anybody use the pearl iss suspention on thier floor tom?

I have a 16x16 floor tom. I mounted it on my ride cymbal stand and it fell over. Anyone else try this? I had it standing for a while and it sounded great but wasn't so sturdy. I don't want to damage my drum. Help

Re: anybody use the pearl iss suspension on the floor tom?

I wouldn't if I were you. I personally despise ISS mounts. Several years ago I witnessed a 12" tom fall off the ISS mounts bouncing from the bass drum as it hit the floor. I really don't believe putting a 16" x 16" drum on one of those mounts is a very good idea.

Dennis

Yes I have the same iss mounts and do not like them for my 16X16. works on my 14 fine, but i can tell the hoop will start to bend very soon, wrecking the resonance of the drum. It would be a good idea for your to put legs mounts on your 16", or if you don't want to add onto your drum use an
http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/dynamount.html
great idea, although expensive, you will get a very similar sound, pretty much the same with that kind of mount as the ISS

I wouldn't if I were you. I personally despise ISS mounts. Several years ago I witnessed a 12" tom fall off the ISS mounts bouncing from the bass drum as it hit the floor. I really don't believe putting a 16" x 16" drum on one of those mounts is a very good idea.

Dennis

If you saw a cymbal fall off an improperly setup boom stand, would you go on a straight-stands-only crusade?

I mean, any piece of hardware can be set up or used improperly...

Not that I'd want a 16x16 floor on an ISS mount either. I do like the Pearl Air Suspension feet for floor toms. They aren't expensive either.

There's so many other variables that you didn't talk about that we can't really say if the issue was the ISS mount.

You say it's a "16x16 floor tom". You took an ISS mount from elsewhere on your kit and tried hanging the floor tom from a stand. Is this correct? Very few, if any, manufacturers make 16x16 hanging toms, and that size is almost purely reserved for actual floor toms.

If the stand fell over, I am going to imagine/assume that you did not have a tripod leg directly under the suspended tom, which is a recipe for tipover.

I bought a 14x16 suspended tom for my current set, which worked fine when I was using a rack; However, when I moved to stands, I removed the mount and put it on floor tom legs. The drum immediately opened up with more bottom and sustain. I also did not have to worry about relative positioning of the floor tom and the cymbal stand. Now I'm thinking of throwing legs on my 12x14 tom to get the same sound difference for that drum.

I would urge you to keep your floor tom in its natural habitat - on the ground - and if for some reason you do decide to hang it, get a RIMS-style mount, or something other than ISS. The previous posters are correct in that a heavy drum will be stressed with ISS, leading to pinched sound, and eventually warped rims. Horrible design, how it ever got out the door I'll never know.

If you saw a cymbal fall off an improperly setup boom stand, would you go on a straight-stands-only crusade?

I mean, any piece of hardware can be set up or used improperly...

Not that I'd want a 16x16 floor on an ISS mount either. I do like the Pearl Air Suspension feet for floor toms. They aren't expensive either.

I never saw a cymbal fall off any type of cymbal stand, boom or straight stand, but I did witness a 12" Pearl Vision rack tom fall off an ISS mount. In my opinion, If you have less than stellar results with your boom stands, just buy better next time. I can suggest some if you wish, but I don't believe Pearl has a "good", better" or "best" criterion on their ISS mounts.

Dennis

ISS is the most dangerous mounting system ever devised. Avoid at all costs. Yet, a 16" floor tom is big. It can be done, but the question is, would you want to? If it has legs, have you considered swapping out the feet for Pearl's resonant floor tom feet? I have those on one of my floor toms and the drum just sings because it's floating on the rubber feet. Very cool. My Tama Starclassic kit came with their rubber feet which I guess has a built in air-pocket so those legs are floating off the ground as well. Ingenious. Too bad they didn't come up with that back in the 60s - the idea to hang the floor toms might never have come up ;)

Back