How to spot a fake Ludwig vistalite?

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
Are there any experts out there who can spot a fake vistalite from a real one? I bought one used and I can't tell. Normally I wouldn't be skeptical but it's an old drum in really good condition

I'd like to find out for sure, so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it

Only a novice, but have a mid '70's Big Beat kit. Is the seam in question? Is there a badge?

Badges can be swapped around, aren't always the best indication. Somebody here was selling an old MIJ kit, re-wrapped in Oyster Black with Ludwig badges. It was a clear fake when you saw the wood grain. On a Vista, I don't know other than lugs.
Its possible you do have an old drum in really good condition though. Some vintage drums out there seem to have never seen the light of day.

I'll post pictures here in a minute. What made me question the authenticity is that the guy who sold it online didn't know what he had. He was selling hundreds of other things so it seemed like he was just trying to get rid of his inventory to make some cash. The drum was listed as "orange plexiglass drum".... lol

Kinda sounds like he had no idea what it was, sounds like a good score. If it sounds good, enjoy the hell out of it!!

Are there any experts out there who can spot a fake vistalite from a real one? I bought one used and I can't tell.
That seems pointless. Who would do that? Are old Vistalites really that much in demand?
I agree with PPS. It would cost as much or more to "fake" a Vistalite than to just buy/sell a real one. Exception "maybe" if you're replicating one of the rare colors like green.​
I'd say, if it has Ludwig lugs, T's and claws and spurs .... chances are it's a Ludwig.​

The drum didn't come with hoops or heads or snare wires. Just lugs and the shell. The serial number dates back to the late 70s. The seam does look a little messy imo, but I'm no expert so maybe that's how Ludwig did it back then?

I just got the drum for a really good price so I'm naturally suspicious of it

What would it be faked with? Probably a real LUDWIG, especially if its old.

I was wondering the same thing.

As long as it's acrylic, and has the correct bearing edge and hardware, even if it didn't leave the Ludwig factory...how is it different from a Vistalite that did?

Genuinely interested to know. I get that timber is a vastly more variable material, but do Ludwig sprinkle special pixie dust in the acrylic that Vistalites are/were made of?

The drum didn't come with hoops or heads or snare wires. Just lugs and the shell. The serial number dates back to the late 70s. The seam does look a little messy imo, but I'm no expert so maybe that's how Ludwig did it back then?

I just got the drum for a really good price so I'm naturally suspicious of it

I would be suspicious only if the seam were too perfect. Ludwig’s quality control during the 70s was....regrettable, shall we say.

I remember someone on another forum talking about why there aren't that many "fake" drum sets out there (as opposed to fake Gibson, Martin, and Taylor guitars). The reason was it would simply cost too much to make a really good fake.

For example, let's say you are going to make a fake set of high end drums out of an old stencil kit you picked up for $100. By the time you put on a quality wrap, re-do the edges, and add all of the period-correct hardware and badges, there's not a lot of money to be made on these. Never mind the labor that would go into this as well.

If it's a fake, I'd be surprised.

What person of sound mind would counterfeit a Vistalite? I can think of many more things to counterfeit that would be much more profitable.

It's probably real, and not everyone knows what they have.

I'm still waiting for that fifty dollar wood dynasonic to turn up on CL.

I collect Vistalites and yes there's several fakes out there. One way to tell is if the pattern/color/size combo never existed. There was one person in particular years ago that saturated the market with fakes before RCI was stamping their shells and they turn up from time to time. Rare patterns and solid colors bring decent to high money. Recently there was a "Lifesavers" kit outfitted with counterfeit badges....seller couldn't explain why.

OP -- post some pictures of the badge, drum with no heads that focuses on the seam.

I collect Vistalites and yes there's several fakes out there. One way to tell is if the pattern/color/size combo never existed. There was one person in particular years ago that saturated the market with fakes before RCI was stamping their shells and they turn up from time to time. Rare patterns and solid colors bring decent to high money. Recently there was a "Lifesavers" kit outfitted with counterfeit badges....seller couldn't explain why.

OP -- post some pictures of the badge, drum with no heads that focuses on the seam.

He already said it looks a little weird. RCI isn’t selling stuff with seams that bad. LOL

He already said it looks a little weird. RCI isn’t selling stuff with seams that bad. LOL

No they aren't but that's not proof of authenticity. You might be aware that other companies have been making seamed acrylic shells for decades and an amateur repair could look bad. The OP posted a request for expert assistance with no pictures so its whatever at this juncture.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82072&stc=1&d=1524675364

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82073&stc=1&d=1524675364

Sorry it took so long to upload the pictures, my bad guys! If y'all need any more pictures just let me know? Like I said the drum was bought used online and didn't include hoops or heads. Also some of the lug casings were stripped so I had them replaced, along with the screws holding the lugs to the shell. And ignore the nuts I have screwed onto the t rods, I'm using those as makeshift lug locks. The hardware is definitely seems like real Ludwig stuff though and the badge serial number says 1356780

I hope this is a genuine Ludwig, but if it isn't it still sounds good so I won't be too upset about it

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 430
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 427
Whatever it is, it looks sweet!!! It looks like there's more hoop than drum, lol.

Back