Great car for a drummer

I am a mechanical engineer, and just do not like cars to be so dependent on electronics, computers and electrical systems. To paraphrase Smokey Yunick, cars are no place for computers. The car also has electric windows, and I keep thinking what would happen if I were to drive into a lake? Everyone would be calling me Ted.

I'm with you!

As a dyed in the wool petrol head, I hate the all pervasive nannying that is now built into almost all cars.

A few weeks ago I was at a car event. Parked there was a Lamborghini. And it had parking sensors. No doubt it also had cup holders, a touch screen LCD and miles and miles of cabling to run all the crap that has been added to what is supposed to be a sports car...a car supposedly designed for the joy of driving by people who have spent time to develop the capability of driving it.

In the countryside around Sydney there are some cable operated ferries. Whenever I use one, if I am in a modern car, I roll down the electric windows before driving onto the thing.

I've been running a 1995 Honda Odyssey (first generation) for almost 20 years now. 260,000 miles and still going strong. Not really fond of the whole mini-van image, but it's been a great vehicle. If anything happens to it I'd likely get the new Ford Transit Connect cargo van to double my cargo capacity.

I love my 05 Reg Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec.

Not a particularly practical car if you're a drummer that has an eight-piece kit but I cannot sing my car's praises enough. 98,000 miles on the clock with original clutch and only a couple of small issues that aren't drivetrain related.

I've just driven it around the UK for the last week and it's been an absolute trooper.

If you need a small, cheap, efficient car that is fun to drive and you only have a small kit, I'd honestly look no further...

I also find the idea of automatic gearboxes baffling.

The bloke in the flat upstairs owns one and is a continual nuisance with his parking.

Hmm. I think you're on to something, SquadLeader.

These are much better imho: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Touran
Smaller than a Touareg on the outside, much bigger inside. That's because VW slightly bent the spacetime in the boot, according to a very old German patent.

also, you can haul a ton of cocaine around in it and no police officer will ever suspect you :)

My wife came very close to buying one of those when they came out. I remember looking at one at a dealership and they even had a custom fitting tent you could attach to the back to make it comfortable to sleep in. I suppose it would be the ultimate for the musician whose vehicle is also his/her home. ;-)

My ride, 2012 Chevy Sonic LTZ Turbo:

Sonic-side-view-450x337.jpg

I've actually managed to load it up with an eight-piece kit (in cases), a big rack, mic stands, the whole works (though it left barely enough room for me to drive and made it very difficult to shift). However, I travel much lighter for most gigs so it's typically perfect (and it gets incredible mileage).

I've had a Chevy Sonic RS Turbo for a little over a year now and I LOVE this car. Best car I've ever had. It was my first semi small car, as I've mainly owned larger sedans and suv's in the past. Best part is gas mileage though. Handles like a dream, and fits more gear than you'd imagine. I get around 28 mpg in the city and 36 on the highway. With gas prices now, I spend about $45 a month on gas. I like the orange color you have, pretty cool. I have the Cyber Grey Metallic one.

Almost all cars have space for a reasonable amount of drums.

This pretty much sums it up. Certainly any mid-size car and up will do. There are cars of every size in every price range. When I started traveling the college circuit in the late 70's, I had a Chrysler Cordoba, 2 door sedan that worked fine...although tight.

i Bought a 2014 Mazda 3 Hatch.works great.Took my bigger kit to dealership to make sure it would fit ok......avg 39 MPG.Great car.

This didn't work

ry%3D400

Nor did this

ry%3D400

This one works, V-10 Ford Excursion................but I get around 2 gallons to the mile..........but everything fits! Couldn't find an actual pic of mine, but here's one from the web.

2001_ford_excursion_4dr-suv_limited_fq_oem_2_500.jpg

You're joking, right? Cars have had electrical systems for 80 years. Cars have been utterly dependent on computers for a generation. Cars and computers coexist. Get over it. Don't be ass enough to drive into a lake - seriously, how probable is that? - and you'll be fine. If you're that worried about it, get one of those tools that first responders carry.

Anyway, another vote for the Scion xB here. Had the old body style and loved loved loved it. I have a 2-door JK Wrangler now, and can opine without reservation that it is NOT a drummer's car. Barely enough room for a 5-pc kit, and that's with the back seat completely removed.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have not bought the Wrangler and bought a Honda Element. What a marvelous machine. I considered buying a used or off-lease one when I bought my Jeep in 2012 (Honda stopped making Element in 2011). Been kicking myself ever since.

I'm an electrical engineer and I really miss the old mechanical ignition systems. Quite often an expensive car repair is due more to a defective sensor or firmware than it is to a malfunctioning mechanical part. Give an ignition system with points, plugs and a condenser any day of the week! Even the old Lucas ignitions! It used to be that I could tune a car in no time now I need a laptop with the correct ports and ridiculouly expensive software. You could fix most mechanical problems with a bare minimum of tools and a decent amount of knowledge. Even on the side of the road. We just had to buy an $800 USD computer for my wife's car and that one was used! I'll pass.

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 hatch and my 7 piece kit (single bass drum) and hardware, all in cases, fits perfectly, (although I wouldn't be able to carry anything else), but the passenger seat is completely open for the significant other. I'm always amazed how much stuff I can ram in there.

Back