Changing Spurs on a Bass Drum...

adam!

Hey all,
I'm sort of torn over changing the spurs on my bass drum from rock spurs to curved spurs. I'm going for the vintage look with it, and I've already added a shell mounted boom and rail consolette. But I love the curved spur look...
Only problem is the drill placement between the two styles is different (26" drum) and I'm wondering if this will be completely ugly, ridiculous, etc...
Any suggestions on the best route to go with this?
Thanks

First things first ... what make/model kick drum are you talking about?

Ah of course! I apologize haha
It's a Ludwig Classic Maple kit, Green Sparkle, Bonham sizes.
I'm afraid that with the extra holes showing from the old spurs, it may affect the sound, or at the very least look terrible. If it matters, my front head isn't ported either.

And you have the newer type, "elite" spurs. Taking the "elites" off, no big deal. I think that'll leave only small bolt holes in the shell (been awhile since I fooled with one of those).​
From a few feet away, no one's gonna even see the holes. You can always buy some shorty chrome bolts, from a hardware store, if you want a more "finished" look.​
No, the big problem, is the install of the curved spurs. That requires two small holes, for the mounting screws, and a much larger hole, for the curved spur ... because it penetrates the shell.​
Once you cut those "larger" holes, there's pretty much no going back.​
And of course ... what do I drive ... a virgin 26x16 Luddie.​

Attachments

• ludwig1.jpg
    ludwig1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 200
Okay, thanks for the info. I'll give it a go then.
Nice kit btw. Bill Bruford fan?

Back