...for the jazz cats ...

Hahaha. I almost re-posted that one. Never get tired of it.

I'm in. Play more than just jazz, but I do a fair amount of it around Detroit. Mostly organ trio stuff lately. I enjoy the r&b, funky aspect to organ trio jazz. Just led a trio at a great place here in town called the Cadieux Café couple of weeks ago. They have a great series called "Soul Jazz Sunday". Gives many of us a cool place to play and jam.

In the 1950's into the 60's a lot of places in Chicago had lunchtime groups with grand piano, acoustic upright bass, and a drummer playing a snare and hihat. As a young drummer I always wondered what was going through the drummer's head...did he wish he had more stuff to play on etc.

Last night I finally got the chance to try it myself....piano, female vocalist and self on just
a 3.5" x 14" maple snare and hihat at a country club gig. Had a blast (not to mention I could
carry my gear in in one trip easily). Not once during the evening did I wish I had something else. (Ok, had a cowbell with me and a grippy rubber pad where I could set it on the edge of
the snare if absolutely necessary...but didn't need it.) With hands, several types of brushes, sticks and tympani beaters I could get everything I wanted.

It would be fun to do this again!

whats good cats?

in case you are not up on it I am here to urge you to go to iTunes right now and purchase the album Migration by Antonio Sanchez.

I am proclaiming it one of the greatest jazz albums in the last 35 years

if you want to sample it before buying it in it's entirety just but the song... "Did You Get It?"

so F'n burning ..... Antonio sounds like he is channelling a 20 year old Tony Williams .... ridiculous .... seriously .... I find myself yelling out loud in the car alone when that tune is playing

..... you are welcome in advance

Anthony

ps. I miss dmacc

Just caught this Anthony... Thanks man...

You ain't kidding about Sanchez's Migration Band. He's the now and a big part (in my view) of the future hope of where all this will go.

Not the same lineup as the Migration album (which is monstrous as you point out), but it's some serious killing stuff.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvzQevmhkvI

Can i join this thread?
Of course! Welcome!

Fuchsia Swing Song is terrific. I think the first Sam Rivers date, at least as a leader. Tony is ridiculous. Another recording from 1964. When December rolls around, I'm going to be busy posting to the "On this day 50 years ago" thread; tons of the classics came out at the end of that year.

I was born at the wrong time.

Hi, I understand you are making a thread with the Jazz guys on the site.

My name is Alex Sanguinetti, I¨m a drummer and drum teacher from Valencia, Spain

Here a VIDEO of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t0XzNlIdu8

AlexSanguinettiRocky_zpsf2d880d1.png

Best regards to all!

Alex Sanguinetti

Horace Silver has died at the age of 85. He was one of my true heroes as a composer and jazz visionary and founder of the Jazz Messengers along with Art Blakey.

A lot of great music this man made.

Back