Rookie mistake - help please!

M

Mike_In_KC

This is embarrassing but hopefully not a full fledged debacle...

I am in the process of replacing the stock heads on my toms that came with my Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. I took the old heads off of the toms and realized when done that I did not know which tension rods were on the resonant side and which were on the batter - same goes with the rims. PLEASE tell me that all tension rods and rims are the same and I did not completely screw the pooch here...

MM

The hoops are the same top and bottom on the toms. Tension rods are the same top and bottom also.
The hoop for the snare bottom is different of course to allow for the snare wires.

Just make sure their all right handed,and not upside down.The next time you change your heads,it'll go quicker if you use a bucket of steam,before hand.:)

Steve B

Just make sure their all right handed,and not upside down.The next time you change your heads,it'll go quicker if you use a bucket of steam,before hand.:)

Steve B

And make sure your right stick goes into your right hand!
Now now then you naughty guys. Mike may have a Guru Origin kit, in which case the tension rods on the floor tom reso side are a different length to the batter side ;) ;) ;)

And make sure your right stick goes into your right hand!

There was this one time when I was practicing single handed free strokes while watching T v or something. After a while I decided I should work on the other hand as well -- and promptly put my left stick into my right hand. It took a while before I realised what had just happened...

Ha! How now.

You're fine, mate. They're all of the same type.

As long as you don't use Australian tension rods on the drums you should be fine. :)

As long as you don't use Australian tension rods on the drums you should be fine. :)

Hey now! Just because we pay more for them doesn't make them inferior!

Just don't overtighten them or they'll tell you to go elicit sexual relations with yourself :)

Do bear in mind that when south of the equator, you will need to turn the tension rods in the anti-clockwise direction to tighten them due to the Coriolis effect.

Back