POWER FLOAT pros/cons, discuss

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
OK, I vote for undersized shells but this looks interesting.

I'd be worried about denting the bearing edges.

Anyone get to play em' at NAMM?

The POWER FLOAT

...yeah, and what about the new, expensive bags I just bought????

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    137 KB · Views: 240
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 238
You would have to but the plastic replacement bearing edges in bulk

Turn any tom into a gong drum at least that's my take on it I think it would be cooler on larger size toms IMO

Bonzolead

Kind of reminds me of the Pearl toms with the big extenders on the lugs.
Even S-Hoops wouldn't save the edges from a good, accidental whack.
Eeessh...
FORGET about sharing a kit on a gig!!

Sorry, but this looks like one of those products that ends up in the "Remember this device?" article in drum mags.
But, what do I know?

Someone please explain, what's this supposed to do?
Did you watch the video?

To get more for less, getting 'bigger' sounds out of 'smaller' drum diameter without the need to actually buy larger sized toms/drums.
(To damage the bearing edges and get very frustrated because of that.)

One could just get the respective tom/drum sizes and thus, wouldn't need a power float. The idea/concept is cool but the way it's implemented (for now) seems imperfect to me, as far as I can judge. Just a thought: That concept might be great for brushwork (the bearing edges would stay in virgin mode).

I don't think that I will be installing them on my kits anytime soon.

The claim of bigger sounds is dubious to say the least. The shell diameter hasn't changed, & nor has the effective area of the head. I think I know what they're shooting for, but we've developed a double bearing edge profile that achieves results whilst retaining normal sizing ratios. In fact, you wouldn't know it was there at all except for the change in head dynamics.

Apart from the obvious bearing edge damage potential on this product, it just looks butt ugly!

yes the bearing edges..duh looks like someone's got too much time on their hands..lol

Bonzolead

Apart from the obvious bearing edge damage potential on this product, it just looks butt ugly!

Even S-Hoops wouldn't save the edges from a good, accidental whack.
Eeessh...
FORGET about sharing a kit on a gig!!

Sorry, but this looks like one of those products that ends up in the "Remember this device?" article in drum mags.
But, what do I know?

Don't think I would be able to enjoy whatever enhanced tone this thing gives you.
I would be too worried about smacking the bearing edges. That would just ruin your day...

The claim of bigger sounds is dubious to say the least. The shell diameter hasn't changed, & nor has the effective area of the head. I think I know what they're shooting for, but we've developed a double bearing edge profile that achieves results whilst retaining normal sizing ratios. In fact, you wouldn't know it was there at all except for the change in head dynamics.

+1 on this. Plus imagine the space between 2 rack toms now with all of the extra overhang in between the toms.

...yeah, and what about the new, expensive bags I just bought????

Yep - new bags... new heads... new RIMS mounts... new hoops (new kick hoops, what fun!) And suppose you want this on your floor tom reso side... how do you deal with the legs to clear the extended hoop size??

Somehow I missed these at my 4+ days at NAMM, and hadn't heard of them until now. Obviously it's difficult to judge sounds on a video made in a noisy area, but the drums sound fine. As do all of my un-modded drums. A more correct comparison would be a standard tom next to the same tom with the Power Float, so any differences would be apparent. But there's no such audio or video on their site. :(

At $48 per drum, plus the above added costs, this is a potentially expensive 'upgrade'.

Bermuda

Back