Warm ups

that first pic of the closed matched grip is very odd looking........and that traditional grip pic couldnt be more out of whack......not that there is any right or wrong technically......but that trad grip is way off and there is no way you could get the most that the grip has to offer holding the stick like that.......

but to each is own

and you dont speak about the fulcrum at all........and how the trad fulcrum moves from your thumb and index (or middle if you use 3rd finger fulcrum) to the webbing between thumb and index

good advice on warm ups though

How would you suggest I improve the traditional grip?
Aside from the fact that I want the blog to be informative, I also want to be more proficient and skilled in my own playing.

I believe you get the most out of your grip with the stick resting on the cuticle of your ring finger

here is how the grip being formed should look.....I have to say..."in my opinion"....because there absolutely is no right or wrong......but I have studied with some great instructors who have all informed me of ways to get the most out of your grips...

getting the most out of your trad grip should look like this

step 1...the fulcrum ...hand shake position stick in webbing of thumb....this basically is the grip and you should be able to execute almost anything from this position that you could from the complete grip...I highly recommend doing some singles and doubles from this position to feel the muscle groups involved in this fulcrum
dsc00207zb.jpg

step 2.....rest stick on the cuticle of ring finger.....of course it wont stay there.....but should return at rest......notice the angle of the stick
dsc00208lv.jpg

step 3.....connect the thumb and index finger....of course these wont stay connected but will come together at rest....again notice the stick angle.....the ring and pinkie finger position will determine the angle of the stick......
dsc00209zw.jpg

a wise man once told me that if you were playing trad grip out in the rain your palm should get wet but not hold water.....that wise man was Joe Porcaro

this process will get you the most out of your trad grip.........but again....there is no "correct way" ....only ways to get the most of your ability....

hope this helps brother.....

thats my boy James in the background :)

Last edited:
Back