Attention Remo Coated Head Users.

I've been buying heads for 50 years! Every company will have a bad batch of heads every so often. Its nothing new and it is what it is!! Your not the first drummers to see a coating get loose much faster than normal, if you play long enough it all evens out. Doc.

Holy Shit not the "Banjo Folks"!!!! Be carefull out there!!! Doc.

I just got my Copeland snare and tuned it last night. I've already noticed stick marks on it, but haven't played it enough for anything worse (about 10 minutes worth of sticking)

It comes with the Coated Remo Ambassador. Does anyone know of a similar head by Evans? (I mean, just in case...)

Hang on, are we talking about stick marks or huge chunks of coating coming off altogether? Every head ever made will get stick marks mate. That's what happens when you hit things with a stick.

Evan G1 is comparable to an Ambassador....but you will still get stick marks on them too. No avoiding that.

If you are having issues with Remo's coating wearing off quickly contact Remo 1-800-525-5134 to have your heads replaced. Remo stand's behind their products 100%!

Remo has changed their coating to something that is environmentally friendly but it is nothing like the old coating that took a beating.

The new coating last about 20 minutes of play time on a snare head. The old coating would take weeks of months to break through.

Weeks to months??? Buy some Evans coated heads and you will be buying the best when it comes to this issue.

Hang on, are we talking about stick marks or huge chunks of coating coming off altogether? Every head ever made will get stick marks mate. That's what happens when you hit things with a stick.

Evan G1 is comparable to an Ambassador....but you will still get stick marks on them too. No avoiding that.

Naw, they're just stick marks..no chunks. I would not have even cared or noticed them had I not read this post. But I liked how the head sounded - especially on a metal snare. I was surprised it did not have the overtones I expected from a metal snare...it being single ply. It tuned up rather nicely, out of the box - even cranked a little on the tight side.

Thanks for the G1 comparable. Always good to have other options.

Last edited:
I had read about this coating issue and never experienced it on all of the remo heads I bought until last week. I replaced the floor toms with Vintage Emporers and have seen NO issues, however, I wanted to try the Vintage Ambassador on my rack tom. The coating on the head is already starting to come off and I have only played on it minimally for 2 weeks.
First Remo I have ever seen do this so fast.

This pic was taken early into my SECOND practice session with this head. It came with my new Ahead BoB snare (labeled Ahead, but also "by Remo USA"). Even tuning (VERY light taps) left stick marks which you'd be able to see if I didn't have that O-ring on there. I've already replaced it w/ a G1. The coated G2s above it (the toms) are 2-3 months old.

I compared it to a coated ambassador that I have on another snare (that head is at least a year old, and has many hours of play), and the amb is a thinner, whiter coating (much like on a G1). The newer Ahead head is a thick, coarse, light gray.

Attachments

• IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 263
I have been using Vintage Emperors for the last couple of years and never had a problem.

Back