Istanbul Agop Picture-Fest

bilkay

Since we kinda got this started in the '06 Limited Edition thread......

.....SHOW US YOUR AGOP BLING!!!............

20", 1617g Agop Special Edition Jazz ride:

SE20Top.jpg

SE20Bottom.jpg

Oookay...let`s go.

Here is my 21" Agop Mel Lewis Ride, 2134 grams light...two rivets. I simply love its sound, an awesome crash...but especially an amazing Ride cymbal with a woody stick definition and a complex, dark sound:

Bild011.jpg

Bild013-1.jpg

And my Agop Turk hats which I got after the Mel Lewis beauty. The bottom is 964 grams light, the top one 928 grams. Natural, raw, earthy...fabulous chick.

Bild008-1.jpg

Bild014.jpg

I hope I can get a nice SE 22" Ride...if yes, I`ll post some pics of course! =)

Karl

Boy i've done a complete documentation of my Agop collection so i've got much to offer here Bill.

I'll start with my 22" Turk Jazz Ride 2250g with the incorrect Sultan logo:

Attachments

• Turk.jpg
    Turk.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 7,134
  • Turk back.jpg
    Turk back.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 7,101
Last edited:
Next up the SE Jazz Rides. First one 21" SE 2325g then the 22" SE TW at 2235g:

Attachments

• 22 tw f.jpg
    22 tw f.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 6,919
  • se 1.jpg
    se 1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 6,847
Last edited:
The Limited Edition rides next. 22" 06 2385g #027,20.5" 25th Anniversary 1864g #268:

Attachments

• 25th.jpg
    25th.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 6,991
  • 06 front.jpg
    06 front.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 6,798
Last edited:
The Mel Lewis cymbals. 21" Mel Lewis ride 2 rivets 2180g,18" Mel Lewis Crash Ride 1400g:

Attachments

• mel lewis.jpg
    mel lewis.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 7,039
  • Mel Lewis front.jpg
    Mel Lewis front.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 7,303
Last edited:
Sultan 14" crash 740g and i'll finish with a group shot which includes my 14" Agop Signature hats top-1025g bottom-1200g.

That's it Bill!

Attachments

• 14 sultan.jpg
    14 sultan.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 6,675
  • Istanbul Sym.jpg
    Istanbul Sym.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 6,524
Last edited:
Forgive me, I'm young, but could someone illustrate the difference between all these different handmade Turkish cymbals? I've never played Bosphorus, Istanbul, TRX, etc. but am intrigued by the "old world" methods and hand lathing, hammering, finishing, etc.

TRX is the newcomer but their MD review last year was favorable...and their cymbals are beautiful looking as well.

Sorry to hijack, not my intention - Karl those hats are probably the most beautiful I've ever seen, I can only imagine what they sound like!

Everything is beautiful...you can see (and no doubt hear) the manual labor that was put into them.

Forgive me, I'm young, but could someone illustrate the difference between all these different handmade Turkish cymbals? I've never played Bosphorus, Istanbul, TRX, etc. but am intrigued by the "old world" methods and hand lathing, hammering, finishing, etc.

TRX is the newcomer but their MD review last year was favorable...and their cymbals are beautiful looking as well.

Sorry to hijack, not my intention - Karl those hats are probably the most beautiful I've ever seen, I can only imagine what they sound like!

Everything is beautiful...you can see (and no doubt hear) the manual labor that was put into them.

Zambizzi go to Drum Gear/ Cymbals section and find the thread "Istanbul Agop Production Video" and watch how the cymbals are made from individual castings onwards since it will give you a good feel for the hand labour/craftmanship that goes into this particular line of Turkish handmade cymbals.

Here are my Agops an a Mehmet ride. Not the best pics, but they're the only I've got.

Specs:
- 10" Alchemy Rock splash - SOLD
- 14" Alchemy Regular hi-hats
- 22" Mehmet Sultan ride - Weighs a bit more than 3000 grams

I really like Istanbuls, whether they're Agops or Mehmets.

Attachments

• mysultan2.JPG
    mysultan2.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 7,919
  • alchemy splash.JPG
    alchemy splash.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 7,937
  • alchemy hats 2.JPG
    alchemy hats 2.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 7,859
  • alchemy hats.JPG
    alchemy hats.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 7,840
Nice cymbals guys! This is a great thread for those who have Istanbul cymbals and those that may want to buy some - nice going.

This is what I picked up at Heratbeat Percussion a few weeks ago. Some of you have seen these on onother thread - but I think they have to go here!

The Turk 16" Crash Ride here was a factory error when ordered. It was suppose to be a Traditional Paperthin Crash (CPT16) but the factory wrote it up as (CRT16) which produced a very unusual (rare too I guess) 16" TURK Crash/Ride. There are only three I think - so I bought one while I was in Cymbaland (you know where that is Steamer).

Attachments

• My New Istanbul Cymbals Oct 13th, 2007 800x600.JPG
    My New Istanbul Cymbals Oct 13th, 2007 800x600.JPG
    411 KB · Views: 7,825
  • 16 inch Istanbul Turk small file.JPG
    16 inch Istanbul Turk small file.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 7,806
  • 25 ANNIVERSARY Istanbul 20.5 Ride number 257.JPG
    25 ANNIVERSARY Istanbul 20.5 Ride number 257.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 7,655
  • Istanbul 06 22 inch #  099.JPG
    Istanbul 06 22 inch # 099.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 7,630
Last edited:
What a way to join the Istanbul Agop pic party Kona,with style!. Another "field of dreams" from "Cymbaland" and yes I tried those odd ball Turk crashes and they were very nice indeed at one of my several visits to the what I fondly now call "the vault".

That's very interesting Bill a real cross mix top and bottom of a standard SE and SE TW ride but certainly a one of a kind indeed.

Nice to see everyones Agop pies so far. Thanks Bill for starting the fun and Karl,Drumms and Kona so far for joining in on the festivities.

Back