SO what annoys you? (The so is on purpose)

Today's annoyance:

Store Gift Cards

The marketing jackal that thought these up should be a target for rotten tomato throwing classes. I simply refuse to give these as gifts now unless I absolutely know the recipient wants one from this particular store. In the US, there are only a handful of states with cash redemption laws, and most of those are for when the card value falls below $5. Under the current scheme, every scenario favors the store over the consumer. Let's say you receive a $25 card for store X from your auntie.

1. If you want something at store X already and it's over $25, this is the best case scenario for you. It's no different than if auntie handed you $25 on the way into the store. And it's no different for the store, either.

2. What if what you want is less than $25? You now have the option of handing the difference to the store as extra profit or (more typically) you search around the store for something that bridges the gap, something you wouldn't have bought otherwise, thus generating extra sales for store X. Either situation is extra profit for the store.

3. Then there's the possibility that you can't find anything you want/need at store X. If you leave the card in your sock drawer gathering dust, that's pure profit for the store. You could wander around the store and buy something-anything really, but if you don't need it that seems like a terrible waste. Besides, you still have scenario 2 to deal with depending on what you buy.

4. Re-gift. You could give the gift card to a third party as a gift but now you're just passing the problem onto another person.

5. Sell it to a third party at a loss. Duh.

The truly evil version of the gift card is the "gift card with interest". That is, the store charges you interest which is deducted from the card value for every month the card is not used.

Yeah, I received a gift card the other week...

Today's annoyance:

Store Gift Cards

The marketing jackal that thought these up should be a target for rotten tomato throwing classes. I simply refuse to give these as gifts now unless I absolutely know the recipient wants one from this particular store. In the US, there are only a handful of states with cash redemption laws, and most of those are for when the card value falls below $5. Under the current scheme, every scenario favors the store over the consumer. Let's say you receive a $25 card for store X from your auntie.

1. If you want something at store X already and it's over $25, this is the best case scenario for you. It's no different than if auntie handed you $25 on the way into the store. And it's no different for the store, either.

2. What if what you want is less than $25? You now have the option of handing the difference to the store as extra profit or (more typically) you search around the store for something that bridges the gap, something you wouldn't have bought otherwise, thus generating extra sales for store X. Either situation is extra profit for the store.

3. Then there's the possibility that you can't find anything you want/need at store X. If you leave the card in your sock drawer gathering dust, that's pure profit for the store. You could wander around the store and buy something-anything really, but if you don't need it that seems like a terrible waste. Besides, you still have scenario 2 to deal with depending on what you buy.

4. Re-gift. You could give the gift card to a third party as a gift but now you're just passing the problem onto another person.

5. Sell it to a third party at a loss. Duh.

The truly evil version of the gift card is the "gift card with interest". That is, the store charges you interest which is deducted from the card value for every month the card is not used.

Yeah, I received a gift card the other week...

The wife and I were talking about this just the other day, specifically restaurant gift cards. Why would someone want to receive a Taco Bell gift card as a gift? And who would be that inconsiderate to force someone to eat at a specific food establishment? This seems like the worst gift ever to me. Just send me a use anywhere gift card so I can decide what to do with it. Or even better, just send me the money.

I believe it's part of the feline genome.

Here is some evidence.

Classic! I loved it. Reinforces the saying "dogs have owners, cats have staffs".

TODAY'S RANT

People who ask questions that they already know the answer to - they hear the question asked in a small setting and then use it to look smart in front of a larger gathering. Dunno if I described that well or not.

EDIT: I also hate when people respond to a thread when they really don't have anything to say. Going to take a break for a while....

MM

Last edited:
Today's annoyance:

Store Gift Cards

More than happy to recieve them. If someone's ever at a loss then I'll always toss out a hint that a gift card from either:

1. Bunnings Hardware
2. JB HI FI
3. Drumtek or GH Music
4. Dan Murphys Liquor Store

will be more than appreciated.

More often than not, they've ensured I haven't been stuck with something I really didn't want in the first place. Granted, I would be less than impressed with a gift card from Taco Bell though.

Store gift cards....where they take perfectly good money and make it so you can only use it at one place.

Worlds worst gift. Not even fit for re-gifting.

FAKES
Fake Rolex
Fake Auto Parts
Fake Louis Vuitton
Fake Salvador Dali Signatures
Fake Shure SM57 Microphones

GJS

So Last night I am watching Shark Tank, and there is a guy there who just started a company which made I think 350,000.00 last year selling gift cards. He will give you 75% of face value, then sells them for 90% through PayPal. The Sharks did make him an offer he liked, but at a percentage of the company a bit higher than he had hoped. Oh and I started my post with SO. SOrry

Slow left lane drivers (right lane for Brits and Aussies)
Loud chewing, smacking, crunching, open mouth when eating.
When people sniffle a lot and do loud "nose breathing" with mucus sounds when a simple nose blowing would solve the problem. Can't stand that.

Then you'll absolutely adore the Death Tax.

Rich people don't pay estate taxes, at least not in the manner a simple reading of the law states. They have ways around that. They have ways around almost everything. Except death.

But they're working on it.

Rich people don't pay estate taxes, at least not in the manner a simple reading of the law states. They have ways around that. They have ways around almost everything. Except death.

But they're working on it.

If rich people can figure out how not to die, I am going to eat one so this knowledge will be imparted on me. Since I am not rich, I imagine they wont just tell me.

Not an annoyance, just a question. Why do we use the term old school "phat" sound when describing snare drums, when old school would surely be "fat" sound since "phat" is a relatively new word used to describe women as pretty hot and tempting.?

Not an annoyance, just a question. Why do we use the term old school "phat" sound when describing snare drums, when old school would surely be "fat" sound since "phat" is a relatively new word used to describe women as pretty hot and tempting.?

when you say, 'wow, she's phat!' how do your peers know what fat/phat you're talking about?

Basically they don't know, but if the female is slim, and attractive it's pretty obvious which phat was used. I haven't used the term since it is from a generation much younger than me, but certainly not "old school"

Back