Amazon head prices

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
I just priced out Evans Clear G2 batters from Musicians Friend, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and the price was 71.00 USD. The same heads from Amazon was 44.00. Anyone else using Amazon when your local store can't help.?

I just priced out Evans Clear G2 batters from Musicians Friend, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and the price was 71.00 USD. The same heads from Amazon was 44.00. Anyone else using Amazon when your local store can't help.?

Absolutely! You can find incredible deals at Amazon. Most times, however, you just let MF know what you find and they price match at the very least.

Anyone else using Amazon when your local store can't help.?

Great deals on Amazon and not just on heads. I've picked up a lot of my cases and drum mics at insane prices.

GC will not only match but beat Amazon's prices.

If you're close to one, get to know the sales manager, a drum dept. sales person (who is user friendly) so you can use the GC advantage of return policy.
I've saved a lot of $$ by using GC in this way and see no reason to hassle with Amazon (returning time/money) because GC has stepped up to be the most competitive. I only use Amazon for price shopping now and many times GC has their price lower than Amazon's.
Even on special orders, where GC doesn't stock and has to directly obtain from a manufacturer (like Sonor, in one case), they still discounted the price from MSRP and maintained the return policy.
If I wasn't close to a GC, I'd probably still use them if I had a good sales person contact there, since their return policy and pricing is now virtually unbeatable.

I too found a lot of deals on Amazon, especially for cases. Plus if you are a prime member, 2 days free shipping too, which adds up to be a lot of savings.

For (aquarian) heads, though, I have found the same heads at the local shop that I buy from to be just about the same cost.

When I shop anymore for new (and used), I look at Amazon first an then reverb.com. I have also found that if you call the stores (like chicago music exchange, dales, drum center, sam ash, etc) for new items (not avail with Amazon Prime) they tend to give lower costs than the internet prices. The exception to the rule is GC, though every so often they will do the same. The really hard part to beat with Amazon, though, is the 2 day free ship for prime.

For the most part, if the local store (including GC) has an item in stock I will try to buy locally unless the price is way out of line (which is rare - most match internet prices these days if they can). If they do not have it in stock, though, it is usually quicker to get it from Amazon.

I buy everything off of Amazon.

Usually if I'm at the store and find something I want, I look it up on Amazon before I buy it, and it's usually significantly cheaper. I have Amazon Prime and they have a warehouse in Arizona, so most of the time, things I order are to my door next-day. Can't beat that! :p

Was that price achieved by buying the 10, 12, 14 pre-pack, then adding the 8 and 16? I was able to come close to that with clear G1s I bought for a friend's 8, 10, 12, 14 tom setup a while back. Can't go wrong with that.

I just did that and it came to $51.65 for those same sizes. It makes sense, though, because Amazon's prices always fluctuate on a daily and sometimes hourly basis. Not as good as $44, but still WAY better than GC or MF.

Sometimes it comes down to convenience uber alles. Other times, you can't get something local. For instance, GC doesn't stock 26" bass drum heads. I try to buy from my local drum shops if they have what I am looking for. But if it comes down to needing something like a head, or drum case, and my store can order it and get it when I need it, great. But often I am looking at an unknown arrival date. And sometimes, that don't feed the bulldog, as they say.

For drums and cymbals, I make a greater effort to find those locally. But GC used has been good to me building my Paiste 2002 collection. So, no complaints there. But my last two 26" bass heads came from Amazon.

I usually buy my heads off of sweetwater. The prices beat the ones on amazon most of the time because sweetwater offers free shipping on everything.

As I have said before, I tend to stick to Remos because I can find them cheaper online. If I have to re-head the kit then I'll buy a set online. If I just need a single snare head or something then I'll just go to my local store.

Went to 3 music stores in my area a few months ago and could not find a 20" coated PS3. Silver lining, Ended up trying again to get a good sound out of my coated single ply and made it work.

I just got a new Remo Powerstroke from Amazon Prime and it was sent in no other packaging than the head box. It was slightly bent, but I got it bent back into shape and the impact patch was lost.

I'll go back to buying from the other head dispensaries online where I've had good experiences.

That's odd Wally. All the stuff I ever got was very well protected, over packed even. I rarely shop at stores anymore. The prime membership went up about 25 bucks this year. Still worth it if you get deliveries all year long. We're even to the point where we get food from the supermarket delivered. It's worth the extra charge in time and hassle. Plus just getting it all in the house is a giant hassle. I'd rather answer the doorbell and let them schlep it all in. I never go to the bank anymore, big time savings. Mobile deposit baby. I always get my heads from Amazon in the prepacks. Big fan. In fact I need some now.

It's probably because I only ordered one head that has it's own heavy box.

I'm with you Larry, I try to order and do as much as possible online and I really like Prime for most things.

I do however, feel a bit of guilt when I order drum heads from Amazon, because I don't know who is benefitting from it. Is it only Remo, or some other company that works with the fulfillment center?

If I order from a small place I appreciate, such as Drum Center of Portsmouth, I feel good about the purchase. Amazon just makes it really easy to hit that order button.

Great deals on Amazon and not just on heads. I've picked up a lot of my cases and drum mics at insane prices.

Me, too. Especially if you use Prime, it can be hard to resist. I now buy many of the most mundane things (drum-related and otherwise) on Amazon. Because of where I live, it can cost me $10-15 in gasoline to chase around town for something, vs. one click and it's on my porch in two days.

A HUGE factor with Amazon is how their prices change by the hour, maybe even by the minute. In just the last eight months, I've been "in the right place at the right time" for:

Puresound Blaster snare wires: $8
Humes & Berg Drumseeker 5x14 snare bag: $27 (regular $48)
Humes & Berg Drumseeker 30" Gear Bag: $47 (regular $69)
Humes & Berg Tuxedo 14x24 bass bag: $62 (regular $75-102, depending on source)
PS3 White No Stripe 24" bass head: $17

I've had good luck with the drumheads I've ordered. One bass head I ordered, that was shipped by another vendor (not the Amazon warehouse), arrived in merely the Remo box (as mentioned by a previous poster), but there was no damage.

Huh. Amazon does indeed have good prices. Drum Factory Direct has better, at least on the heads I like. :-D

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/

Take, for example, Evans EMAD2 in 20". Amazon price $38.99; DFD price $34.11.

I've purchased from DFD previously and was eminently satisfied. Of course, you pay for shipping, but in my experience it's still less in total than Amazon Prime with free shipping.

YMMV! :-D

Back