeed. Sweet!

i have a noob question. i'm not familiar too much with Istanbul Agop cymbals....but i'm doing farther research on them...although i got a question..it seems to me that Istanbul Agop cymbal tend to be in the more jazzier side than the Alchemy cymbals...are they da same company but just different lines...for different styles??? ssorry for my ignorance..

i have a noob question. i'm not familiar too much with Istanbul Agop cymbals....but i'm doing farther research on them...although i got a question..it seems to me that Istanbul Agop cymbal tend to be in the more jazzier side than the Alchemy cymbals...are they da same company but just different lines...for different styles??? ssorry for my ignorance..

Quite correct. Both are made by the same company Istanbul Agop. The Alchemy Pro line was developed for louder heavier music but with the same high level of quality and hand labour as put into the various Istanbul Agop production lines.

Pictures of my latest Istanbul Agop beauties: 16" and 18" Agop Signature crash cymbals.

Attachments

• 16 Agop Sig crash {front}.jpg
    16 Agop Sig crash {front}.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 867
  • 16 Agop Sig crash {back}.jpg
    16 Agop Sig crash {back}.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 890
  • 18 Agop Sig crash {front}.jpg
    18 Agop Sig crash {front}.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 906
  • 18 Agop Sig crash {back}.jpg
    18 Agop Sig crash {back}.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 814
Last edited:
How do the signature crashes play Stan?

Full, quick, responsive, dry, warm and dark with a nice level of pleasing trash and lots of individual character Latin Groover and yes I love the sound of them as you might have already guessed:}

I started a thread in the cymbals section Latin Groover about them giving some more detailed info on my first impressions of them.

I posted my 20" traditional ride earlier and I'm now looking to get a pair of Agop hats and eventually a 17" crash of some sort. What can people recommend hi-hat related, considering I play non-heavy rock, funk, blues, (Kings of Leon covers haha) etc. Nothing where the cymbals are going to take a beating but not ultra light jazz hats.

Thanks guys, and tell me if this post is too irrelevant to the 'pic fest'.
Tom

I posted my 20" traditional ride earlier and I'm now looking to get a pair of Agop hats and eventually a 17" crash of some sort. What can people recommend hi-hat related, considering I play non-heavy rock, funk, blues, (Kings of Leon covers haha) etc. Nothing where the cymbals are going to take a beating but not ultra light jazz hats.

Thanks guys, and tell me if this post is too irrelevant to the 'pic fest'.

Tom

A pair of the Empire hats will do the trick nicely Tom. Very versatile and crisp pair of hats in the the med to med heavy range of weights.

Attachments

• Empire hats {front}.jpg
    Empire hats {front}.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 780
Last edited:
Back