Video & Audio

Im considering doing a few covers for youtube. Ive got a HD camera but the audio is aweful on it. Ive been messing around with a Rode NT1A microphone, placing it around 1ft away from the kit at around 0.6m high, just above the kick..

has anyone else tried any other mic placements that have came out sounding nice?

Your best results will happen when you record audio to something else, and just use your video camera to capture video. Then in your video editor, line the two files up by hand. That's how I do all of my videos. I have both the camera and my Zoom R16 running, and then import both files into iMovie and line the two up. Easy.

Unless you're willing to part with the money for a pro video camera that can accept XLR inputs, your audio recorded by the camera will always be substandard.

Your best results will happen when you record audio to something else, and just use your video camera to capture video. Then in your video editor, line the two files up by hand. That's how I do all of my videos. I have both the camera and my Zoom R16 running, and then import both files into iMovie and line the two up. Easy.

Unless you're willing to part with the money for a pro video camera that can accept XLR inputs, your audio recorded by the camera will always be substandard.
Ive got a Zoom R16, which ive been running the Rode through.. Was just wondering how people mic there mics up without doing it tom by tom etc.

Ive got a Zoom R16, which ive been running the Rode through.. Was just wondering how people mic there mics up without doing it tom by tom etc.

Got it. I can get a great drum sound with a simple SM58 in front of the bass drum and a pencil condenser (currently an AKG SE33B) overhead. I can do it with one mic, but it just sounds better with a separate mic for the kick.

Back