Jimmy Page, 1957

That is great, thanks for posting! Of course that crash cymbal at 1:28 sounds like an industrial accident more than a cymbal, lol.

I wonder if this haunts Jimmy.... I picked up the Live Aid 1985 DVD set just recently, and I noticed the Led Zeppelin set was not on the discs too. I know Jimmy and the boys were very protective of what they let out to the public.

Thanks Aydee.....although I've seen it before (I actually have the footage on both vid and dvd), I always love seeing it. The man is one of my few musical "icons". I respect, enjoy and love the work of many, but only totally worship a select few. Page is one of those very few. One of two guitarists I'd sell my soul to make some music with.

Bo, you're right. If Jimmy doesn't think it'll be up to scratch it'll never see the light of day. There's a wealth of unreleased live Zepp footage in JP's vaults.....unfortunately, if he's not happy with the end game, we're not gonna see it......at least until he curls the toes up and his own personal "Priscilla Presley" decides to cash in.

Is he "haunted"? Nah. I've seen fottage of him commenting on this old vid. Simply, this is Jimmy Page, writer, producer, guitar slinger, session man extraodinaire, creater and lifeblood of one of the biggest rock acts of all time, cutting his teeth. We all started somewhere. At the end of the day, he "got there". What's to be embarrassed about? :)

Bo, you're right. If Jimmy doesn't think it'll be up to scratch it'll never see the light of day. There's a wealth of unreleased live Zepp footage in JP's vaults.....unfortunately, if he's not happy with the end game, we're not gonna see it......at least until he curls the toes up and his own personal "Priscilla Presley" decides to cash in.

Yup, he's a hardass. We need a Jimmyleak!

Good find, Abe.

What caught my attention is the relationship between the generations at the time. The young people were polite, humble, respectful of their elders, shyly looking down, speaking of sensible, respectable goals. Meanwhile the compere (arrogantly IMO) mutes the cymbal, and is clearly accustomed to being on top by virtue of the status conferred with age.

If he tried that muting stunt today he'd get a dirty look, at least. Maybe told, "Who said you can touch my %^&$* kit!?".

It's kind of unfair. Jimmy's generation had to be polite and humble and then once they became adults they missed out on the status of being an elders and are instead considered out-of-touch old farts (unless they're rock stars, of course :).

Good find, Abe.

What caught my attention is the relationship between the generations at the time. The young people were polite, humble, respectful of their elders, shyly looking down, speaking of sensible, respectable goals. Meanwhile the compere (arrogantly IMO) mutes the cymbal, and is clearly accustomed to being on top by virtue of the status conferred with age.

If he tried that muting stunt today he'd get a dirty look, at least. Maybe told, "Who said you can touch my %^&$* kit!?".

It's kind of unfair. Jimmy's generation had to be polite and humble and then once they became adults they missed out on the status of being an elders and are instead considered out-of-touch old farts (unless they're rock stars, of course :).

I remember those values back then, myself. I am not sure when all the rejection of those values started, but I pretty much guess it was here in the states over the Vietnam War. It seemed like over night in 1968 it became a fad for the baby boomer generation to completely rebel against the older generation, in every aspect possible, from hair styles, formalities, and cordialities to complete value systems. Then it seemed the generation after us couldn't shock us enough because we had rebeled against almost everything, so they stepped it up a notch into all that satanic, dark stuff. It seems now to have almost bottomed out, so who knows, after this world recession, we may all be headed back from whence we came.

As for that Live Aid show in 1985, I think Robert Plant had some bad things to say about that appearance, too, and I don't remember what he exactly said but I remember reading it back in the 90s. I believe that was the concert, too, where he made the decision to never do Stairway live again. It had something to do with Duran Duran coming up to them sobbing after their performance of that song, as I recall. Somehow that irritated him, maybe because he felt it suggested that song had become an "auld lang syne".

Heheh... Their drummer seems like the exact opposite of Bonzo!

As for that Live Aid show in 1985, I think Robert Plant had some bad things to say about that appearance, too, and I don't remember what he exactly said but I remember reading it back in the 90s. I believe that was the concert, too, where he made the decision to never do Stairway live again. It had something to do with Duran Duran coming up to them sobbing after their performance of that song, as I recall. Somehow that irritated him, maybe because he felt it suggested that song had become an "auld lang syne".

Not too many positive comments on that gig from any of the survivors. Plant, Jones and Page have all stated at one point or another that they were unprepared for the event. "Shambolic" is the word JP has used more than once, to describe it. Guitars were out of tune, stage monitoring was atrocious, they'd not played with Tony Thompson before etc etc. I've an interview on vid somewhere, where Page is less than kind with his comments on the performance of Phil Collins too......the price one pays for two gigs on two continents on the same day, I guess.

Nice find... funny how a number of those kids wanted to be research scientists! And the bass player making his own bass, I thought that was awesome. It reminded me of my dad because when he was young he built himself an electric guitar. He needed to in Soviet Russia as you couldn't purchase a Les Paul let alone any major manufacturer's guitar. Pretty funny story, as the band he was in would play Beatles songs, although the Beatles were banned from being played there at the time. They heard em on European radio.

The lead singer was the ultimate nerd and had the Harry Potter glasses way ahead of his time!

What's interesting is that Jimmy always claimed he couldn't sing, yet he was singing harmony and it sounded pretty good.

One thing I've noticed over time is that there was too much emphasis on Jimmy's dealings with the occult and his eccentricity. Especially after seeing the recent documentary movie with him, The Edge, and Jack White, Jimmy just seems like a cool guy you'd want to hang out with.

Here's the Yardbirds version of Dazed and Confused from 1968:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58mQvW0ROag&feature=related

Last edited:
... where Page is less than kind with his comments on the performance of Phil Collins too......the price one pays for two gigs on two continents on the same day, I guess.

I read an interview with Phil where he admitted that was a bad idea.
He also said that the Zep boys didn't want to do any sort of rehearsal or run-through of the songs beforehand. They laughed it off and felt that it would all just come together onstage like it always did. Not this time..

Back