SO what annoys you? (The so is on purpose)

The U.S. consumes 75% of the world's pharmaceutical drugs, is only 4% of the world's population, but is a dismal 72nd in health according to the World health Organization. Um, something ain't right here. Commercial television gets 30% of their ad revenue from drug commercials. Go figure. "Ask your doctor how they can get you on dangerous drugs for life..."

75%? We can do better than that!

I watch my favorite shows on Netflix whenever possible. The reason? No pharma ads on Netflix AFAICT. Plus it's a way clearer picture. Pharma commercials are the friggin worst and no other commercial can match their ability to annoy me.

Pharma commercials are the friggin worst and no other commercial can match their ability to annoy me.

Really? I see your pharma commercials and raise you the commercials with the smartly dressed middle-aged woman extolling the virtues of "safe and proven" gas fracking, how the world is a much better place thanks to the petroleum industry and that it all needs to stay that way.

That, and the Mal-Wart commercials that try to position themselves between mom and apple pie.

Pharma commercials are the friggin worst and no other commercial can match their ability to annoy me.

You may get night sweats, rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, loss of vision, migraine headaches, uncontrollable diarrhea, vomiting, heart attack, stroke, and even death. But if you are okay with that we can help your knee pain.

Yeah, worst advertising campaigns ever, but apparently they still sell pills.

People who take prescription drugs without realizing that these drugs pass directly through their bodies upon elimination and end up in our fresh water.

But would you want to drink that beer knowing where it came from?

Again, using his logic, the product that comes out is exactly the same as the product that went in. It just comes out of a different tap. That being the case, I reckon I could live with that.

Look, no one BUYS beer, all you can do is rent it!

And to think, they try and tell me that renting is dead money!!

Using that logic Dog, I'd never need to pay for another beer again.

Funny, I know, but alcohol gets processed by the liver, synthetic estrogen from birth control pills does not. Estrogen levels in drinking water are higher than any time since the EPA began testing and it is not naturally occuring. It is believed to be the cause of the dramatic increase of gender defects in aqautic animals.

Estrogen levels in drinking water are higher than any time since the EPA began testing and it is not naturally occuring.

Not to worry, all the new male testosterone products will soon balance everything out.

(the above was intended to be humorous)

Come to think of it, people who are easily annoyed annoy me.

Well that was easy.

Oh, damn...

Alright, this annoys me: Whatever happened to the perfectly good and serviceable word "per"? It seems to have been systematically replaced with "a". For example, people no longer say "I get $200 per gig". Instead they say "I get $200 a gig". "A gig"? Really? Which one? The last time I saw "per" it was hiding in between M and G in the acronym for "miles per gallon". Now it's all "so much a this" and "so much a that". No! It's "so much per this or that"!

It gets me so riled up that I want to punch the next people I hear saying it. Of course, I only have so many good punches in me so I'll have to dole them out carefully: No more than one punch a person.

So, it seems this thread on the annoyance of people beginning sentences with the word "so" hasn't really done much to curb the trend. Survey says that the use of the word "so" on DW seems to be on the rise instead of the decline.

So....much for that.

Alright, this annoys me: Whatever happened to the perfectly good and serviceable word "per"? It seems to have been systematically replaced with "a". For example, people no longer say "I get $200 per gig". Instead they say "I get $200 a gig". "A gig"? Really? Which one? The last time I saw "per" it was hiding in between M and G in the acronym for "miles per gallon". Now it's all "so much a this" and "so much a that". No! It's "so much per this or that"!

It gets me so riled up that I want to punch the next people I hear saying it. Of course, I only have so many good punches in me so I'll have to dole them out carefully: No more than one punch a person.

Noo, really? I'd have thought it was ok, as the word "for" is implied. As in Mary Poppins, "Feed the birds, twopence a bag".

"Alright", OTOH, really should be two separate - I repeat, for anybody who doesn't know, "sepArate" words, otherwise we're straying into "alot" territory.

Please don't punch me, I'm only little and I wear glasses!

Back