In need of some light, durable, wooden tip rock sticks

so I go to school for jazz performance, and I only have jazz sticks right now because thats what I mainly needed. In the past month I have started gigging with a punk/alternative rock band. (I am drumming as close to Travis Barker as I can, if that helps the style) I haven't broken a stick in 5 years until this past week. I was using Elvin Jones signatures, which are clearly rock sticks....

Long story short. I need to get new sticks. I love the feel of my jazz sticks but I need something thicker, the rim shots are eating them alive. What are you guys using?

Thanks for any input

Stick of choice as of now: Vic Firth AJ3

Try Regal 5B Maple and see how you like them. Light durable and big enough to hold.

I've used the Travis Barker signature sticks before actually, and they're pretty beefy but felt surprisingly light to me, so you may want to give those a try. But be warned - the sticks are white and this does leave marks on your cymbals!

Also maple drum sticks are lighter than those made out of hickory, so you may want to go for something like a 5A or 5B in maple as that'll be a much lighter stick :)

Generally, "light" and "durable" don't go together if you play a heavier style. Maple is lighter than hickory, but not a s durable if you play a lot of on the rim stuff, rim shots, or crash your cymbals on the edge. I like SD1s, but may be too light for you. For durability you need at least hickory sticks. To get them light is to go with lighter/smaller sizes. That can create problems because you may be tempted to hit harder than necessary to get volume. That can lead to damaged equipment. A compromise is to let amplification solve your volume problem, or go with a 5A or 5B hickory, and use good stick control to play lightly, and control your volume and attack. Control the stick, but have the right stick.

I recently ran out of my power 5b's and all I had sitting around was a set of vater recording sticks, so I used those for a week... I'm not going to switch back, they're awesome and they are lasting me just as long, though I'm not a big hitter. I'm no softie either. I would suggest you're rimshotting too hard btw.

Try Regal 5B Maple and see how you like them. Light durable and big enough to hold.

If your playing punk, Maple's going to snap on you 2 bars into a song. You need hickory.
For something lighter try Regal Tip's 5AX. It's about a typical 5A thickness with a little extra length. I use the 5B version, it's a little thinner then a normal 5B.

I can't afford to buy a stash of "brand name" sticks so I buy quite a few of these and then two or three pair of Vater sticks. Soundpercussion should get extreme praise from drummers whether on a budget or not. These sticks are awesome! I use the Rock as well as I like sticks with the ball or rounded tip and they are great. They splinter a bit more than higher quality sticks but honestly if you don't rim shot all that much that last quite along time! Trust me they are great sticks!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percussion-Hickory-Drumsticks---Pair-100194652-i1165844.gc

Back