Roland Octapad SPD-30 help needed!

I just bought this Octapad so play with my alternative rock/ electronic band and I am trying to understand its functionality.

I am starting to get used to the features and smoothly setting loops, and did some research about how to further build up my hybrid kit. So I bought roland pd-8 pads and I am thinking about buying the RT triggers for drum and snare, for live settings.

This is where I am confused. Upon attaching the pd-8 to the external trigger inputs...
"ride"= ride sound from the pad
"hi hat"= random sounds, high hat bow sounds?
"snare"= switches between "play" and "rec"
"kick"= random kick drums
"hh ctrl"= nothing
footswitch= allows me to use pads to operate the buttons

These triggers are not actually adding more pads on top of the 8 on the octapad? or are they just triggering one of the 8 pads?

Is there a way to specifically control and choose the tones that the external pd-8 will play, or 2 sounds even, since its a dual trigger? (so it plays a tone not already among the 8 on the octapad)

I am trying to figure out how to effectively get the most out of this octapad with my pd-8's! (bought 3 of them used)

And wondering if the RT triggers are something that I should consider buying.

Have you read the relevant pages in the SPD-30 Owners manual:
External Pad Settings (PAD SETTING-EXTERNAL) . . P 60
Specifying the External Pad Type (PAD TYPE) . . . . . P 61
Selecting an Inst (INST) . . . . .P 23

Also check PD-8 manual for recommended trigger settings . . . . P 12

Good luck with it

Have you read the relevant pages in the SPD-30 Owners manual:
External Pad Settings (PAD SETTING-EXTERNAL) . . P 60
Specifying the External Pad Type (PAD TYPE) . . . . . P 61
Selecting an Inst (INST) . . . . .P 23

Also check PD-8 manual for recommended trigger settings . . . . P 12

Good luck with it

Hey thanks for responding to my post. I went through the online manual as you suggested and now I am able to assign sounds for ride, hi hat, and kick.

the snare drum input still remainds for switching between PLAY and REC mode.

Is the snare trigger the only one that isnt changeable and assignable?

the snare drum input still remainds for switching between PLAY and REC mode.
Is the snare trigger the only one that isnt changeable and assignable?

I don't own a SPD-30, so I'm guessing that maybe the Ext Pad 2 setting in the System Control menu is set to PHRASE-LOOP CTRL, but it should be set to OFF for playing normal Snare sounds - check pages 53&4 in the manual.
If you want to remote control the PHRASE-LOOP CTRL you should try assigning it to a foot switch (in the same menu).

Back